What's with the VTEC?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by prasadee, Jan 11, 2006.

1. prasadee

prasadee New Member

Hi All,
    I found this forum while searching for info on the 02 VFR. I am looking forward to having a good time on this forum. I just won a Ebay bid for a 2002 Honda VFR. I am picking it up this weekend. I own a Honda CBR F2, and I picked the VFR as an upgrade. I checked out the VFR at the Long Beach Motorcycle show, and I loved it.

However, I read some reviews about the 02 VFR like this one below. http://motorcyclistonline.com/features/2002interceptor/

The reviewers have been very critical about the VTEC engine, does it really explode at 7K rpm? I read a comment that makes me beleive, it almost throws you off the bike when all the valves are opened at 7K rpm. They also say the VTEC does not give any extra gas mileage compared to the older model. Do you guys see this on your bikes?

Comments appreciated. It will definitely help me decide about this deal.
    -Prasadee

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

The VTEC is not that bad it's a bit awkward in some cornering situations but it won't throw you off the bike when it kicks in not even close doesn't even raise the front end. Just not linear like the other VFRs. I prefer 98-01, but VTEC models are nice ride well. Coming from F2 the bike will feel heavier, a little faster and more comfortable. All in all a more refined ride.

3. prasadee

prasadee New Member

Thanks for your comment. I will take a short test ride before I call it a deal. I have a friend who has a decade old VFR, he hates the linked brakes on the newer models. If the bike stops quicker than the other bikes, I should be happy right?
    -Prasadee

4. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

The linked brakes are fine. At first it's a little weird but the bike stays controlled during a panic stop better. It's just like the vtec you'll get use to it. All in all the VFR is a fine motorcycle.

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    VTEC and Linked brakes

The main thing or annoyance with the VTEC is if you are in a corner at roughly 6500 RPM and roll on to accelerate. The is about a 7 ft-lb boost when the VTEC switched on at 7000. The boost upsets your balance somewhat and you need to readjust your line accelerating out of the corner. Somewhat of a nusance - but I supose you can learn to live with it. Linked brake are about the same deal. A little weird. The main annoyance for me with them when trying to use a rear only situation and you get front fork compression. It messes with my head. Right now I own a 5th generation and I redid the brakes to be separate. Probably if I owned a 6th, I would leave it alone because the bike is more touring bias, the 5th is more sport.

6. prasadee

prasadee New Member

I am not sure what the reviewers at Motorcyclist are talking about. I picked up my bike today. It runs great. I got used to the bike in the first half hour. I rode it from LA to San Diego, it runs so well..... the VFR literally glides. It is so much better than my CBR F2. Boy, I am glad I bought this one.

I paid $5900 for a 02VFR with 5200 miles on it. The bike is in great condition and runs perfect. I am looking forward for many many happy miles on it, and great experiences to share on this message board.

regards,
    -Prasadee

7. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Congratulations Prasadee! Sounds like you got a great deal with only 5,200 miles on it. One thing that's great about VFRs is their longevity. Yours is barely even broken in!

You have GOT to post pictures of it in the gallery, we'll be waiting!

Michael
    http://vfrworld.com

8. prasadee

prasadee New Member

Thanks Michael.

I just posted the pics I took just after I got my baby home. I will try to post some better pics after I take it out to nicer places.

Yeah, the bike has very few miles. The previous owner said he has never used it. I am the third owner, the second owner just bought it and let it sit. He did not even know the tire pressure needed for the bike. When I checked it was 28 in the front and 32 in the rear, and he said that is fine. The registration has expired as well. I need to take care of that before I start using it.

-Prasadee

9. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    When I checked it was 28 in the front and 32 in the rear.

<snip>

The book says 36psi front and 42 in the Rear, I run my tyres at those and have no problems...

As for VTec Transition, it gets smoother with the Miles and I never found a problem wet or dry with it...When the mood takes it even adds to the fun, its like the bike yells, " Hay Ho, Lets Go " .

I have a low mileage Gen 5 now after laying down my previous Gen 6 on a Oil spill, the Gen 6 Origami handles sharper, brakes better and engine spins out smoother in the higher Rev's then the Gen 5 Klingon...

Sometimes I even miss the somewhat addictive Vtec transition but I also enjoy the Gear driven sound around town on the Gen 5...Swings and roundabouts....