What's the cover underneath headlight for?...5th Gen

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by JACBR1KRR, Jan 19, 2021.

1. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    20210119_105624.jpg 20210119_105648.jpg Anyone know what is the purpose for this cover under the headlight for Why did Honda put it there? Was there an intended purpose for it? A factory accesory?

Anyone else use this area for any other purpose...

Every time i see it. I just keep wondering what is it for. It just seems odd. I mean if there was no intended purpose, opening wouldn't be there.

dhinson66 likes this.
  2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    From my Canadian manual.... I gather certain markets, likely Europe, have a Position Light. Mine doesn't, but my other Honda does Headlight Maintenance Cover.JPG .

3. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    Huh, Very interesting

Thank you for that. I opened the cover but no harness there.

Very cool. I would like to see this light setup on a 5th Gen VFR. To see what it looks like. And exactly what its purpose is. " Position Light Bulb" .

Thank you, Do you have pictures of the light setup in your other Honda. What does it do exactly?

Any one else have a picture of this setup in 5th Gen? Or anyone else find any other use for this area.

4. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Position light or side light in UK

Attached Files:

5. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    If you look at a Honda ST1300 say, there is a bulb in the upper headlight on each side, it's a rather dim 194 in a rubber socket that slides into the hole and since it's rubber, it stays there. Stock bulb was clear, not very visible, likely meant to be seen from the side. I wanted mine visible so changed them to amber.
    Looks like the VFR has the rubber socket idea and put it forward and center so it can be seen from either side...... do you need it, no. If you do put one in, get a superbright LED and make it worthwhile, but be aware LED's can't take the heat if you keep the halogen headlights.

6. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    This is interesting, I've been thinking about adding a green led someware on the front. I'll have to see if the U.S. version has the spot for a bulb.

7. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    For access to the parking light bulb, I changed mine to a very bright led, I used to have a drift camera mounted there and despite it only being a cover it never moved, I figured in an emergency very heaving braking situation if the forks dived that low they'd push the camera up through the cover if you follow me.
    I mount the camera to a suction mount on the tank now sometimes, great footage but it shows the speed too:Scared:

Riding a 2000 likes this.