What to look for..in a VFR

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by HOGUE5150, Jan 6, 2015.

1. HOGUE5150

HOGUE5150 New Member

I hope to be in the market to buy a use VFR this year. I am thinking anything from 2000 to 2009 should be within my price range. What are some of the things that I need to look for that are unique to the VFRs? Were there any years that were better than others?

2. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    I can't help you in what to look for but below is an ebay link for a fairly nice 2007. I have seen this bike at the dealer and it is pretty nice and for a reasonable price. If I recall I think they have dropped the price on this about 1500 bucks since November. I have not talked to them so I don't know details but it looks well maintained. It does have an after market seat and Helibars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Inter...c9475d563&item=191469311331&pt=US_motorcycles

3. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    All VFRS up to about 2007 has issues with the regulator rectifier (R/R). Use the search function on this board and you'll see tons of posts. Better to research yourself, but here's a thread that has been passed around for years and should be helpful. When you go to buy, bring a multimeter; no exceptions!

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/39277-How-to-fix-common-regulator-Stator-failures

The 2002 to 2005 had a wiring harness recall. Running the VIN through any Honda dealer will tell you if its been done.

All VFRs have rather weak suspension, at least if you're over about 185#s. You might want to upgrade if funds permit.

5th Gen - 98-01 - have the gear driven cams. Awesome. The 2000 - the only year the bike came in yellow - is not only the coolest of all of them, but also the fastest.

00-01 had a catalytic converter introduced. The 98 & 99 did not have this, and the headers from the 98-99 will fit any bike up to 08, I believe. But the 2000 also had the electronic FI, so no need to adjust or choke it when cold starting.

When you go to purchase, make sure you ask for the owners manual, grab handles, seat cowl, tool kit including the spanner wrench. You can always put together your own tool set, but nice to have anyway - especially the spanner.

Don't be shy about asking seller to pull of the plastics so that you can see what lies beneath. Make sure there's no crimped radiator fins, hidden damage, etc. It takes 15 minutes tops to remove the fairings. If a seller isn't willing to commit that time, fuck them.

4. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't want to come off as nitpicky, but it is going to sound that way and I'm sorry Pliskin.

The 98-99 also has FI and that isn't a "choke". It's a fast idle arm. Choke means that the air mixture is being modified and that is not what the fast idle arm does. To the lay person, it means the same thing. I just wanted to clarify for the new guy just in case he has a low knowledge level.

You are right about the 2000 being the only year for the yellow VFR, but everyone knows red is the fastest. Sorry man, just stating facts! :biggrin-new:

He is right about the gear driven cams though. Awesome.

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    No need to apologize, MM. I am a lay person, and that's why I called it a choke! LOL. yes, you are correct.

6. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    A few other points of consideration;

Gen 5's (98-01) are lighter than Gen 6's (02-09) by about 40 lbs, depending on who's specs you go by.

Gen 6's have an ABS option. Which adds ABS, a remote pre-load adjuster for the rear suspension & a few more pounds. Easiest way to spot an ABS model is by the gold brake calipers.

Gen 6's use Honda's VTEC valve operating system. Below a certain RPM the engine is operating on 2 valves per cylinder. Then switches over to 4 valve operation at higher RPM's. On 02-05 the magic happens around 6800 RPM's. There were some complaints about VTEC transition being abrupt on earlier models. So on 06 and later models VTEC operation takes place at 6400 RPMs.

Gen 6's have notoriously bad fueling at low RPM's. In stop n go traffic expect surging and poor throttle response. Correctible with a Power Commander.

If you go for a Gen 6 the factory hard bags are incredibly useful.

Gen 6's also have avery tall 6th gear. Pretty much useless at anything other than highway speeds.

Pliskin & Marriedman are both wrong! We all know red, white & blue is the fastest. ;)

7. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Hmmm...that's my old bike!...FYI, they gave me $4500 trade-in on it when I bought my 2014. It's technically not an aftermarket seat, just custom foam and cover. It has Heli-bars, FMF Apex exhaust, Custom blue gauges, G2 throttle tube, PAIR and flapper mods, BMC air filter. Amsoil & HiFlo filter every 4k miles.

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You are all smok'n dope! Nothing delivers more might than the sight of white.

Welcome to the site Hogue5150. Let us know what you do. If it really is Dave's bike, I am sure he might give you some insight on the bike if you were to send him a PM.

9. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Gee, if only advice like this could be found in one spot.......

10. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I wanted a 5th Gen, but ended up with a 6th Gen, which I modded the hell out of. Beats me!

11. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I know you made a post about this elsewhere, but IMO, part of the fun on a forum is the daily interaction and making it a little more personal with potential new members.

12. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    I can see your point.

I'll just bookmark threads like this and maybe post them another time.

13. Jota_SV

Jota_SV New Member

United Kingdom
    In the UK there was a recall on the oil cooler lines that could corrode badly. Apparently my gen 6 had this replaced before I took ownership.