Where does the Speed come from ?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Scorpio65, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Scorpio65

Scorpio65 New Member

Map
    I've been out riding with a local group a few times, and find my self playing catch up with them !! I am somewhat new to the twistys but dam!, these guys are fast. :eek: They all keep telling me to NOT try to stay up with them, that the speed will come in time. It seems i'm having the hardest time getting this thing to drop and stick in the corners. I'm replacing the stock tires this Saturday, i'm sure this will help some. But what else can/should I be working on ?
    I don't care to lead the pack, but i would like to be able to keep up with them some, you know, to not lose sight of them would be nice !
    Thanks for any help or tips you can give ...

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    It's true, the more you ride them the faster thru them you will go, eventually. Good tires are also key as it helps build confidence if you know your tires are gonna stick. Also having your suspension set up right is another key. My advice is to ride your own pace. Eventually you will be able to keep up with them. When I first started, I was the same wayu, playing catch-up. My problem is that, like many people, I try tokeep up with the faster guys. This can help to some extent, at least in-so-far as it motivates you to increase your skill. You will get faster. I did until almost a week and a half ago when I went off road and then down. A friend and I were riding at what was a comfortable pace for me, until I screwed up my entrance and gear selection into the turn. Now I find I have to build my confidence up once more. Some roads I am ok on, others I am not. And if the wind is kickin my ass, I am slowing down. Always ride your own pace. Riding over your head can backfire on you just as quick as anything else.

3. oss

oss New Member

It's like vman said your own pace will get you there. While you get more comfertable with your bike, and your skills develop riding at your own pace will actually help. After a while you'l find that your doing what you need to without even thinking. Like when you first started riding(a bicycle, bike, or driving a car) it all comes together, usually without you knowing it.Not to sound like a parent or anything, but it'll come to you.

4. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Never never never ride over your head! So now that this is established, take a track school to learn more about the science of riding fast. Then don't apply this to the road as it will kill you! It will seriously increase your margin of safety however.

I'm not really fast and I'm no slow poke either but there have been many times when I have waived goodbye and let the crazies take unnecessary risks while I smelled the roses. There was another time where I have led a bunch through a set of twisties, slowed after when I hit the straights, only to watch them scream past and collide in front of me:frown: . There was plenty of damage but the riders walked away and all I could think was that I shouldn't have pushed them so hard.

This is why the Tail of the Dragon has no hold on me. It looks like a death trap from where I'm sitting.

Be courteous, ride safe, have fun and if you want to race, hit the track!:biggrin:

5. scott63

scott63 New Member

6. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Like Jethro911 said some track time will really let you explore both the bikes and your own limits. There are also a number of good books out there on everything from basic handling to how to become a club racer. I take one element at a time and work on it. For example if I'm heading out to have some fun on the corners I'll really try to concentrate on body position that day or something like line entry. The bad part for me is like Vman, I had an accident and low sided the bike. It’s not like starting over but it definitely sets you back. Oh yeah, don't forget to have fun.

Action

7. green1

green1 New Member

The safest thing to remember is if you have to cross the centre line to make a corner your in over your head and slow down,know where the groop is going and if their your friends they'll wait for you.

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    it come from the rhythm in my opinion. you find your own rhythm and when you are in synch, you'll know. yours may not be the same, but when you hit it, you'll know. it's a dance that you feel resonating through you and your bike. when you are there, it won't matter where they are, they become irrelevant.

9. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    What everyone has said and here is my two cents!

First, Fast riders are SMOOTH riders. Watching someone move quickly looks effortless and calculated. Focus on being SMOOTH first, the the speed comes!

In addition, I really recommend reading the following book and maybe buy the video!

Twist of the Wrist II
    by Keith Code

When people have commented on how well I have went through a corner. I credit Mr. Code's book and video. Although some of the book deals with the track and not the street, the principles are the same. Take what he says then practice it in a parking lot, then slowly apply to the street. I can't tell you how much it has helped me become better at cornering.

I am NOT an expert at cornering, I just love it though! It's why bikes fascinate me so much. I still make mistakes, but I try and study what I did incorrectly (i.e. too much brake before turn?, could have choose a better line?
    etc.) I recommend taking the MSF ERC class. There is one exercise that is awesome in helping learn to corner. You ride a "kidney bean" pattern and it really helps bring out what you are NOT doing correctly.

I noticed that I have been cornering less efficiently in left handed turns? Seemed to come out of nowhere? Couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing wrong. It didn't amount to much, but I would drift off my line a few inches it seemed and that could be disasterous. So a very good friend of mine and I went to the DMV when no one was around and set up the kidney bean. Jeff followed me around it watching...when we stopped after going around 25 times both to the left and right. Jeff did not notice any mistakes. He said I looked how I normally do...smooth. But I caught what I was doing. When cornering to the left, I was not fully using my right knee to grip into my tank. Thus, my arms were a little stiff on the handlebars, which stiff arms on the handlebars is a hugh NO NO! It was subtle, but subtle things can add up quick and cost a rider alot!

Good Tires and proper suspention set help, but without the proper techniques they are worthless. In addition tire technology has gotten so good they help mask bad cornering habits.

Sport Riding Techniques
    By Nick Ianetsch Is a good book too, I think I spelled his name wrong.

Anyway, read and practice, practice, practice. It will come with time.

BZ

10. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Oh ya, I almost forgot.

No matter how good you may get at cornering. There will always be somebody better at it. So focus on your own skill level. Not everyone else's!

BZ

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ All very good advise, well done guys. couldn't have said it better. Good thing we are not all living in the same neck of the woods huh?

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I'm with Bubba - get Keith Codes books and video, buy Nick Ianetch's Sport Riding techniques. Also a good book is Reg Pridmores - Smooth Riding.

Read, practice, read, practice, preferably solo or with a trusted buddy to hang back behind you while you lead and no peer pressure.

Also a recommended first track school is the "CLASS School" by the Pridgemore group. It's been a number of years but that day I did that one really opened my eyes. Also, It was very humbling to be lapped by the guy riding what? A VFR800, two up. He is amazing.

On the smooth point, my riding buddies have been saying I get faster every year, and I never look like I'm working and smooth,smooth.

Ride well,
    MD

13. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    My advice is DON"T GET SUCKED IN! On our group shop rides, someone crashed almost every outing from trying to keep up with more experienced riders who were'nt even trying that hard. It got to the point that we'd interview folks and make rules. No passing the lead rider, No passing in turns, no wheelies with your buddies around, no BS.

Every rider in any group is at a different skill level AND risk tolerance level.. This last fact is one reason it is SO MUCH MORE DANGEROUS TO RIDE IN A GROUP!!
    Leave your ego at home. None of your friends will feel the pain of a crash or financial burden either. The first rule of a good ride is to come home alive and unhurt.

Last bit of advice: get everything done early. Your downshifting, your braking to make the line, moving in the saddle if you do so(I don't much). The point being if you slow down enough the worst that will happen is a bad drive coming out of the turn. That can be practiced, and pace can be stepped up gradually.

Reg is right...you will get your own rhythm that feels right, and at that point that is YOUR pace. Ride your own ride and never feel like you have anything to prove. It's not who gets there first that wins but who enjoyed the ride the most:yo:

14. ChrisPaegelow

ChrisPaegelow New Member

That was pretty deep there, Confuscious71

:smile:

15. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    VRO makes a good point - dont get sucked in by fixating, watching the fast guys. Suddenly you can find yourself over your head and buy it. I have been on one too many rides where the rookie rider eats it because of focusing on the guys ahead. Look down the road, not the guy in front.

MD

16. Timbercat

Timbercat New Member

Bah, yer all wrong. Speed comes from a dealer.(amphetamine or methamphetamine) and is a stimulant drug producing alertness, confidence. Speed can create a powerful craving for more speed.
    Ride at your own pace and live longer!

17. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    oh, yeah. I misunderstood the question... And from what I understand now, it comes in kid friendly flavors!

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    ahh yes... when you can take the pebble from my hand...

19. mickeymike

mickeymike New Member

While this may seem obvious; countersteering is the key: PUSH on the right bar and turn right. A lot of riders never get it right. You would not believe the number of people I talk to who don't even know what I'm talking about!!

20. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    You can countersteer or lean it or weight pegs. I guess if your leaning you are partially countersteering. There no right or wrong way, what to use when depends on your situation.

I mostly countersteer when I need to make a quick transition from leaning one direction and get to leaning to setup for the other direction.

+1 again on Nick Ienatsch's book - Sport Riding techniques.

MD