What brand of tyre?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Hopsterman, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    I just got my first puncture on the rear wheel. What brand of tyre do u reckon?

Currently got stock Dunlop 204s on but will need to put new tyre on

2. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Take those D204's throw em in the water to make a midget artificial reef. I had them & they sucked big time. If you want to stick with a more sport-touring type tire instead of a super-sport tire, I can give a definite recommendation for the Continental Road Attack. I never knew how good my bike handled until I got rid of my 204's at mounted them. If you want a SS tire, I would go with either Pilot Power or Qualifiers.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

3. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Tire choice is a topic of much debate. The type of riding you do and the type of weather you ride in are what determines my personal choice. I am in the process of making a tire choice for my newly purchased 2k VFR. I live in NYC and ride year round. My choice is based on my need for a tire that is easier to get warmed up quickly and has great grip in the rain and on uneven surfaces. Also want great performance on dry twisty roads. I have narrowed my choices down to the Avon AV49\AV50 Azaro and the Pirelli Diablo Strada tires. The are other great choices and the Pilot Powers are a very popular choice. I am more prone to go with the Avon tires because I have used them before and find them to be great performers in the rain with great cornering performance and they are easy to get warmed up in colder temperatures. Go with the tires you have the most confindence in and you will ride well and hopefully safely.

4. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    The climate here is quite hot, so having to warm them up is usually not an issue. Definately sport touring, not super sport is what im after. The bike is new, about 3000km on the clock, so im leaning towards another dunlop for the rear to match the front.

I dont ride hard enough to notice if the tyres are bad, and the roads here are not twisty at all.

The bike is new, only about 3000km on the clock, so im leaning towards another dunlop for the rear to match the near new front.

5. grinder

grinder New Member

Hopsterman, a word of caution on the Dunlops. I have had mine for about 4,500k. Up to 3000 or so I thought they were pretty good but now they are going down hill. I have been meticulous about tire pressure yet they are starting to square of and the front is starting to loose its grip. They have plenty of tread left with only minimal noticable wear. I don't ride real hard but I do ride the twisties reasonably often. The big issue is they are starting to make me a bit nervous and I doubt very much that I will keep them till they wear out. In the warmer climates of Australia they may be OK but the pavement can still get cold at times.

6. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    I don't have much experience with Dunlops, when I bought my '94 it had a Dunlop on the front & a Bridgestone BT020 on the rear. Changed the front for a BT020 straight away, I haven't had a Dunlop on any bike since then.

Most popular tyre on the OZVFR forum seems to be Pilot Power. A common combination is Pilot Power on the front & a Pilot Road on the rear. Or Powers both ends if you are constantly in the twisties.

7. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    I have the new Dunlopp Qualifiers which replaced the 208's, and so far i am happy with them I replaced the rear first and now have a little over 4K miles on it and the front has between 1 and 2K miles. I use my ride mostly to commute but I do go for rides int he twisties now and again.

8. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    Im gonna put a qualifier on the rear and replace the set when that wears out. I reckon I would have been lucky to get 6000km from the 204 rear. So ill need to keep my eye on the wear on the front.

Can you give me an indication how worn is your qualifier rear after 4000 miles?

9. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    I had BT020's on my R6 and thought they were ok

10. macmorgan

macmorgan New Member

Map
    Dunlop Qualifier hands down!!!

11. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
  12. djleather

djleather New Member

I recommend Continental Sport Attack. They feel and perform great and wear well too. But then again it depends on what characteristics you like in a tire. I found this website listed below very helpful. It's a must read for just about any motorcyclist.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/tires.php

13. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    I replaced the rear tire at 44,800 miles and have just over 50,100 miles on the clock now. My rides are mostly commute (straight line) and I can see the wear bar on the rear tire. I have occasionally spun the rear to clean off wetness or debris (sometimes I cut across the grass at the apt.) or to get a litle heat in the rear if the pavement is cold. This tactic is not a regular occurance. I would say that I have another 1000 or so miles to go in it, maybe more. The sides have plenty of tread left.

14. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Hey Vman - you have 4k miles on the rear for the Dunlop Qualifier? I never get that kind of mileage on a sport tire.

MD

15. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    Almost 5500 mello. I have to say I am pleased with the new Dunlop Qualifiers and how they wear. I usually have good luck with Dunlops. Used them a lot when racing MX. I had a choice of Mich. Pilots, the Conti's, and the Dunlops. Both Micf's and Dunlop's were about the same price so I thought I would give the Quals a try. Like I said, I am pleased so far. Its a new compound over the old 208's from what I read and it is supposed to wear longer like a touring tire, but still give the performance of a sport tire.

16. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Wow - that sounds pretty good. I have been running 208s and rear is usually gone by 2500. My current 208 rear looks to be on that track too. I had been debating to go to an ST tire but have avoided it because while leaned over I like the thing to stick. I'm going to Q's next time.

Thanks
    MD

17. Ferris

Ferris New Member

FWIW, the Metzeler Z6 Roadtecs I'm running now are not so great. Kinda slow to warm up, and a little unpredictable about where the adhesion limit is. They aren't really wearing especially well, either.

This is a real shame, since the MEZ4 they discontinued was a darn good ST tire.

Bro in law loves the Pilot Powers he recently installed.

Of course, I say they stink because they are on his bike.

18. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

I run with Metzler Sportec front and rear. I have always liked metzler. I also own a pair of racetecs (for the track) Metzler only makes motorcycle tires. I have had no problem warming them up and they stick to the road like glue at all angles of lean. they do wear fast but at a buck forty i never want to have to worry about tires. That is an E ticket ride and for a little more than a couple of hundred bucks. my baby always has new shoes in the closet
    Dan