What kind of fuel rating to use?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Dragon66, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Dragon66

Dragon66 New Member

Stupid here, what fuel rating should go in to 1986 VFR 500 after carb cleaning?

2. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    From Personal exsperiance just run regular unleaded.
    I used Premium in my 750 when I first got her & seen no real advantage in doing so. Infact I feel she is running a bit better on the lower octane.

3. commrad

commrad New Member

with the alcohol in fuel now days it slows combustion speeds down. I run premium in my 500 over 90 deg, mid grade between 80 and 90 and if I'm riding in the cold I buy the cheap stuff. I all ways put an ounce of marine sta-bil per fill up and about every third tank I drop in a few ounces of marvel mystery oil.

4. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    I have tried all the octane ratings in my 500, no significant difference in performance or fuel mileage.

5. commrad

commrad New Member

forgot to mention that, I didn't see any difference other than engine temperature with fuel changes. It runs the same on all 3 grades. I did run 100 low lead from the airport a few times, that I did see a slight power and mileage increase with decreased temps but it was not worth the money.

6. davjohns

davjohns New Member

I run the best stuff available. With the mileage you get from a bike, I don't see the point in skimping. Also, the higher octane is more refined, so it is cleaner on the fuel system. Probably not a difference I will ever see, but for the extra dollar per fill-up, I don't care.

7. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    The higher octane will burn cleaner. Cleaner also means hotter.

If you're not using a stabilizer, and it takes you longer than say, 2 weeks to burn through a tank of gas, you might want to consider mid grade or premium. Only because untreated fuel can lose its octane rating in as little as 2 weeks.

Not likely you'd see any difference in performance.

8. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting. My take is that I like Chevron because of the Techron. The Premium grade has a little more, so I buy the premium. LIke others, I find the small cost differential worth it to get more of the stuff I find valuable.

I am one of those folks who will sometimes take more than two weeks to go through my fuel, especially in the winter. If the better grade is more stable, then that is a solid, additional reason to like using Premium grade gas. I will have to read up on this one.

Jose

9. Dragon66

Dragon66 New Member

Thanxs for all the input--still trying to get her started--third time I had the carbs off to clean-permatex#2 soft seal does not work for a gasket at all..what a mess inside the bowls-4hrs later I use High Tack..lets see if I get better results. had a hard time with the Clymer manuel to reset the floats..hope I got it right. Not getting enough fuel to keep her started,all vaccum hooked up right. Any other Ideas. I bench sync and preset the pilot jets to try to get iin the ball park to sync her while she runs. Can't get her to idle right either.

10. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Jose - the world of small engines and 2 strokes is actually a good example of this. In little yard engines - weed wackers, blowers, etc. - almost every manufacturer will tell you to use premium. Since the gas is mixed with oil, the higher temps and cleaner burning are necessary to remove the carbon deposits, otherwise you end up with carbon fouled pistons and rings.

Of course, our bikes are 4 strokes, but that doesn't change the principal.

I'm always open to learn something new, so if you find stuff, I'd definitely like to know. Thanks! (No, that's not sarcasm).