Wheelies

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by striven82, May 21, 2008.

1. striven82

striven82 New Member

Map
    Hey folks, thanks for the advice on my previous topic.
    I think I read somewhere that you should not pull wheelies on a VFR. Is this true? If so, why? I have been good and kept both wheels on the ground since I bought the bike about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. CrazyViffer

CrazyViffer New Member

Striven82 - If it is bad for the VFR I'm killing my bike! I keep it on one wheel as much as possible:) I have put 8K miles on my bike, easily over a hundred miles worth of wheelies in there. I have had no problems what so ever. I changed gearing just to ride easier wheelies. Wheelies are hard on any bike. Keeping it in a 12 o'clock position will drain oil from certain parts of your engine. Also if you are uncontrolled with bringing the front wheel back down you are really going to kill your front forks. Not to mention wheelies are hard on tires. Yes they aren't good for your bike, but damn are they fun!

3. Taz

Taz New Member

Wheelies :unsure: ah, me never, he he he he :wink:

One thing about wheelies though on any bike is 1) you could crash & 2) that will be costly to you, & no doubt your bike. 3) it is very common to blow the fork seals:mad:, & even the best pro wheelie & stunters blow the seals a lot.

Don't do them around people or property that can be hurt or damaged in case if, or when you crash.

Remember that wheelies are cool, but society is alway's looking for a excuse to bag on riders, so what you do can effect all of us especially if your a squid about it.

Be safe & courtious out there !

:vtr2:

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

You know, between this post & the photo in your avatar, I'd say it's safe to say you are the board's "Bad Example".

Have a nice day.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

5. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Hey what about me? I got this reputation below in my vfrworld control panel:

[​IMG]

:lol:

6. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Well, I guess you are just an all around bad apple. You are fined 5 laps around the bar.

I may not have agreed or disagreed with what you typed in that thread, but it is a free country so post what you want.

KC-10 FE out...

7. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm screwed too based on the Avatar rule...damn hooligans.

8. striven82

striven82 New Member

Map
    I already have a leaky right side fork seal. I wonder if the O.D.B I bought the bike from lied when he said he wasn't pulling wheelies.

9. jkimbro

jkimbro New Member

Map
    [sarcasm] A 5th gen with a 45 tooth rear sprocket won't seem to pull up the front wheel. Weird??! [/sarcasm]

10. CrazyViffer

CrazyViffer New Member

KC-10FE - Based on my picture!?......ha ha I was doing about thirty when my girl friend decided to take a pic while they PASSED me! Damn Hooligans having skill to do things on a bike I Can't. Honestly I ride (most) my wheelies on back woods straights, away from almost all traffic. What i do to my self i am fine with, but I am smart enough to know not to put others lives in danger. KC-10FE you judge and yet know nothing about me. Based on your picture and quote "I Freaking Rule" you would be the pompous, self indulged jet pilot of the board. See, I would never tell you that b/c I don't know, but i have a better idea now:) It can't be seen, but I actually have a half sleeve tattoo and buzz my head so that probably would make me a skin head hooligan...ha ha. All in fun..different strokes for different folks. Ride wheelies if you want, but be safe.

11. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

aight lets all get along. Fact is some peeps like wheelies, some like responsibility, some like something in between.

KC-10 is known for sugarcoating his opinion, you can never get a straight answer out of that guy you know? :rolleyes: But I'll be damned if he isn't a sharp guy and a wealth of experience.

Lets each do what we want. Me, I like to shake my booty --> :bootyshake2: there it is. right there.

12. XRayHound

XRayHound New Member

If you want to ride straight lines on two wheels as slow as possible, go buy a Harley. I'll stick to sportbikes.

13. striven82

striven82 New Member

Map
    Ok, this thread really got out of hand. I'm not here to talk about bike "ethics", that's for another thread. I appreciate all of the info / advice provided. This is my first "sport-bike" so I am pretty new to the whole realm. My background is: CB350 - VS1400 Intruder - DRZ400S - VFR800FI.

I haven't really tried very hard, but I haven't been able to pull a power wheelie yet.
    My space is a very large empty parking lot, so I'm not putting anyone in harms way...except myself. Are there any special "tricks" with a VFR?

Thanks again yall!

14. striven82

striven82 New Member

Map
    I just read that thread about the definition of a squid. That's good stuff! I don't think I qualify as a squid. I've been riding bikes for a long time, and I wear the gear. I also rarely do anything that my wife would describe as "stupid". I'm not sure whom I am addressing with this post. Ramble, ramble...

15. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

If you wanna power wheelie, just rev up in first to like 6.7 or 7K RPM going like 15 mph, then let off the throttle sharply then snap it back on, with the vtec already engaged and the low speed, the bike will pick up the front end for a little while which is kind of fun. Otherwise you have to clutch it up and that is harder. Be safe and stick to empty lots to practice. Good Luck!

16. CrazyViffer

CrazyViffer New Member

Striven82 - If you really want to talk to some one on how they ride "vfr" wheelies in a step by step matter, I will def help you. I'm new to the site but have my experience. I got my first dirt bike at 11 and have been riding wheelies since. I'm 23 now, so there's a lot of wheelies in there. Honestly though go to youtube.com they have how-to guides on riding wheelies. Some filmed by your local squid and others by professional racers. Watch a hand full of them, b/c anybody can put what they want on youtube, you'll know the difference. It really comes down to skill, comfort and confidence which all can only be gained from practice.

P.S. - The other post was in fun. I have read a lot of these forums, and KC-10FE does know his sh*!. The old saying goes "birds of a feather flock together". I know how i look. I consider myself half squid...ha ha

Ride Safe, but have fun its a Viffer!

17. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Any idiot that doesn't wear a helmet has zero right to speak about anything to do with motorcycle safety or instruction, period, end of story. I don't care if you were going 3mph or 300mph. Then, you took a picture & show it to the world as if to say, "Look at how cool I am". Real cool.

Now, you want to give a new rider step by step over the phone instructions on pulling wheelies?

Now, after all this, I'm the idiot & don't know sh$t?

KC-10 FE out...

18. CrazyViffer

CrazyViffer New Member

KC10-FE - I am trying to be polite, but you make it difficult. Once again you come at me calling me names. If you had read the post "carefully" you will find that there is NO "don't" in that sentence anywhere. I was trying to give you a compliment because I am aware that you know a lot about these bikes. I'm not trying to be a safety instructor, he asked how to do wheelies. Last time I checked wheelies weren't taught at the Motorcycle Safety Course. I have lots of experience at them and am simply trying to help the guy out with his question. Also Had you read my post you would have read that my girl took the picture on a whim, I thought it was a neat picture. By no means am I trying to tell the WORLD! (site only has 8591 members) "Hey Im cool don't were a helmet!" Some states require one some don't. I leave it to the riders choice. You made an assumption about me from one picture on an internet forum, My example of you being a .....pilot, was simply to show you that assumptions make stereotypes which tends to be an issue in our society. I also said "I know how I look..." so I'm aware of the stereo type. I never called you an idiot. My post was seriously all in fun. It takes a lot more than some guy, who i have no idea is or what he does, to get me going. I'm sorry i ruffled your feathers, Please grow up;) I'm done with this post. I'm here to talk bikes.

19. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I'm not a pilot & never claimed to be. I am a Flight Engineer. Does this make me any better than anyone else? Not at all.

It does prove you have no reading comprehension skills.

I don't care if you think I am the anti-christ, as long as you ride without a helmet, you shouldn't be telling anyone anything about bikes except which insurance gives the lowest deductables for personal injury.

KC-10 FE out...

20. yoda6669

yoda6669 New Member

Map
    Hey bro don't pay much attention to what KC10-FE post. He like calling people names. I you want to pop whellies and stuff, It's ur choice not his. Every brain is a world!:focus: