Why did the VFR800 stop selling?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by CharlesW, May 20, 2011.

1. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

Since the VFR has such a following, I can't help but wonder what happened to kill the sales to the point where Honda discontinued it.
    1. Too expensive?
    2. Perceived to be expensive to maintain?
    (The valve adjustment/check cost is often mentioned by competitive dealers)
    3. Too quirky?
    (Lots of mods are to correct issues with the stock bike)
    4. Not enough "Planned Obsolescence"?
    (No reason for an owner to trade for basically the same performance and appearance)
    5. Sport Tourers in general are no longer a hot item?
    6. Honda just decided they needed a change?
    (It had been in production since 1983)

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I am going to run with oot of touch with the consumer. Given the offerings of the last couple of years (DN-01.....WTF???) that is what I think.

3. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

it got turned into a crossrunner, same bike different body work

4. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    well chuck.... yes

5. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

well first it is cheaper to build inline 4's so came the CBR.
    the inlines phased out the V-4's.
    the VFR 1200 came out therefore the VFR 800 got a new make over and became the cross runner, it just has diff body work,ECU and bars ( so most parts will still be available )

with the V-4's in moto gp and WSBK I think you will see another version of the VFR in the near future ( RVF )

6. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

Until now, I had never even looked at the DN-01. (Probably won't look again) :smile:
    In checking the specifications, it sure doesn't look like a variant of the VFR.
    680cc V-Twin that appears to be the same engine as the NT700.
    Shaft Drive.
    Very different seating position and handlebar configuration.
    Almost 100 pounds heavier.
    The NT700 is no rocket with that engine and the DN-01 is not likely to be, either.
    Big price.

Totally different motorcycle isn't it?

7. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I think, in my own personal opinion, that Honda has thrown its hat into every bike ring that it can, making good bikes but not really hammering down the lid to make a great bike... now yeah there are flops..(dn01, the nt700 isn't that bad) and there are a few others but cut back on the expansion and start using the engineers to build the current stable into greatness

8. woobie

woobie New Member

Map
    I thought, based on the very low mileage VFR's I saw when looking for one, that VFR's are an acquired taste.

9. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

the cross runner, link below

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2011-honda-crossrunner/

10. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

11. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I wonder if the 5.5 gallon tank would fit the new VFR1200?,,,,,

12. kbyte255

kbyte255 New Member

Too Expensive

Speaking for myself, I looked at VFRs many times over the years but always bought an in-line four.

Reason: Price, and adjustable suspension components.

Last year I ran across a decent '06 (used) and bought it. I love the bike but would never have paid what Honda was asking. I have completely redone the suspension but still wish it had a more adjustable fork.

13. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    It's a niche market. The VFR is not a sport bike and it is not a touring bike. It's kind of like a dual sport bike - which too is a niche market. Someone who buys it is looking for something in between where I think most buyers are either focused on sport or touring and want bikes built specifically for those purposes.

14. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    lol ...would the extra 20 miles of range *really* be worth the hassle? lol

15. MiddleTBabb

MiddleTBabb New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, please hear me out on my own personal nonsensical thoughts on the issue

After all, the VFR800 had been in production since the first of the 5th gens (circa...1998?)

So, with that in mind, here we are in 2011. That's a solid thirteen years of production for that engine (albeit with the addition of Vtech and new plastic)

That's a long time for a bike to run! It really is...

I guess my point is that the 800 VFR has been around for a while. Honda chose to keep the "VFR" in the 1200 cc bike, but get rid of the "Interceptor". Prolly for good reason. She's HUGE!

They are good bikes, and they are all over the place.:cool:

16. leftcoast

leftcoast New Member

United States
    somewhere near Seattle, but my heart is just north
    Map
    I recently read that Honda produced 11.4 MILLION bikes last year. They sold like 180-sum- thousand in the USA. They sold 9.4 MILLION in China. so...like ....if this was your business, where would your focus be? I mean - get serious here. if my numbers are right, we are chump change....barely. whine away with design shortfalls. please go the the back of that very long line over there........

17. Mahly

Mahly New Member

A few reasons:
    1) Performance. Yes, it's more of a sport touring bike, but you can't brag up all this wonderful wiz-bangetry, and still get smoked by your own 600. V-tec? really, you couldn't give it a bigger boost up top? What's the point of having a V-4 with gear driven cams or V-tec and fuel injection single sided swingarm etc etc. if good old V-twins (i.e. VTR, or worse TL1000S) have more low end, top end, and cost less?
    2) Complexity. I could do a complete valve adjustment on my older GSX-R1100 start to finish, in 1/2 an hour, and rejet the carbs in less time for a FRACTION of the cost of a power commander.
    3) Price. They need more reason for someone to spend more. Until things get really sporty, a Bandit 1200, ZRX-1200 etc do sport touring really well, have strong engines, and still cost less. My RF900 cost THOUSANDS less than a VFR800, and save for the slowest twistiest roads, the RF900 would walk away from my vfr800 everywhere. AND the RF was a good enough highway bike to ride from Sheboygan WI, to Little Rock Arkansas in a day.
    4) Linked brakes. judging by the amount of information on "de-linking" I suspect many other VFR800 owners held their noses (as I did) and just overlooked the linked brakes as one little con, in a sea of pros.
    5) Aftermarket. Sure, there are 1,000 exhaust slip-ons, and power commanders. But other than that (or some crazy supercharger) it's kinda hard to really hot-rod one of these things. How many have done a big-bore kit? Cam swap (I know they are out there, but you don't hear of it nearly as much on VFRs)? FULL Exhaust system? Again, I know a FEW exist....exceptions, not the rule. Without any super engine building knowledge, that plain RF900 became a fire breathing 165bhp monster, and it didn't cost much to get it there (or require a supercharger LOL!)

Now don't get me wrong, I think they (vfr800s) are GREAT bikes! AWESOME style, and a unique sound. Decent power and handling (eh, brakes) I'm glad i have one now...but I would NEVER have bought one new.

Maybe a VFR800RR With another 30bhp.........

18. Parker VFR

Parker VFR New Member

This is just my personal opinion. TOO EXPENSIVE.

Ok - having said that - I waited 2-3 years to buy a used 07 VFR with low miles that had everything I wanted on it. Hard bags, Heli Bars, ABS, Heated grips, Throttle Meister, and upgraded wind screen. I got what I wanted for less than half the original cost, but had to wait forever. I knew what I wanted, but dang, I could never find one that I could justify buying. I still paid more than what I had planned, but the almost perfect bike came along, so I stretched the ol' budget a little. Of course, I ahd to give up the Sargent seat and settle for the original seat to be able to afford the bike, but hey - I got almost what I wanted.

But - there are plenty of bikes out there that offer most of what the vfr offers and cost much less. You have to really want these bikes, and understand what they offer. I get compliments everywhere I go with this bike. That's not really why I bought it, but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that loves this bike.

These are quality bikes, and you must pay premium prices if you want a new one. I guess Honda recognizes that they can't sell the bikes, especially in a weakened economy, so they are adjusting to market demand. You gotta ask yourself - would you pay ~ $15,000 for a new one loaded like mine is? I cannot see myself ever doing that - but I absolutely love one with 6K miles at 40% of the original cost. Sweeeet. :biggrin:

19. Elkwood

Elkwood New Member

United States
    Map
    VFR sold pretty good till they went to the 6th gen version. Seems to me they added more of everything that no one wanted. Weight and complexity being at the top of the list.

In the end i guess Honda give us a answer to a question that no one asked

20. Parker VFR

Parker VFR New Member

Excellent point. I think the ONLY point I would possibly argue is that I bought a 2007 specifically due to the upgrades that I thought made it better for me. It IS heavier than I like, and probably too complex, but I think Honda adjusted the vtec such that it's not a abrupt when it kicks in. I have enough concerns hitting 7000rpm in curves with the 07, and would not want it to launch me more than it does when I'm not expecting it.

I think your post probably hit it on the head pretty well though. Makes sense.