What will Honda do with the 1200cc V-four from the VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jayzonk, Sep 5, 2018.

1. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Anyone have any thoughts on what Honda is going to do with the 1200cc engine now that the VFR1200F is toast. I checked the UK site and it's no longer offered there, so I suspect that it's not offered anywhere anymore. It doesn't look like the Crosstourer is offered anywhere either, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any suspicions as to whether or not they will use that engine elsewhere. I'm not sure what it costs to develop a new engine like that, but I suspect it's in the millions, and I do not see the need to throw it away.
    I'm also wondering if its displacement can be modified as well, to suit other bikes.

J

2. 4corsa

4corsa New Member

United States
    The 1200 V4 is perfect for 2-up touring, so hopefully they will develop another good touring model. The 800 V4 is perfect for 1-up sport touring I'm happy to say
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    It looks like it has too much sport bike lean to me, but each to their own!

4. HotPursuit

HotPursuit New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd like to see the return of the Magna.... Maybe Honda could put on proper brakes and a gas tank that could make touring possible this time around.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lint likes this.
  5. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Given the massive number of engines Honda has ditched after very short production runs, I doubt we'll ever see it again, it never sold well and the new Kawasaki H2 SE has changed the game totally

Lint likes this.
  6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I know what I would like them to do with the motors. Displacement down to 1000cc's, hotter cams, higher compression and 190hp in a super bike frame!

4corsa likes this.
  7. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    The Kawasaki H2 SE could be just the ticket to put these hyper-fast sports cars and sedans back in their place. LOL!

Honda's main problem in the last 5-8 years: Their engines are tuned mildly. People don't buy high performance bikes because they're mild. This is pervasive across the board for Honda, from their CBR300 to the CBR1000's. They beautifully refined but they need to give them a bit of an edge. Or make the whole bike lighter!

Kawasaki has been hitting the mark lately. Maybe they learned that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely? For example, Kawasaki just released their Z900 line of bikes. 948 cc....115 rwhp in a 465 lbs. package. Honda you listening? Another example: Kawasaki Ninja 400. 47 rwhp in a 360 lbs. bike. Honda's CBR500 can't even keep up! C'mon Honda! Give us a reason to buy more of your bikes!

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Bean counters are in control. Soichiro Honda is probably rolling over in his grave. Lots of little bikes sold all over the world are making them money. HRC.............. You should see what some of the guys are doing to try and get the CBR SP2's up to competitive speed. Especially here in the US. So hard and complicated even when working directly with HRC. Ten Kate and Woolrich racing are much much more help than Honda.

Lint likes this.
  9. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    they sell it to Ariel for the ace and i think i saw something else that uses the vfr1200 so they still make it