Where to ride in Michigan - starting in Windsor or Port Hope

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by jayzonk, Mar 20, 2010.

1. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hi,
    I'm looking forward to FINALLY getting out on a three day trip on the VIFFER this spring. I live in London, Ontario and want to head to Michigan. Does anyone know a nice area to see, with low traffic? Which roads would suit what I am looking for?

2. sparky750

sparky750 New Member

michigan rides

hello. i recommend the west coast of michigan. if you can make it over to manistee, m-22 north is a fairly curvy road, particularly when you get to the sleeping bear dunes area and up towards northport. many good places to visit and eat (unllike the thumb area) the west side is much more scenic. i would recommend visiting the sleeping bear dunes area and eating in glen arbor (art's). their are other good eateries in leland, northport, suttons bay and traverse city.
    unfortunately their just aren't that many good roads to ride in michigan (especially the thumb area). good luck and have fun!:cool:

3. Slothrop

Slothrop New Member

The best riding in the lower peninsula is in the northwest part, around Sleeping Bear Dunes, Torch Lake, M-119. Getting here from the southeast will not be as wonderful. US-23 along the northeast coast is pretty, though.

4. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, I could go through the Sleeping Bear Dunes area and then head east or south. Where is the best place to head for a good scenic ride?

5. sparky750

sparky750 New Member

i'm assuming you'll ride diagonally across michigan on 115 thru cadillac all the way to m22 in frankfort. from here take 22 north until you pass empire. take 109 toward glen haven and be sure to ride thru the pierce stocking drive. it costs a few bucks but hey, michigan needs all the money it can get. ride to glen haven and then back onto m22 into glen arbor. have a bite to eat at art's tavern, coffee at leelanau roasting and maybe drop a few bucks at cherry republic. glen arbor is a fun little town. stay on 22 north all the way to northport then down to traverse city and get on 31. lots of great places to eat and shop (if that's your thing) in tc. be sure to take the ride out to the tip of the old mission pennisula (37 i think). depending on how much more time you have, you can take 31 north toward charlevoix and up thru petoskey. try to get on 119 into cross village and check out the legs inn. from cross village, there is a road that goes across the state to cheboygan. you can take the east coast back down to your starting point. michigan really does have some beautiful sites. i do still miss michigan but not the shitty weather and beat up roads (don't worry, 22 and 31 are in good shape). enjoy! :biggrin1:

6. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I agree with all of what sparky said, however, even though M119 is probably the best road in the Northern Lower, this early in the season it is usually loaded with debris (dirt, sand, heck even still snow and ice because much of the road is covered by a veggie tunnel of trees and the sun cannot get to the road very easily). If you hit it, be very cautious. Levering road is the eastbound cut across to Cheboygan that Sparky is talking about. You can actually take a few different routes to Mackinaw City instead if you choose. I used to go straight north of Cross Village and take Lake Shore Drive thru wilderness park (some guy used to keep real wolves up there) and cut across thru the town of bliss(C81), or you can just take levering rd east to Pleasantview rd, then go north. Then I just would jump Wilderness Park Road to Mackinaw. Stop into the Dixie Saloon for some decent grub (corner of huron and central), then take US 23 thru Cheboygan and east and hit Butler rd south (turns into North Black river road) and take it until it deadends in Tower, MI and then turn left (east) and then right and take M 33 south for a change of scenery. You can actually take M33 all the way south to 75 if you so choose (ends just south of west branch). Once summer hits, I strongly suggest hitting the UP, and the Pictured Rocks over thru Marquette to the Porkies. Lots of beautiful scenery around there. Just let it be known, if you get there in the early spring and summer, the black files might be around in full force. I have a full writeup on places to ride in MI from a year or two ago....just have to find out where.

Keep the rubba side down....

7. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks!! Plating her up this week, and heading out to MI the week after....

8. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    What about the east coast of the lake? Looks like it's about 80 miles closer for us.

9. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 New Member

There isn't much on the east side of the state except assholes in SUVs and straight flat roads.

10. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yikes! That's not very promising! I guess we'll head across the peninsula.

11. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

I go up the east side to the Thumb alot , straight , flat, boring! The thumb is all farmland, go west young man! And honk when you go through Windsor, I ride with Octane SBR, check us out on Facebook, we have some guys from London in our Chatham chapter too.

12. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    I will! Keep me posted if you decide to go for a weekend ride to Michigan, as I may be able to join you.
    Your bikes look great in the photos. Makes me wonder why I went for the 1200!