While I'm replacing the fairing...

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by realbtl, Jul 20, 2012.

1. realbtl

realbtl New Member

is there anything else that would be worthwhile doing while everything is apart? I took off the left lower during today's afternoon thunderstorm for an oil and filter change and it was such a PITA that I think I'll just slowly keep taking things apart for the new fairing due Monday.

I was thinking about throwing in new headlight bulbs, maybe blinkers too while I'm in there. I know there is no guarantee that they won't blow in 100 miles, just playing the odds. Coolant level right between the marks.

Anything else you would do/replace in this situation? Thanks.

2. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    depending on your working budget:

-Replace all those little dash lights.
    -take apart, clean, dielectric grease all those connectors
    -put new filter element in the carb diaphram breather hose/filter (not sure of the real name, but the little black box that bolts to the lower right back corner of the air box)
    -check air filter
    -replace radiator cap
    -replace anything rubber. Tends to get involved and expensive here since I usually do all the cooling hoses and fuel/vacuum lines. this of course leads to... why not just clean the carbs while I'm replacing the hose. Well as long as that's off, let me try to get at those plugs. hell, can't ride the bike so might as well replace the brake and clutch lines with steel braided and bleed them. Dang, I think I should probably just rebuild the calipers too. Is that fork seal leaking?

Of course, I have issues. Definitely those first 5 things though.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Put her back together and ride the piss out of her...........................:hss:

4. realbtl

realbtl New Member

I will probably do just that. Did the oil/filter this AM and as I was doing it I was thinking "Hmm, July 21st. 1 week of July, 4 each of Aug and Sept and if I'm lucky 4 weeks of Oct before it gets too cold/icy to ride. Maybe the fairing replacement would make a good project for Dec or Jan".

Bike is certainly rideable with just the small ear broken off. I think we have a plan. Riding is much more enjoyable than wrenching for me.

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Now you talking :) Save all the work for winter projects

6. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    Or you could do the whole ride it during good weather thing. I guess I should seek professional help.