Wheel and fork conversion - donor Kawa. ZX9R

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Rune, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Rune

Rune New Member

Norway
    My bike is a vfr750f from 86. I have bought a Kawasaki zx9r ninja, year 1995, to use as donor bike. Im planning to use fork, rims and brakes...

Does someone have experience with this kind of swap? Advice? Let me know if you need more info/measures...

Steering stem diameter (bearing area) upper/lower 35mm, total length 255mm
    Front shock leg lengt (top to center of axle): 780mm
    Front rim: 17x3,5
    Rear rim: 17x5.5
    Rear wheel axle: dia. 25mm

kawa1.jpg kawa2.jpg kawa3.jpg
    Br
    Rune

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    :welcome:

Raeva mi verker !!! :grumpy:

3. Hondaman57

Hondaman57 New Member

Thailand
    Map
    Maybe some of this can be done, but personally I would not do it. The thing is that for example the front shocks of your Honda are designed to fit that bike, using parts from Kawasaki will change the driving characteristics. I would also warn against using any brake parts that are not original or at least similar to original ones. Brakes are important on a bike and you have to be able to trust your brakes. Not to mention that if you are in an accident and it is discovered that your bike is made up of various parts from other bikes you may be in deep trouble. Sorry to sound so negative but this is my opinion, good luck.

4. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

Should go over just fine as long as donor rear wheel isn't too wide. Most likely, you'll need to have the Honda steering stem pressed into the Kawi lower triple and modify the steering stops. The front should be a piece of cake from there. The rear is where you'll need to do your homework on spacer size and modifying the brake arm to accommodate a wider wheel and tire. Post up some pics of your progress if you can.

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Gen 2 forks are very long by comparison to late model inverted forks, overall height of the front end is a major concern when all is set and done. I have done this many times and fork length is the primary problem. Just my two pennies.

6. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

At 780mm, I think those forks should work out. People have swapped the '94 GSX-R 1100 front ends with success and they measure 780mm from top to bottom.

7. Rune

Rune New Member

Norway
    Thanks for responds! I will start with the front, steering stem, triple and so on... If you have ideas or kind of "technical " images of special parts made, please post.

8. JasonWW

JasonWW New Member

United States
    Map
    I would ignore the naysayers. My front end swap was the best mod ever.

Some notes though. Since the donor bike had a steeper rake to the forks you can expect a little more trail over the stock Honda front end. (Typical with swaps from newer sportbikes) This adds high speed stability, but might be a bit less "flickable". The fact that the newer forks are shorter means the front of the bike will be a bit lower. When you change the bikes angle (lowering the front) you increase the rake and reduce the trail which brings you back closer to stock. My bike feels super stable on the freeway and I sometimes ride with only my throttle hand. I never did that with the stock front end as it always felt a little squirrely. Plus I can still flick my bike easily through cones, etc...

The new front brake calipers might need a different size master cylinder diameter, but I'd wait and see on that one.

Have you made sure your rear rim will fit the swingarm? I chose a 17x5.5 - ZZR1200 rear rim and it's not an easy fit. :)

9. JasonWW

JasonWW New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh yes, on the front end swap I used the unique kawa stem and just lengthened it on the bottom to fit the taller neck on the Honda frame. I found an upper bearing that fit, but not a lower one. I had a steel sleeve made that was pressed onto the stem them the bearing was pressed over it. My machinist did as real good job on that.

Here is my thread with more details.
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthre...nd-Swap-For-VFR700-Need-Some-Input?highlight=