Winter storage time

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Army86VFR750, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Army86VFR750

Army86VFR750 New Member

So, what does everyone do to their bikes before putting them into storage for the winter? How do you keep mice out of the exhaust and intake? Do you put it on the centerstand, front and rear stands, or just park it? Fuel additives?

2. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Like always, I don't recommend storing your bike unless it's an absolute neccesity. Buy some good cold weather gear & ride year round. Since you're in MD, if I can ride all year, so should you. If you still decide to store the bike, do some or all of these things:

1) Run StaBil accoriding to the instructions on the bottle. Consider this a mandatory step. It costs $10 a bottle & will last several months of normal riding.

2) Wash & wax the bike.

3) Put plastic protectant (Armor All, etc) on all the porous plastics & seat.

4) Fill the tires to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall.

5) Lube all your cables & chains.

6) Put the bike on the center stand & find a way to keep the front wheel off the ground. I use a fork stand for the VFR & a block of wood under the headers for the Hawk GT.

7) Buy some preserving oil for the motor. Any auto parts store should know what you need. Take out each plug & put in the amount specified. Put the plugs back in but leave the wires off. Turn the motor over to distribute the oil.

8) Plug the muffler & air intake with a rag.

9) Disconnect & remove the battery. Store it separately from the bike. Put it on a battery tender from time to time.

10) If the bike is stored outside, put a quality cover on it but remove it periodically to make sure moisture is not accumulating or critters haven't taken up residence. If stored inside, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use a cover. Using a cover inside doesn nothing but attract & retain moisture.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

3. Army86VFR750

Army86VFR750 New Member

Thanks for the help. I didn't think about the moisture inside while under a cover, just keeping the dirt and cats off of it.

As for the year-round riding, well, maybe from time to time, but not too much. Its usually dark when I leave, and dark when I get home. But during the snow and below 45, nahh, not me. Plus, it will sit for a while, as I plan to do some work on it. Rebuild the carbs and forks, some powder coating and fairing repair.

4. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Winter storage?!

[​IMG]

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    KC-10's suggestions are Outstanding!!

i would only add that it's good practice to oil up your fork tubes to prevent rust pitting....

i prefer to drain my carbs via the float bowl drain screws and run the motor out of gas by turning the petcock to off until it quits, then apply full choke and run it again 'till it quits....this sucks all the fuel from carb passages.

don't fake it, drewl; that's not you and that's not California...

6. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    It is very much I in Cali. I have witnesses.

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Is that you just getting home from the last Central Coast 'Que?

8. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Snowy August Nights, we call them.

9. Army86VFR750

Army86VFR750 New Member

That's crazy! I like my sack in its factory location. I rode to my dads in 45* weather and it took 20 minutes to thaw. I might take it out every now and then, but not much.

As for riding in snow, nope, not me! I don't even like rain that much.

10. IrrerD

IrrerD New Member

I can verify drewl as I used to live not far from him in Quincy (pre-VFR days,) and yes, snow can come quite early to the Sierras. Here in south central Montana, it seems to change from year to year. Last winter, there was only a two-week block in February when I couldn't ride. This winter? Well, starting tomorrow, the next NINE days are predicted to be below freezing... with some snow and high winds. I'll be storing it for a while.

11. Traveller

Traveller New Member

Greece
    Map
    I usually store the Ducati in winter because as I don't have a closed garage I need to keep moisture out as much as possible.

So I got one of them "Bike Pockets" which basically encloses the bike inside and zips up to keep moisture and prying eyes away. ;) It even has some gel bags to soak up any moisture inside the cover.

So what I do usually is put the bike on a paddock stand, fill up the tank, wash/wax and then zip it up.

This year though due to bad economic conditions, I will probably be going the whole nine yards and storing it for a good while longer...

PS. Guess where I got this special cover from!! :p

Attached Files: