Who listens to music when they ride??

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by derstuka, Dec 13, 2007.

1. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Hey all, what is your opinion on listening to music while you ride? I mean, do you feel it impairs your ability by drowning out critical ambient noises.....car tires screeching, cars honking, loud engine revving (as in a car racing) someone/pedestrian yelling, engine maladies, etc, etc...?

I understand that not using hearing protection can contribute to hearing loss over time while riding, and that wind noise does drown out some ambient noises in itself, however, I am speaking more along the line of do you listen to music while you ride, and do you consider it safe to do so? If so, are you speaking more of lonely open roads, or the congested car honking, road raging city?? Will you only try and listen at a certain volume so that you can still hear some ambient noise?

Kinda of like a catch-22....you are screwed if you don't use hearing protection (hearing loss), and you might be screwed if you do (not hearing a car honking, or some danger).

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I don't. I'll wear ear plugs for long trips down the interstate to aid in the hum drum wind noise.
    Have wondered just how much hassle it's worth to install ear phones then make sure they stay put while putting on your helmet? things like that even my ears plugs if they are not in right it drive me crazy. Still Hmm then theres the wind noise in the back ground and the not pay attention syndrome. I know a couple guys up here that use em to help pass the time, it's just that thats why I don't feel I need music, as the bikes sound and whats going on around me is my music. If I wanted to listen to music I'll turn on the stereo at home, funny now that I think about it, I don't really listen to music in the car either.

3. junktionfet

junktionfet New Member

I too wear ear plugs when I know I'm going to be exceeding 50mph or so for extended periods. My helmet seals up pretty well, but the wind noise is still enough to damage your hearing over time. With music, I'd be worried that I'd have to turn it up too much, thus again putting my hearing at risk.

4. bear

bear New Member

Map
    I listen all the time. No need to have it loud, sort of like when you are at home alone, you have the radio on, but it is background sounds. Does not distrct anymore than the radio in car distracts, also does not drown out any other noises.

5. derstuka

Map
    Anybody try those form fitted ear plugs? I saw them selling them at the bike show in Long Beach. They actually form a mold inside of your ear to make it a perfect custom fit for your ears.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  6. Ghost 1

Ghost 1 New Member

Map
    I gota hear my bike. I don't wear ear plugs. I figure after 21 years of riding, and 27 roadside bombs that I've lost all that I'm going to.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I am about 50-50. If I'm not listening to music I like to at least have earplugs. Oh, and I can still hear my bike with music turned up not to mention feel it.

8. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

I usually ride with earplugs, especially over long distances (the wind buffeting actually starts to hurt my ears without them). I have tried using little ear-bud form fitted earphones in the helmet, it is tough to keep them in place putting on the helmet, but if you pull it off, it is nice to hear the music, and if you arent making yourself deaf with it, you can still hear lots from the road and bike.

I dig it cause I like riding to music, same reason I listen to music in one ear while snowboarding. It doesn't distract me too much, but just be careful what you listen to, you may be just cruising along one minute and then your favorite heavy metal angry at the world song comes on and all of a sudden you are doing 165 on one wheel on the sidewalk with 7 LEO's in pursuit and news chopper 5 lighting the way!!!

9. k9style00

k9style00 New Member

Map
    I wear my ear plugs every day, whether it's a shorter trip or longer trip. Don't get me wrong, if I ride the 1 block to the local grocery store, I don't. But I do ride my bike daily to work through relatively heavy traffic for a 12 mile one way trip. The plugs definately cut down on the high pitch wind noise but still allow enough sound for local traffic. As far as listening to music, I've considered it. But seems that no matter what I try to tell myself, I know they'll be distracting and will interfere with hearing traffic. It might not hide all traffic noises, but the constant change in pitch and tone in music will give you a random effect. I'd rather wear plugs and have a constant effect to drown out the high pitch stuff. You're ears will accomodate to hear the other stuff over a short period of time because your ear drums will adapt. They can't do that if the sound constantly changes as with music.

10. Rat

Rat New Member

I have never listened to music while riding and never will.
    Nor do I understand anyone that does.
    I believe it's one of the most dangerous things one could do.

Why intentionally deprive yourself of a sense that could save your life?

In my honest opinion, I've always considered those that listen to music (headphones) while riding to not be serious riders.
    To me it's very much along the lines of riding in shorts and flip-flops.

Make no mistake, I ride hard and go fast, but I approach it in a "professional" manner.
    I will push the envelope of my and my bike's abilities, but I will do everything I can to minimize unnecessary risk.
    Listening to music is a distraction in any circumstance; I need to be "in the moment" when riding.

For many years I refused to use ear plugs, but have now lost a significant amount of hearing in my right ear (the 'exhaust' side...).
    Now I use ear plugs for longer rides at higher speeds, but that typically means out and away from inner city traffic and minimal threats.
    Around town and commuting I do not use ear plugs - I want maximum awareness.

11. SCraig

SCraig New Member

I listen to music frequently if I'm on a relatively long ride. On the interstate, city to city, I like having music. Around town, short hops, I don't fool with it.

I use ear plugs with some of the gel thingys from an old Jabra cell phone headset. Works pretty well once I get my helmet on over them (which can be a nuisance some times).

12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Tried listening to music once 6 years ago and hated it!!!
    I felt it took away form the whole ride. Besides, I can sing Born to be Wild in my helmet!

Have not tried music since then. Only listen to music in the cage.

BZ

13. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I do sometimes. Just depends on the mood. When the riding gets intense, or the boneheads are out in force, the music seems to fade out as I tune into the surroundings. My eyes get hyper scanning sometimes. As far as hearing protection...my pipe is stock Cali-quiet. I hear the cam whine more than the pipe. So the wind is the only factor, and my music cancels a bit of that.

14. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

No music for myself, I see it as a safety issue. Long freeway rides I'll use ear plugs.

15. derstuka

Map
    This is what is always on my mind as I consider listening to some tunes. On longer rides I wear ear plugs, but on the short ride to work (10 miles) I don't. Only takes 15 mins to get there and I am too lazy after putting on everything else to get ready.

16. Scorpio65

Scorpio65 New Member

Map
    I always have my music playing and I hear everything that goes on around me. For me its no worse then having your radio on while your driving. As for my ear buds staying in place, I use a JVC brand that has a foam end on it just like norman ear plugs. I found them @ Walmart for $20.00 work great so far.

17. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm with Rat and Kevin.

No music. Period.

You need all of your senses to ride a motorcycle. On the freeway is one thing, where you're covering 100's of miles at a clip, but in city traffic is a little much.

Riding a bike takes all of your concentration. If you were fiddling with your iPod or trying to adjust your volume, you could miss something that you would have otherwise noticed (like that car merging into your lane where you are...)

18. bear

bear New Member

Map
    Why would you be adjusting the volume or fiddling with your iPod while moving? How about a little common sense. Once this stuff is adjusted, it doe not require any further adjustment. I think you will find that those that are dead set against it, have never tried it, and those that have tried it, have some common sense.
    Wait till you find out my cell phone connects through the same bluetooth connection.... and I can chew gum and walk at the same time as well.

19. Rat

Rat New Member

No, you don't.

Same as in a car.

In a car you have:
    1) the advantage of being better "seen" by other motorists.
    2) a steel safety cage all around.
    3) seatbelts.
    4) airbags (in most cases).
    5) anti-lock brakes (in most cases - very few motorcycles have ABS).
    6) a vehicle that won't fall over and slide into/under another vehicle (possibly moving) or other hard object should you lose control.

On a motorcycle you give up those advantages/protections.

Music is still a distraction while driving, and equally likely to drown out a possible danger, but your safety is inherently much greater so the consequences are dramatically lessened.

A relevant story:

Many years ago I was stopped at a light on my FJ1200; bike in gear, clutch pulled in.
    (I know some of the long-timers already know where this is going...)
    Traffic crossing in both directions in front of me.
    I heard screeching behind me and instinctively checked my six (mirrors).
    I'll never forget this part - I saw a brown 1990ish Toyota Camry sliding towards me maybe 30 yards back, skewed slightly sideways with tire smoke pouring out the wheel-wells.
    In an instant I looked forward and saw a miraculous gap created by a very aware lady driving a full size white Ford Bronco, who had apparently seen the impending catastrophic collision and slammed on her brakes.
    In my peripheral vision I saw no traffic from the left.
    Although the Bronco was still moving and coming to a halt, I reflexively dropped the clutch and snapped the throttle.
    I crossed the intersection with the front wheel about a foot off the pavement, somehow managing a perfect "Drag" start.

All of this took just milliseconds, and occurred about 15 years ago, but I can still see the pictures vividly in my mind with incredible detail.
    Her skidmarks stopped about 10 feet past the FAR side of the intersection...
    She had to have been going at least 50mph (Speed Limit on that road was 45mph; the intersection was just over a small rise).

I wish I could've thanked the Bronco driver for helping save my life.

No, no music or ear plugs for me in town; I value my life.

More recently (last summer) I managed to side-step an incoming squidly missile sliding out of control at me while stopped at a light.
    I heard the squeal of his locked-up tires also...
    I cringed as he decked it and slid out into the intersection but stopped before getting creamed.
    I refused to help him pick up his bike or the pieces - I didn't want to be associated with him in the public's eyes.

20. Rat

Rat New Member

*Admin - Please change bear's screen-name to the more appropriate moniker "Pending Statistic".

I think you will find that those that are dead set against are more likely older, more experienced and wiser.

There ain't much I haven't tried on a motorcycle...
    It's because of my "common sense" that I am still around to advise on such matters.

Do you also ride in shorts and flip-flops while on the phone?