When did it grab you?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by cheyanne9, Sep 11, 2009.

1. cheyanne9

cheyanne9 New Member

The summer of 1975 (14 yrs old) I was tired of riding my friends’ dirt bike and wanted my own. My employment options were limited at that age, but I wanted my own bike. What could I do? I daresent ask for a motorcycle. My folks could barely keep our 1962 MERCURY COMET (4 DOOR) with 3 in the tree operating.

Exploring all local opportunities, I struck gold…a building contractor was constructing a home about 10 minutes away (by foot, if you if you knew the yards you could cut through, it was a dog thing) and I asked if they needed help, any help, anything I could do to help? Peering over his mirrored Foster/Grants stained by the rolling smoke from his Camel cigarette his gravelly voice boomed – Kid, do you how to use a wheel barrow? Well sporting a well toned physique of 110 pounds with a good tan from tubing on the creek mowing grass and stacking hay I answered yes. We have one at home and the boys use it for lawn clippings, coal ashes, firewood and taking the garbage out.

That generated a smirk and he pointed to a sizable stone pile and said can you put that stone in the basement kid. That’s it, I thought? He told me what he would pay me and I was ready. I wanted that bike....

After the first week, my cutoffs needed a belt, I was wearing a headband out of necessity, and started eating like a horse (still trying to stop) and had been introduced to things I hadn’t ever thought of. Like one of the framers was dropped off early one day by his girlfriend and they decided to , well, I must have gotten there shortly after they did and the top soil pile had a bit of a depression in it by the time she left. I understood the concept as a kid, but a construction site....

After two months of wheeling stone, carrying lumber, fetching whatever the framing crew needed, stacking cement blocks, wheeling concrete and carrying shingles up a wooden ladder I was able to get my first bike. A 1972 Yamaha 175 enduro for $300 from the older kid down the lane.

It was sweet; that golden color fuel tank, with only one small dent. I rode that two stroke proudly for three years then handed it down. It also had some kind of limiter where it would cut out at 66 or 68 mph; I just could not understand why anyone would want to limit such a powerhouse of a bike, my bike.

But that proved beneficial in the long run, I bent the forks, sheared off the right side signals and mirror, bent the front rim and then learned how to install a tire with a tube and a variety of other repairs. Riding through the woods was turning into an expensive hobby for my 175.

What a great bike to get started on as a youth. From that 175 enduro through a plethora of motorcycles to the Rolls Royce of sport tours a 2006 VFR.

Attached Files:

2. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Great story. Well written. I'll have to think about putting something together. Thanks.

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    The year was 1983 and I was 10 years old. My brothers and I were always content with the used go-cart that dad had bought us several years earlier but it eventually died and we were looking for a fun new way to terrorize the neighborhood. My mom used to take us to a local bookstore that was located in the same shopping center as "Kawasaki City South" It was here that I first saw the Kawasaki KDX80. The minute I saw that bike I fell in love with it and decided that I had to own "The Green Monster." We begged and begged to our parents but they would not give in because they felt that motorcycles were too dangerous (apparently more dangerous than two kids riding on a go-cart designed to carry 1 person.) Lucky for us my dad had a friend who was looking to get rid of an old dirt bike for real cheap and he said it would be a perfect starter bike for us. My dad informed us of the good news and we went crazy and danced around in joy. We waited patiently for Charles to bring us our new bike and after a week had passed the day arrived. We knew nothing about the bike that would soon be ours and we hoped and prayed it would be the bike of our dreams, the KDX80. When Charles finally arrived with the bike we realized it was not the "Mean Green Kawasaki KDX" of our dreams but a yellow and white 1975 Yamaha TY80 complete with metal tank and dual rear shocks. We were a little dissapointed with what we got but our frowns soon turned to smiles as we each took turns tearing through our backyard on our new bike. That bike took alot of abuse from us over the next couple of years but it sure was fun. I still get a big smile on my face thinking back to all the great memories we had on that bike. I'll never forget the things like getting pulled over by the police for riding on the side of the road to the convenience store or wrecking while riding two up in the mud on a single seat bike....Good Times!!!! I did eventually get a KX80 years later but my fondest memories on a bike will always be with my first Yamaha!!!

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Rollin

4. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    1980 rode a friend yz80..my dad got it from him showed me how to ride he also rode street gpz 2 stroke 350.. the rest is history i will always have a bike if i can help it and if i can't ride it i look at it and clean it...

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd say somewhere around 1975 to 1979. Was riding a 2 speed mini bike. Even though I ran into a hornets nest, still loved it from the first time.

Haven't had many bikes throughout my years. From the minibike, I moved over to some Kawasaki. No idea on the year or model, but I remember that green gas tank. It looked kind of similar to that posted above by Randy, so maybe the same general year.

After that, it was dirtbikes for some time (Mid 1980's until early 90's). YZ125, CR250. Eventually got away from them, and first street bike was a Shadow 750. That was a short term, as a roommate ran it into the back of a truck. Roomate good, bike not so.

Picked up a Kawasaki GPz750. Rode that for 5 years or so, then took about a 5 year hiatus until I purchased my current Y2K Viffer.

Ahh, some fond memories.

(Was I supposed to include the years I was riding a moped? Its was suh-weet! A Tomas, I believe. I pulled the baffles on it too for an addition 1/10th HP).

6. cheyanne9

cheyanne9 New Member

Your a big man for admitting the moped part of your life, here, I still struggle with that myself:redface:

Sorry to hear about your 750.

7. cheyanne9

cheyanne9 New Member

What a great story! - a 10 year old on a trials bike, unleashed on the public. :thumbsup:

8. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    1987, my father bought a house out on Long Island and we left the city. My father was out and about on a VFR700 that replaced his Cagiva Allazurra 650 that was "killing" him (I ended up riding this bike for 1 season). My brother and I shared a 50cc dirtbike my father found somewhere. Next, my older bro got for us a Kawi 125. In 1994 at age 17, I bought an 89 GSXR750 that a neighbor had sitting in his garage after a minor crash, paid $800 earned as a deck-engine utility aboard my uncle's ship that summer. The plastics were held together with duct tape and painted in BBQ black, the exhaust pipe had a hole in it and sounded rawkus. Carbruetors always 'iced' up on me. Wrecked the bike later on. Raced an RS125...then off to school.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    The month was August. The year 2006. My age 51. And I was still a motorized two wheel virgin. But not anymore. My Pearl white has been ridden harder than my first wife from her boyfriends

10. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    I was six years old and when my Mom wasn't paying attention I watched Mad Max on HBO. I fell in love with the Goose's and the gang's Kawasaki's. I wanted a bike bad.

In high school a guy named Scott Lisk had a 1986 RWB VFR for sale. I loved that bike. My Mom said "NO!" (Looking back, I thank God my Mom said that LOL).

Flash forward to 1998. I had moved to Maryland and still wanted a bike. Was blessed with the great find of a 1980 Kawasaki 440 LTD for 500.00 bucks. Had that bike for 2.5 years. Had some of the best adventures ever on that bike. Was one of the major things God kept in my life when I went through a divorce. Riding kept my mind off so much shit.

June 2000, a Pearl White 1993VFR pulled up to the Sherwin-Williams store I was managing. Never saw one and by this time I wanted to 'move up' to a sport bike. Owner said it may be for sale in a few months. August 2000, she was mine:biggrin: Blessed again!

Learned even more, specifically what 'countersteering' was, almost killed myself one day becasue I didn't know how to turn a bike:eek:

I rode the 93, met my now wife, she loved that bike. She rode on the back 'all the time' LOL!. I'd disappear for hours on the backroads of Maryland by myself just exploring.

Late 2003 moved to Delaware and bought a house in 2004. The 93 was tired. The engine was fine but the forks, brake, rotors, chain and sprocket were all worn out. About 1000.00 bucks to get it all done. Was working on the house we bought big time. Had NO time to ride. Against my wife's wishes I sold it. Three months later I was whining like a little girl, the wife was tired of me whining like a little girl. Asked me how much I had? Three grand I said. She said buy a bike so you'll shut up:ninja:!

I had been eyeing 4th gens. Picked up the 97 off ebay from a real squid in New Jersey. He had abused the 97. So I had a little work to do. I became an MSF Coach during this time. Became good friends with fellow MSF Coach Jeff. Joined VFRWorld:thumbsup: One day I looked at Jeff and asked: Do you want to learn more? He wondered what I had in mind. I said: "Trackday". The smile he gave was larger than life. We did our first track day in October 2005. We were hooked...bad. Now the real learning had begun.

I say all of the above because for me it's been a series of moments. Not just one singular moment. The learning never ends on a motorcycle if you don't want it to! That first time you feel free on a bike, the first time countersteering makes sence, the first time your knee touches down on the deck at the track, that first time you make the nice clean pass on another rider, that first time...(fill in the blank).

God willing, I'm moving more and more to the track than the street.

To be continued...

BZ

11. cheyanne9

cheyanne9 New Member

Oh yea Brother! Great story!

Mad Max (mad Mel) what a great movie! Thanks for mentioning that, I have that on VHS, and Its still raining here, I am watching that tonight!

It sounds like you have found a "keeper" there with your wife, good for you!
    It’s great when your wife enjoys motorcycles. Mine, not so much.
    She witnessed to much chaos during my motocross days, I was never that good.
    Track days sound very informative; I’ve never been able to do something like that. Sounds like you have learned much from additional riding classes.

Bikes do bring many oppturnities. Good point.

Where do you attend "track days?"

MSF - Motorcycle Safety Freelancer?
    MSF - Mostly Safety Freewheeling?
    MSF – Monster Shifting Force?
    MSF – Major Safety Firefighter?
    MSF – Master Safety Foundation?
    MSF - I give up

12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks cheyanne9:

The wife actually isn't into motorcycles. The 93 was a comfortable ride so she rode with me alot. Corbin seats are a riders best friend.

Me and some other VFRW members ride with the North East Sportbike Association (NESBA) NESBA : Northeast Sports Bike Association. I see you live in PA, were abouts? The primary track(s) we sign up for are at New Jersey Motorsports Park. There are two tracks at that location that are very fun.

You are right, I've begun to learn much from riding on the track, but I still suck LOL!

MSF=Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

If you would like to come out to the track and see what its all about, don't hesitate to let me know.

Peace,

BZ