Where to get rear left blinker

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by YellowScorpion, Jan 2, 2022.

1. YellowScorpion

YellowScorpion New Member

United States
    Hello,
    Just today picked up a 1998 VFR800 with some small parts that are damaged. The rear left side (shifter side) blinker is missing its orange covering so im guessing its been damaged in some way that would just warrant a replacement and im wondering where i can find this part? I also need the shifter side lower cowling/Ferring.
    other than this the bike seems complete!

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and Welcome to the Madhouse:Welcome:

If you have just snagged a 5th Gen in decent condition it sounds like you are already having a very happy New Year :bruce2:.

When you get time please visit the "introductions" part of the forum and tell us a bit about your 5th Gen and your riding history. Don't forget to add a photo as the folks on here really like photos - it is easy click the "upload a file" link and follow the prompts to select and upload an image from your computer. You may want to update your forum profile to include an approximate location - city/state is ample so that it appears automatically with your posts and if you need help with a problem you may find someone nearby is willing to offer help or advice and maybe even pick up a wrench especially if you have a well stocked beer fridge :drink:.

As for parts - many service parts are still available through Honda dealerships in Europe although I guess the States may be set up differently, and if you are lucky some dealerships may still have some 5th Gen parts hidden in the parts Department storage even if by now they are meant to have cleared them out.

For less frequently required 5th Gen parts like fairing components -try CMSNL and David Silver Spares who ship world wide.

If they do not have what you need then you may get lucky with TheBay, Craigslist, alibaba - just beware there are a lot of poor quality reproduction/pattern parts on those sites, which rarely use OEM quality materials and finish, so finding a colour matching fairing panel may be quite a challenge and many have ended up just buying or repairing any genuine OEM panel and then get it repainted to match the paint scheme of their VFR.

Decals (Honda stickers etc) are available from several aftermarket firms thanks to modern scanning technology, so they can be a cheap way to cover over minor scrapes.

Take care - ATGATT

SkiMad

3. 50th VFR

50th VFR New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Probably the reason it is missing is that the rear light assembly is sold as a one piece item.

33710-MBG-003

Item is still available but price new is eye watering.

Best best is a breakers or an auction site.

Lower cowls come painted from Honda so you need to find colour code which should be on label under seat.

Some colours still available from Mr H but again eye watering expensive.

Enjoy a great bike.

4. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
  5. 50th VFR

50th VFR New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    The reason that they still have stock is probably that fitting them will make bike illegal in UK as it will be shining red and not white light on registration plate.

6. Cherryriver

Cherryriver New Member

United States
    While the red on the plate would be a problem, you might be able to improvise a bit with an aftermarket plate light and taping or somehow covering the red glare. I recall having to do something like that on a GSX-R project that had been bodged up.

7. YellowScorpion

United States
    I will admit that now looking at my title the bike is actually a 1996 not a 1998 lol. Got it just to get back onto 2 wheels and now see i didnt look too deep into the bike itself besides its cosmetics haha

8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I got a Euro taillight for my 95 that has clear lens in that area instead of the solid block off plate for the US models. Fucking USDOT, thanks for the extra, huge, ugly license light mounted to the fender.

I've also drilled some holes below each bulb with a hole saw, slightly smaller than the width of that solid plate, then covered the whole area in 3M clear protector to keep shit out. I've also cut out the area between the holes to create a pill-shaped slot. Worked great.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  10. YellowScorpion

United States
    I Appreciate this! I actually found a left and right pair that are red which i bought in hopes of modernizing the rear end. Im really starting to like this bike!

11. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Cool. They are great bikes, enjoy.

12. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Since they will be red now, you can source some 3-wire sockets for dual filament bulbs (like the front signals) and legally run them as additional rear running lights. Just use the license plate light power plug (brown wire).