What's some good roads?

Discussion in 'USA - South' started by GreyVF750F, Jul 20, 2008.

1. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I'm planning a little scooter ride in the next few weeks or so. I've heard and read a lot about the Tail of the Dragon. So I'm going to head in that general direction and run it. I'm going to start my back road ride by taking Rt23 out of Columbus,Oh and in to WV. Most likely follow it thru Virginia and Tenn. Hit the Dragon n to s then loop around to northern Georgia to the Chattahoochee nat forest area. Seeing I don't have a job right now I'll be tenting it as much as I can. So camping info is a big help or older CLEAN cheap motels,cabins kind of 50's style. Can any of you help out with other roads along that basic route which are good riding? I like all types, twisties, scenic, fast, slow what ever. TIA

george

2. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, pretty much anything in that part of the TN / NC area is good. I love the Cherohala Skyway personally. Not nearly as intense as the Dragon but the scenery is fantastic. At the Tennessee end of the Cherohala Skyway, in Tellico Plains, TN, there are a couple of motorcycle campground / lodges. I stayed at the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort last year and it is really nice. Not fancy nice, but comfy and clean nice. A single occupancy cabin is $40 a night. Camping is $12 a night. There are a few photos of the place right at the top of This Page on my web site. Also lots of photos from the BRP and a few from the Cherohala.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    WV rt16 is very good, runs north/south - Really WV is a great rider playground.

MD

4. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    another good camp site is iron horse,and you will love the dragon 318 curves in 11 miles cant wait till next year going to say a week

5. 1987interceptor

1987interceptor New Member

The Dragon

I live a few miles from the Dragon. Best to ride it during a weekday. Weekend are pretty busy and you really have to worry bout other riders going high in curves and entering your line of fire. It is a great road but you really have to worry bout the other guy and the leaf peepers. They also have the Lake drained up there to fix Chilhowee dam so you got alot of locals up to see that.
    I don't know where you are coming from but if you go to Maryville, TN. to 321 towards Townsend then right onto the Foothills Parkway,(also a great rd.) there is a park run camground on top of Foothills that is just a few miles from the Dragon. It is called Look Rock. It is the only road off of the parkway. If you stay on Foothills it will dead in at 129 take a left and Dragon starts just a little ways up the rd. Also do some research on the Cherahola Skyway.

6. bluespecv03

bluespecv03 New Member

Definetly do the Dragon, Cheroahola Skyway. I love that area! Im due for a visit soon...