Why I own a Honda...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by pap11y, May 17, 2012.

1. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    So today after maybe a 3-4 week break from riding I head out to the Viffer to head into work...

I walk to my beastie with a little apprehension as I know my duke would not even start after being left for that long..

I put in the key, press the start....

It fires first go... fuck yeah. I love this bike and honda f-king rule :)

2. Crescentius

Crescentius New Member

Map
    Fuel injection is a beautiful thing.

3. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Stone stock reliable. You can't beat them. That's why I'm a loyal customer. We currently own 9 Honda's and will probably be buying two more in the next couple of years.

4. pacemaker

pacemaker New Member

Map

I could leave my CBR F3 for that long or longer & she would still fire up & it was carbed. I would also but it down to the Yuasa battery, I got 8 years out of the original & only changed it when the reg went south.

5. Crescentius

Crescentius New Member

Map
    First thing I had to do on my '78 Suzuki was completely tear down and rebuild the carburetors. After personally experiencing the time and effort required to make carbs run TRULY efficiently and smoothly, I will never leave anything with a carburettor sit for more than a week with gas in it. Every microscopic bit of fuel varnish brings you one step closer to the next rebuild, and hurts your power, fuel mileage, and tune accuracy in the meantime. Modern carbs are even worse due to the precision jets they need to meet emissions standards.

You can do just about whatever the frack you want to fuel injectors and they just keep on ticking (especially fords, them suckers is LOUD:biggrin:).

6. singleaction

singleaction New Member

Map
    I have one better!

My VFR made my day today!

It's been sitting for 3 1/2 years in the storage shed with gas in it. I had no intention of letting it sit that long, but had a more important thing come up that I had no control over.

I had a major back problem(herniated discs) that left me with total loss/use of my left leg and foot!

The doctor said even with surgery, I only had a 50/50 chance of ever walking again. I thought I would be spending the rest of my life in a wheel chair.

I've come a long way after physical therapy and lots of pain.

So I went to Wally World, and bought a cheepo AGM battery for it, not ever expecting it to ever start again!

The only thing I did do in hindsight was run STA-BIL thru it before shuting down, thinking I wouldn't be using it for the winter months.

I charged the battery this morning, installed it, and after cranking it for about a min or 2, it started right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It runs after warming up, like I used it the day before!

The weather is not great today, but all I have to do is top off the tires, and get it inspected, and I'm good to go!

7. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    Glad to read that you are beating the Odds, happy riding & ride safe!

8. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Honda is THE best bike IMO, have had 5 in my lifetime. My daughter has a Yamaha TTR-110 dirt bike, fuel injection, electric start, 4 speed auto, it's been good to her as well.

9. Rubo

Rubo New Member

Not ruining the party but... Constant regulator failures? Cheap thinnest lowest grade wires from stator? C-mon after spending millions developing a bike but cheap out on wire? a critical wire?One wonders about Honda engineers...

I installed Yamaha R1 regulator and basically changed the cheap wiring.Yes Honda does a good job but so does Yamaha,BMW (100k+miles common )Suzuki which I had SV and beat the crap out of it and still started.Never failed on regulator....
    I know we have VFR's so we have biases but lets be honest they are certainly great bike makers out there as well.

10. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep them Asians got this bike thing down, pretty much.

11. michaels214

michaels214 New Member

Map
    Asians got a whole shitload of things down. Funny how I can type "shitload" and theres no red line under it lol

12. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Prison, huh?

13. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    Ouch!
    That would be a something came up that I had no control over, Not a more important thing come up!

14. singleaction

singleaction New Member

Map
    I'd gladly take prison over never walking again!!

15. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    To be honest, I am an EX-CON ( did 5 yrs.), & I can't say that!
    I knew someone that lost his left leg in Viet-Naim (SP?), & it didn't keep him off bikes, & there is always a trike!

16. pjvtec

pjvtec New Member

Map
    I agree that Honda makes the best. It's not only the product, but what comes with the product. Not only are they there for the customer, but they fully support the dealership. Plus, on the service end they give the techs a ton of info and training possibilities.

17. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I have been Honda brand loyal since I was 16 years old. I had an ATC200X that I bought brand new and 18 months later, out of warranty, it developed transmission problems. Apparently, a weld broke loose and took out 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears. Honda acknowledged it was a factory defect and fixed it free of charge.

The point is that it was out of warranty and they could have said tough. The dealer contacted them, they came and took a look and covered it. I had no clue until I picked it up when they told me there the repair was of no expense to me. It was then that I knew I would never buy anything but a Honda. Since then, I've bought at least 15 Hondas, just about all of which were new, and I'm not done yet......

18. junkins45

junkins45 New Member

, just about all of which were new, and I'm not done yet......[/QUOTE]

you just left me in suspense...lol

19. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    My oldest son will be moving from his CRF150 to the CRF230 in the next year or two. I'm planning to replace my XR650R with a CRF450X when the FI model comes out which I hope is in 2013. From a street perspective, I'd still like to get an ST1300 down the road and even further down the road, probably a Gold Wing. Like I said, there will be more, some are known right now and others will be determined down the road ...

20. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

25yo CM200T on a shot battery, just added gas and cranked it, it just started up and ran great. Hadn't been run in 3yrs.