who makes a good rain gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by JERMS-VFR, May 18, 2003.

1. JERMS-VFR

JERMS-VFR Guest

need to know who makes the best rain gear?

2. Ciro

Ciro New Member

My guess the brand is not the most important thing.

I have a Dainese (Italian) jacket with a goretex "membran". Untill now it kept me dry!

If you stick to a "membram" like goretex, you can't go wrong!

I have Sidi Vertebra's (Boots) with Goretex (I think) also. They look very cool and kept my feet dry so far!

3. PaulAmico

PaulAmico New Member

I was looking at getting new leathers once and the woman helping me tried to steer me toward Rukka gear. Made in Finland, the stuff looks bombproof and has A LOT of nice features. Like a removable Gore-Tex liner and lots of good crash protection. Check it out, they're online but if I recall the website is a litte confusing.

I had an Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit for awhile. Pretty nice, but heavy and a bit hot. I switched over to leathers because I never ended up riding in the rain unless I was caught out in it.

4. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

I have an actual rain suit, not just a riding suit that also happens to work in the rain. It was a whopping $75 Tourmaster suit and it works very well. I alway sget wet though because I wait too long to finally stop and put it on hehe. However, it really does work very well. I have ridden in Gulf coast frog drowners and stayed perfectly dry. It also makes an excellent outer garment for really cold weather as it stops pretty much all of the wind from getting into the suit.

I looked at the Rukka sight and their stuff looks awesome. But it also looks very expensive, moreso than the Aerostich! Yikes!

Adios,

5. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Check the IBMWR website; those BMW guys are hardcore rain riders. Had one of those ironbutt types admiring my Joe Rocket stuff, when he asked what I used for raingear I told him "A Jeep Cherokee".

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Any thoughts on how to keep your hands dry?

Also, I've got the same Tourmaster rainsuit Tourmeister mentioned ... I got to test it in a BIG way a couple of days ago ... it held up fine until it was raining buckets (so hard I had to pull over) ... it leaked a bit around the crotch ... that could probably be overcome by making sure the folds of fabric are turned down when you're on the bike.

7. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

This is interesting. My pants have no crotch seam. They are pull overs that have suspenders built into them. The jacket is a 3/4 length with a pull string to cinch it tight around the bottom of your butt across the thighs. Once secured, there is no way for rain to reach your crotch unless it runs down from the neck. So far, the neck is the ONLY place I have ever had rain get in. If I had a better helmet, this would not be an issue hehe.

8. jcm

jcm New Member

I am in the Northeast so if I tour I'm likely to spend some time in some serious rain. I just came back from 4 days (2 wet ones) in Eastern Canada and Northern Maine. I ride in a Belstaff Trekker jacket and Gericke Ecco pants. After a couple hours of heavy rain the jacket seems to be leaking in the stomach area through the zipper even though it has a velcroed cover over it. But I take most of the rain down my kneck even though I use a polypro neck gaiter. Any suggestions to make a comfortable seal between jacket and neck so the helmet runoff doesn't head down my back? I've though about cutting the neck portion out of a neoprene dive hood I have. Also looking for waterproof gloves that have a tight enough cuff to fit inside the sleeve of the trekker. I've found my gauntlet type gloves let rain run down my arm, past the gaunlet and into my gloves.