Where do I anchor this bike for transport

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Timgco, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Timgco

Timgco New Member

Map
    I have a 1200 mile cross-country trip coming up and want to put the bike in the back of my truck. I have used a Canyon strap that goes over the hand grips for the front, but only on past bikes. In fitting them today, they will not work. The ratchet straps will not clear the plastics. ..not even close. It seems these handlebars are tucked back and inward compared to my past bikes.

The rear of the bike I had planned to use the rear passenger brackets with two straps and one through the back wheel pulling to the back of the truck's tiedown points.

I'm not sure if I can grab the forks somehow below the triple clamp? I would almost have to pull straight down to clear the plastics this way and don;t think it would offer enough lateral support.
    I don;t want it on stands or center stand. I also don't want to bolt a wheel chock to the bed of the truck.

Has anyone transported their '14 on a trailer or in the back of their truck? Any pics on how to anchor it down?

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I would keep it OFF the center stad too. I transported mine a short 1 hour highway distance on the center stand and it dented the floor of the bakc of my truck. Also, if you strap it tight against the bulkhead of the truck's box, you will bend that too. Those wierd channels and moulded thingies onthe inside of your box are made to slip planks donw inside to protect the bulk head from this.

AS far as strapping it, I would as you sayuse the passenger foot pegs. That is a fairly strong and secure part. Then the upper portion of your front forks. That too is build strong. Four sinch type tie downs should suffice. SIt on the bike and place all you weight on the bike to compress the shocks by the amount of your body weight, then sinch the straps to tight from there. You don't want that puppy bouncing all over the back of the truck. BTW, after sinching down the straps, tie the loose ends around the tight strap as much as you can. That will stop it from loosening, and also stop the loose strap from flapping around causeing cosmetic damage. You can even duck tape the end of the strap to prevent it from flying around.

I have transported mine this way a few times. Once was a 800 mile round trip with a ride and crash in between. The crash was not me.

3. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I use Cycle Cynch when I have to haul most of my bikes. I have a Pit bull restraint system for my track bike that uses the axle to their mount system that allows the suspension to not be compressed. Rock solid and fast. But for your truck you should be able to use the Cycle Cynch or the new Canyon Dancer 2 with the cups that do not bind your grips. You should be able to just have the front wheel against the bed and the straps hooked to the corners of the bed. I use soft ties on rear sets connected to quick release straps that also pull it forward and keep the rear from hopping around.

4. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

Map
    I just put my 6th gen on the trailer for about a 6 hour pull on the trailer plus the ride back home. I used the regular Canyon Dancer on the bars and straps on the rear passenger pegs. Also tied the tires down too.

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Canyon Dancer

6. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Someone should design a rack that ties down to the bed of a truck that the bike can lock into. Maybe that has been done already.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Aboot four sheets of 3/8" plywood cut to fit a pickup bed would be a start point for bike transport.

8. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I know there's a pic at Reggies where you helped load my bike. $50 at Harbor Freight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
  10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I just put my 6th gen on the trailer for about a 6 hour pull on the trailer plus the ride back home. I used the regular Canyon Dancer on the bars and straps on the rear passenger pegs. Also tied the tires down too.<br/>

Thats the ticket right there...they are worth every cent

11. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Hope to do that ride again some day!

Like BB said, I've seen folks mount it to plywood to save from more intrusive or difficult mounting techniques.

Personally, I can't see why a guy would bother owning a truck if it didn't have a gooseneck hitch in it. :shrug:

12. Timgco

Timgco New Member

Map
    Thanks for the replies!!! I just went through that thread too. That looks like it was a great trip!