Worried about my new tire

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by cynyc, Jul 4, 2008.

1. cynyc

cynyc New Member

Map
    Hi all, I'm new around here but a long time lurker. I've owned bikes before, but not for about 10 years(1993 Suzuki Katana 600, 1996 Suzuki GSX-R 750).

Anyway. I recently bought an '05 bone stock and I love it. I got it for a song too. 2000 miles for $7k without a scratch on it. Within the first week, I picked up a nail in the stock rear tire. So I head down to the local Mom & Pop cycle shop and tell the guy that I'd like to get the rear tire replaced. He has no problem selling me the tire, he just has to order it and it will take 3 days to get it in.

The problem was that Dunlop doesn't make my stock tire anymore. No problem, lets look at my options. So the owner shows me a few tires and suggests the Dunlop D616 hybrid. He says its a good all-around tire and should be fine on my VFR. So I agree to it and pay for the tire.

The tire arrives and I take the bike down there to get the tire installed. My question is, did I screw up? This tire doesn't look like its going to be worthy of taking a curve very well. The tread pattern isn't very confidence inspiring. I've searched this forum and haven't found ANYONE talking about this model tire and its starting to worry me.:unsure:

[​IMG]

2. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

Looks like a nice touring tire.
    Don't know how it will handle in the twisty stuff
    I don't like Dunlop tires. Cupping on the front as it wears caused
    head shake on deceleration
    I Run Metzler Sportec M3's on my baby.
    Metzler only makes tires for motorcycles.
    You gotta like that attitude.

Attached Files:

3. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    I think you'll be fine. I saw a guy with those tires on a super moto tearing up some twisty mountain roads. I parked next to him at the top of the crest and asked him about the tires. He said he really liked them, handled great on the pavement. He also said they worked decent on dirt roads. If your still worried do an internet search on them and look at the Dunlop website.

Action

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    If you go by Dunlops description - you should be ok.

Dunlop TireD616

I dont think it would be my first choise. So do you have a D204 in the front? That model tire is not very good - you may consider a matching tire for the front. Take it ez for a while.

Are you an agressive lean it corner guy?

MD

5. cynyc

cynyc New Member

Map
    I'm not a real aggressive driver by any means. But, I'd rather have more traction than I need.....does that sound right? The owner of the shop I bought them from has these tires on his BMW R1200RT. He says he tends to drive kinda aggressive and this tire has more traction than he can use.

I think my problem is that these new tires look so much different than the stock ones. They may be fine for my riding style but I can't find much information from other users.

Here are some pictures of the D616 on my bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

7. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    take a note of dunlops own recomendation for this tyre.

'Do not mix these radials with other radials or non-radials, fit only in pairs.'

personally i wouldnt fit a front as these tyres are aimed predominantly at large capacity dual purpose bikes like the BMW R1200 GS and Buell Ulysee's,
    hence the large channels for extra grip in dirt/gravel roads.

the larger gaps can cause tyre squirm when used on full sport bikes under heavy load.

just check that handling isnt compromised or effected by having a mis matched set of tyres. it may be ok but its safer to keep it in mind.

id go for conti road attacks to replace the OEM tyres.

cheers

RT

8. alter ego

alter ego New Member

Map
    I see where you are coming from..... The tread pattern is pretty aggressive in a dual purpose way for a VFR. I would look into the new dual compound Dunlops or maybe the Michelin Pilot Road 2s since its probably a good idea to match rubber front and back anyway. You can keep that tire as a spare for emergencies like picking up another nail. If it bothers you enough to post your concerns here it probably is worth going with your gut and making it right.

9. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Since Dunlop themselves say not to mix these tires with other tires & the D204K sucks large, that leaves you with 2 options.

1) Get another D616 for the front. I wouldn't just because these are not the type of tires that were intended to go on these bikes.

2) Get a new set of tires. I am more than happy with my Continental's. Others have recommended various brands & models.

Tires, after the rider, are the most important part on a motorcycle. Don't skimp & don't ride on tires that you yourself are not comfortable with.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

10. cynyc

cynyc New Member

Map
    Thanks for all your help guys. You are probably right on getting something different. I think I'm gonna go back and see if I can buy the tires online and have him install them. I'm pretty limited around here on getting my baby worked on and I like to give my money to the small business owner when possible.

I'll just keep this one as a spare and get me a set of better tires. Thanks for all the help.

Where do you guys usually buy your tires online?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  11. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    It looks like it'd do great in the rain.

12. 84cb700sc

84cb700sc New Member

I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s and love them, I have been running pilot Powers on my other bikes and never had a problem. Give that tire a try while searching...And I would always change front and rear at the same time or at least type of tire.

13. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    those tires look to aggressive tread for a sport bike IMO. went from mz4 to conti road attacks it like a different machine! i think your making a good decision its amazing how different tires can make such a huge difference get the best tire that gives you the most confidence, its money well spent

14. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

15. Taz

Taz New Member

Wait just a minute & hold on there -
    KC10 These tyres have been talked about on VFRworld & were designed for ALL weather & aggressive in town street riding.
    The side affects of the tyres have been they are outstandingly good handlers in the canyons, Sport touring. & even track day's.

But more importantly, they run best as recomended with front & rear matched tyres.

I have 4800 miles on mine so far & had origanally wanted them for just Fall & winter riding & they were & are the best tyres for that.

Remember how many times in the canyons & you get water run off from snow melt or springs in a turn & it's dicey.
    Well not with these tyres, I just seem to just blast along with out any body or throttle adjustment with out a hitch.

I have a set of Road Smarts that I was going to put on this spring & just haven't the need so far.

I do wish they made smaller sizes so I could use them on my SuperMoto's that take 160 to 170 size rears, the set up would be awsome & even wrote Dunlop about it, & was replied to that it is possibly in the works.

Danimal, when was the last time you used Dunlops, especially the modern Qualifiers ????

Yea the 204's, 207's, & the low budget ones that come on new bikes (same with Bridgstones, Michelins, & Pirellies) are sh_t , but the ones you order are the Bomb (alway's ck manu dates B-4 buying tyres of any brand), & The Qualifiers have won, every mag shoot out I've read for Canyons & the track.
    Not to mention I haven't seen the newer ones cup on the streets or track.

So to answer the origanal question, The D616's are awsome & with the addition of a front D616, your bike will have no bad effects & just give more confidence to ride better & safer (wet or dry conditions).

p.s. the Thread that I wrote as "Being Married can be good" was the ride I did with the D616's fully loaded sport touring (Side paniers, trunk, tank bag, my wife & I) the 466 miles of mostly Nat'l Forest & Park riding twisty roads & sweepers. I have never had more confidence in a set of tyres as I did with the D616's :party2:

16. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    I have used the Dunlop Qualifiers and they stick well and I get abou 5K miles from the rear. I got about 8K out of the OEM D208 on the front. I now have a set of Road Smart tiers. I have about 100 miles on them, but so far, these tires are really sticky. Rode about 20 miles to a local ferry. While we waited for the ferry, I checked my tires and they were still sticky after a few minutes of sitting still.

Bottom line, opinions on tires will vary from rider to rider, brand to brand. If you don't want to spen a large amount of money, buy a matching front. I would think you'd be ok if you are not an aggressive rider.

17. Comicus

Comicus New Member

United States
    Map
  18. cynyc

cynyc New Member

Map
    Thanks for the link. I've gotta see if my guy will put the Conti Road attacks on if I buy them online instead of through him.:pray:

19. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

It's another tire thread. LOL!!
    Taz, I am glad you like those tires. I didn't say anything negative. They look like they would be rough riding, tho. I am judging Dunlop by the Dunlop 204's that came on my VFR when it was new. Perhaps, that is not fair to them. But I have always bought Metzlers to replace new tires when they are worn out. I should try something different but I love the way the M#'s feel. they give me the confidence to ride the way I want. It's all subjective. We all know that there as many opions as there are tires. It's all good. Like I said Metzler ONLY Makes tires for motorcycles. I like that attitude..

20. cynyc

cynyc New Member

Map
    Thanks for all your help guys. I went back to my local bike guy and told him the problem. He felt bad for suggesting this tire if it wasn't what I was looking for. So he made me a deal. I told him I could get the Conti Road Attack for about $220 for the pair on RideDirect.com. He said he couldn't possibly match that price so he said," How about $250 for the tires and $30 for the install." I said deal.

I've got my first big charity ride on July 20 and I'll have my new Conti's on there. The ride ends at Kentucky Motor Speedway in Sparta KY. Its a 1.5 mile tri-oval. When we get there, we go on a supervised lap first. Then, you can take a "Semi Supervised"(wink,wink) lap later.:thumbsup: