What is this? Ghetto wired under right fairing

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Yn3ss, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Yn3ss

Yn3ss New Member

Canada
    Hello everyone! Long time vfr owner (4th gen) and new 6th gen owner wrenching on the bike for the first time. Had some electrical gremlins due to the r/r (I hope), and found this sexy connector.

[​IMG]

Fun times. Anyways, while I had the right fairing off, I discovered this red thing. There are some chips sunk into epoxy and a red light in the center. The red light comes on when the ignition is switched on. There are no markings (other than the chip info) on it. The chip (KSL K5V-1) appears to be a pcb mount spdt switch "for signal circuits".

The blue wires don't appear to go anywhere. There's a ground wire just offscreen and the purple wires go to somewhere underneath the airbox. The red wire is spliced into the red/black wire coming from the key cylinder (which I assume is to grab a switched 12v?).

[​IMG]

Under the airbox.

[​IMG]

I was hoping this looked familiar to one of the gurus on here and they could tell me what it was for.

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Under the airbox is the inlet air temperature sensor I believe.

The melted connector on the alternator wire is not necessarily a fault due to the RR and in fact it could be that the melted stuff caused the RR demise. Those connectors get wet, corrode, then the corrosion increases the resistance for all the current passing through. High resistance = heat = melt, then the connectors can touch.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    that melting is very, very common. :( apparently honda had top class mechanical engineers and woefully inadequate electrical engineers. :confused:

4. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Strange setup. It looks like it is providing adjustable voltage to something on the bike. Any chance you can find where the purple wires go to?
    Also, where in Canada are you?

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    For adjustable heated vest? Or grips?

6. Yn3ss

Yn3ss New Member

Canada
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Someone on VFRD was able to identify it:
    https://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/dyno-boost-atv-performance-chip/intimidator

As far as the electrical... replaced the r/r, but still wasn't getting a charge. Tested the stator and all of the cold tests were fine, but when I ran it, I was only getting ~6VAC off the pins. Replacement is on its way.

As an aside, since I have to go through the effort of creating a vector diagram to laser cut the stator gasket anyway, would anyone else be interested in the dxf if I posted it here?

@zombie - west coast

zombie likes this.
  7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Thought maybe it was a Fuel Shark prototype

[​IMG]