Would a 2006 VFR 800 make a good first bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by baba ganoush, May 23, 2007.

1. baba ganoush

baba ganoush New Member

I've only had dirt bikes in the past but never a sport/tour bike. I plan on taking my MSF course in the next couple weeks and at the same time or shortly thereafter I want to buy a 2006 VFR I've had my eyes on.

It is still brand new so I want something with warranty, easy to maintain for now, etc. I'm also in my 30s 6'1 190 and feel I can handle a larger bike and like the fit.

Does this bike make sense for a first timer? Any tips or insight you can offer would be great. Thank you!

2. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

As a first time rider - you're going to drop it. Get a cheap bike to learn on for 6 mos. and then get the VFR. Plastic is EXPENSIVE!!

3. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

Being you've already got dirt bike experience and have plans to take the MSF I think the VFR would make a fine first bike. Like the above poster indicated you'll probably drop it at some point, but that mishap isn't isolated to just newbie riders. I would think the main issue for new riders with the VFR would be the weight of the thing, but we're about the same size and I don't have any trouble with it. Just be careful and respect it, it's an easy bike to ride but still powerful enough to bite you in the ass if you're stupid about it.

4. baba ganoush

baba ganoush New Member

Good to know... I'll probably be a big baby on it more than anything. And I'm trying to avoid something older where maintenance is an issue. It's more to take road trips, commute in a little more style/comfort while getting great gas mileage, etc. Not for racing around and hot rodding.

5. chesthing

chesthing New Member

This has to be the best/most ignored advice on bike forums.

6. baba ganoush

baba ganoush New Member

I've heard about the guaranteed dumping thing quite a bit and that does bother me. It would really suck to do that with a new bike... I'm trying to figure that out... maybe get something cheap that runs good as a practice bike but that's just more expense, etc. I may have a friend who can help me with replacement parts/plastics :wink:

7. pontiacformula99

pontiacformula99 New Member

Practice all you want, but that isn't always going to avoid a mishap. Add to that the fact that bikes don't ride quite the same or feel the same in turns... When I got mine I just took it easy and one step at a time until I gained a certain comfort level and then took it up a notch... If you feel comfortable and know your limits, then that's what counts.

8. k9style00

k9style00 New Member

Map
    I used to ride dirt bikes also, never had a street bike until 2 months ago. Took my MSF class and bought an 06 vfr 4 wks later. I'm in my 30's also and weigh about 165. I love the bike. Even with the tank full it doesn't seem heavy. It handles great. I took it very easy for the first 600 miles (break-in) but as my riding experience and confidence have grown I've managed to let her loose a couple times and the bike simply is amazing. I would highly recommend getting as much safety gear as possible. Get the most expensive (best) and comfortable helmet you can afford and a jacket with the hard pads, not the foam sissy things. Good luck.

9. baba ganoush

baba ganoush New Member

Very cool... sounds like my situation exactly. What about boots... any recommendations there? I need something that allows me to feel what is going on with my feet but also provide protection.

Thanks!!

10. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    Sidi, Vanson, Arai oh My! Can you say HELOC! Good luck! Its not like you are 19 or something wheelieing down main St. , it would be a fine first ride provided you respect its over 500lbs. I started on a Nighthawk 700S which was perfect,,,for me. True, it does make you less puckered dropping a cheaper ride for sure.

Ultimately the bike, especially a first has to get you up early in the morning to go play with her.:yo:

11. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

I didn't really lose money on my first bike. It was a Honda '74 550Four.

Purchased for $550

Replaced the battery and chain during the 6 months I had it

Sold it for $500.

Best $50 I've ever spent . . .

12. pwpierce

pwpierce New Member

I'm not sure how this will be received, being my first post and all, but my situation was almost exactly like yours.

I have been riding dirt bikes my whole life (I'm 36 - also about 6'2"/190) and my first bike is a brand new VFR, bought about a month ago. As an adult, I rode mostly a CR 250, and I guess I felt prepared for the bigger bike as opposed to a "learner".

I haven't really had the bike long enough to get into serious trouble on the road, but the size/power of the bike has not been an issue. Frankly the thing is just so much damn fun to ride.

I did get the best helmet that I could afford and also a pair of gloves and a jacket with hard inserts (although it is mesh - hot in Mississippi in the summer).

Hope this helps.

13. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Yo Baba; I started out riding street bikes when I was 16, thought I became a good street rider over the first few years. Then I did a turnabout and started riding dirt bikes, man I was not the rider that I thought I was,I was plain
    lousy. I worked really hard on my off road skills, started riding amature motorcross and enduro events and just became to old and beat up to enjoy it anymore. Never the less I went back to street riding and felt my skills as a street rider were very strong due to my off road experience. If you have ridden good solid off road and not just putted around ,then I think the VFR would be a fine choice,some of the guys said earlier in this thread the potential of dropping the bike. That can happen to the most seasoned of riders. I say
    go for the VFR! eddie cap:smile:

14. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    If you had no motorcycle riding experience at all, then I would agree that you need a starter bike. Since you have off-road experience, I assume that you know how to operate a clutch and have a good feel for how the bike is underneath you. If this is true, then I don't think you will have any trouble at all. For beginners, the clutch and bike control are the most difficult things to learn which is why they often drop the bike. Off-road is in my opinion, is the best place to start before moving to the street. People who have that opportunity are very fortunate. If you're careful with the bike and ramp up slowly, then I think you'll be just fine.

15. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I started out on a 78 Suzuki GS400 about 3-4 years ago. I wanted to ride so bad I got it from a friend for free after it had sat for seven years in his yard. Spent a few months restoring it and about $500 and it was a great first bike to learn on. Problem was I was always working on it and after about 6 months, I was redlining it constantly. I knew then it was time to upgrade. Last thing is.....I never dropped that old POS, but I have dropped my VFR in the driveway! Murpheys Law! :smile:

For me, the VFR probably would not have been a good first bike. I was even intimidated by it when I first got it, but one year later now....I love it.
    I think a great first sport bike is that Ninja 250/500 or the Suzuki GS500F. Cheap and fast!

16. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    I had a Ninja 500 for a learner bike and they rock. They are a little on the small side but a lot of fun. They even run pretty well on the interstate. The VFR's not a bad bike to learn on but I think you would learn FASTER on something smaller and cheaper. I got the Ninja for $2000 and sold it for the same amount 6 months later. A friend bought a used SV 650 and did the same thing.

Action

17. 5891Jonathan

5891Jonathan New Member

Map
    My advice is consistent with my personal experience. "Start out in the dirt!" Seems like you have done that. If you have significant motorcycling experience in the dirt - breaking the rear wheel loose and hooking up, pushing through sand/dirt, moving the bike around bumps/washouts/craters - you will do fine on an Interceptor. Pay attention to the advice about street gear and watch out for the ass*oles behind the wheel. They are the Wild Cards. But you already know that. Have fun!

18. chesthing

chesthing New Member

That's what I'm talking about. Why do newbees always think they will lose money buying a cheap bike to start? I'll tell you how to lose real money - buy a new bike like a VFR and lose interest in motorcycling and/or drop it, then try to sell it the following spring.
    That being said, experience in the dirt will help as will age and driving experience, but my advice is always to buy something cheap - $2,000 at most, and take a season to 1) see if you really enjoy it and 2) not flip out if it falls over due to inexperience. How many newbies have dropped their bikes because they thought the kickstand was down? you can easily cause a grand or more damage on a fully faired bike from a mistake so common. I won't even talk about $ to fix a bike going down while moving. Ok, I'll stop ranting now.

19. oss

oss New Member

i agree that happens to newbs, but ive seen experienced riders do the same thing. if you want the VFR get it, and if you decide to change your mind later-on take a good while before deciding to sell it. if you drop it make damn sure you get back on soon.(don't lose your nerve) experience is the best tool you can have.

20. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Lilke the others i agree with the idea of starting on the dirt. I too went that route starting with dirt bikes then progressing to street bikes. However i have been bitten twice by the street machines...once by a buddies R6 when i lowsided it...i quit riding for nearly 5 years because of that...my VF is my return into street bikes and this time im enjoying the ride.