who has done a f2 front end replacement??

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by cbx1260cc, Feb 6, 2019.

1. cbx1260cc

cbx1260cc New Member

United States
    Map
    I know several members have done an F2 complete front end replacement ( on a 1986 VFR750F) so asking for advice / input as am in the process.

OEM Front end removed and F2 lined up.

Question?

How did you mount the fuses / fuse cover on the F2 top triple clamps?

Advice please. Never saw this mentioned in any of the articles I read on the switch.

Looking for suggestions / solutions. Thank you

Ricardo

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Probably not really that helpful, but I mounted mine on the left right behind the relays off of the upper cowl stay. But, I also incorporated custom switches and installed a hidden ignition switch so I was able to get all the wires to the short leads off of the fuse box. With stock fairings it would still clear the inner covers. I did not modify the original main wire harness at all.
    [​IMG]

You could get a couple bosses welded to the F2 clamp and drill and tap to replicate the stock location perhaps. Maybe even drill and tap the f2 clamp somewhere from the bottom to use some brackets to replicate the original boss locations.

I have also read about using a fuse box off of the 88/89 VFR750F. It has longer leads that accommodates mounting in a remote location, but is still plug and play.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Diving Pete likes this.
  3. cbx1260cc

cbx1260cc New Member

United States
    Map
    Captain 80's,
    Thank you for the courtesy of your time and the reply.
    As USUAL Very Valuable information..
    Much appreciated.
    Regards
    Ricardo

4. cbx1260cc

cbx1260cc New Member

United States
    Map
    Captain 80's was Very Helpful with showing a relocate option. Anyone on board have a set up they would be kind enough to share pictures of that the fuse box was kept in the standard location and what was used to accomplish the task? Would like to consider Several Options before making a final decision.
    Thank you

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I thought of another option that I might use myself. 1984 VF1000F top triple clamp.
    [​IMG]

It has the correct dimensions. Then use the fuse holder from the 1985 VF700F.
    [​IMG]
    Screws right into place. Now the trick is the VFR fuse box is also the plug-in location for the ignition switch. The fuse holders are removable from the plastic box. It may be possible to transfer the wire loom for the VFR fuse box into the VF700F fuse holder. At the very least you could certainly solder (or high quality butt connectors, or male/female OEM style connectors) the VF holder and leads to the VFR loom and connectors.

The fuse cover can be trimmed back into something a little smaller and cleaner looking. Here's my VF1000F cockpit with 1994 VFR handle bars.
    [​IMG]

sixdog likes this.
  6. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Captain, so those VFR bars on your F put you a bit lower than stock, correct? Also a bit forward?

Also, what weight fork oil are you running on the F?

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Yes, lower. And then because they are lower you are a bit more forward. I think they are perfect on this bike. And they don't hit the fairings or the tank. I trimmed the fuse cover back for looks and to give the hoses and cables that are now a little more crowded some room. There is also a USB power outlet mounted on the back of the ignition. You can see next to the fuse cover mounting screws where I angled the handlebar castings to get the bars where I wanted them. I run bar end mirrors.

[​IMG]

Gold valves in the forks and I think I made a 12.5 weight (the fork oil regulates your rebound damping with GVs). Damper rod forks I usually run between 8 - 10 wt. And I eliminated the crossover tube so I could raise the forks in the clamps a bit.
    https://vfrworld.com/threads/removing-front-suspension-air-crossover-tube.55115/#post-582852

8. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Killer!!! I love the look of the F... had mine since 84! Thank You for the info and the bike looks great!