What PCV map should I run with a 2003 VFR800, K&N and TBR exhaust?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by signal, Aug 22, 2013.

1. signal

signal Definitely Not New Member

United States
    I have been trying to read as much as I can on this. I have a 2003 VFR800, with a Two brothers carbon black exhaust and K&N filter.

Two Brothers has a PCIII map that looks quite old:
    Two Brothers Racing :: Customer Service :: Power Commander Maps
    It's map m111-002

Also I have seen on VFR Discussion, they have a Cozy map, which doesn't have the lower VTEC engagement points. As well as tdmp's modified Cozy map for PCV Modified Cozy_ver5 for PCV. I was thinking about using this modified Cozy map for PCV........

Does anyone with more experience (I have none) with the PCV and TBR exhaust have any suggestions on what I should try? I just do street riding, I want a nice smooth setup.

2. Guj

Guj New Member

Download one that is close (do you have a PCIII or PCV?), then get it dyno tuned.

3. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I might piggyback a question I need to ask since it's closely related to this one: if you are only running a K&N air filter (no PC or aftermarket pipes), do you need a different fuel map?

4. Guj

Guj New Member

The FI system should be able to compinsate for the K&N.

5. signal

signal Definitely Not New Member

United States
    So I installed the modified Cozy v5 map (for PCV) and it seems to work pretty good, so much better than without the PCV. Still bumping this thread because I know many of you have PCV's and TBR exhaust so looking for what map those of you who have played around a bit settled on.

6. JamesD

JamesD New Member

I downloaded the closest I could find and said the heck with the dyno run after I heard the price.

7. Guj

Guj New Member

I'm just lazy and haven't had mine dynoed either. The AutoTune should get me closer.

8. JamesD

JamesD New Member

Mine is too old for the AutoTune. :(

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    So I have the Leos and PCV and the shop that installed it said they downloaded what I needed. It cost 3 bones to dyno...would the autotune do the same thing and how much are they. Wounder if it would be worth it? thanks

10. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Tyarosevich:

I emailed DynaJet and they responded:

The air filter [K & N] does not make a substantial difference to the Power Commander map. The map files should run fine with stock or aftermarket air filters installed..

I used the map for stock exhaust & O2 eliminator (recommended with PC III) M111-001 and it works great.

You can make your own O2 eliminator with 2 330 ohm 1 watt resistors. See picture in the following link.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/uploads/1141759979/gallery_4428_747_79599.jpg

11. nih

nih New Member

Map
    thanks allyance, been reading on pc3 as well, 2003, still deciding if changing exhaust or not, have the cozy maps. was $275 for custom map on honda in toledo. find anywhere for cheap pc3? cheapest ive seen in $258, stock exhaust?

12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I was lucky and bought a used PC III off Superman7 in the classifieds. Have not seen it cheaper than $258

13. MackerVFR

MackerVFR New Member

I'm bringing this one back as I have a PCV and Two Bros Ti Slip-on enroute to me as we speak, and this thread never reached much of a conclusion. Anyone else want to chime in on what map they went with? There is no Dyno in my area, and there will be no auto tune as I already shelled out enough and my RC needs some lovin too.

So - what are you boys running for maps on PCV with TBR slip-ons?

14. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Get a Dynotune custom map.

15. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    MackerVFR - downloads section on VFRD has all the maps to choose from.

I have an '02 with PCV, K&N and stock exhaust and have used both the 'modified cozye' map and 'gpm-reading6' maps, can't remember which is loaded now but I think its GPM's. He had stock exhaust, without re-reading all the threads I think the cozye map was made with aftermarket pipes. Not sure how much you've read into the subject but both GPM and Coderighter have outstanding threads on VFRD detailing everything about the PCV/autotune install/usage/tweaks/etc etc

Both maps did wonders for my bike - it truly is smoother and feels more responsive right through the rev range. I just installed my autotune so will be playing with that this summer. If you are in Halifax, perhaps we can meet up for a ride some day (I'm in Dartmouth).

16. MackerVFR

MackerVFR New Member

Perhaps a little less responding before a little more reading has been done...

17. MackerVFR

MackerVFR New Member

rhoderage thank you for the help - I wasn't aware there was a map database on site. I've been running searches on my topic but it's been a little frustrating as such terms like "2 bros" and "pcv" bring up all kinds of unrelated threads. Lots of crap to filter through. There is a 2bros map on the Dynotune website, but I was curious if anyone found some of the alternatives - (such as the Coyze map you mentioned) to be superior to the canned map on the website

I'm in Dartmouth as well! Always looking for people to get out with - fire me a message and we can definitely go for a spin

18. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
    I have GPR cans with an 5th gen catless exhaust and BMC filter I used M16-005-012

With great results!

19. MackerVFR

MackerVFR New Member

Thank you for editing your post to bring something more constructive to the conversation ;)

You're absolutely right about the custom tune being the ideal way to go. A canned tune will never account for all the variables that occur from one motorcycle to the other: mods, mechanical condition, atmospheric differences, etc. I'm aware that any premade map will contain compromises for my particular machine. Quite frankly though I'm not sure there's even a motorcycle Dyno within 200 miles :p Something to look into long term for sure.

In the meantime my PCV will be arriving next week and I'm looking for the best plug-n-play download, whether it's a canned map or a member custom tune. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Keep them coming

20. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, man. I wasn't trying to be a troll.