X Pipe exhaust for the VF700/750F.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Outlawz24, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey guys.....Turns out theres still one builder who makes a full exhaust for our 1st gens. Found this link on the SOHC forum im also a member of and sent the guy an email early this morning requesting a pic of the system for our bikes. I got the reply back this afternoon along with the pic. I must say i see what im savin up for :biggrin: I will warn you though it will need some additional work to properly fit it to our bikes namely adding any needed hangers and whatnot to get it tucked close to the bikes chassis. along with the coating of your choice. But the point is...its still avalable new for our bikes!!! I could care less about having to custom fit it to my bike otherwise.

http://www.x-pipe.com/motorcycle.html

Heres a pic of the system for our bikes..

[​IMG]

More then likely could easily be fitted to a VF1000 as well from the looks of it.

2. pockrock

pockrock New Member

Map
    That's very nice!
    I see this producers covers many bikes definitely out of production, V4 400 Interceptor included and many other makes, too.
    I wonder which amount of work is necessary to fit in the bike properly.

3. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    from what i have read on the CB forums mostly adding hangers, springs, anything needed to make the system custom fit your bike, I could very well be finding out this summer exactly whats needed. i can see you would have to use your original flanges hence why i said it may be easily addapted to the VF1000 as well.

4. GenLightening

GenLightening New Member

It looks like they list one for the 1000R. I've sent an email, so we'll see if they still make it.

5. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    So, did you ever hear back from them?

6. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    I talked to this guy about three years ago. He's really knowledgeable about exhausts. The x-pipe is a novel idea but I have yet to see any dyno results. I wanted to offer them through my site but he would not provide me with a system at anything other than full price. I was going to perform the dyno tests myself and wanted him to help out with a discounted system to offset my costs, but he wouldn't bite. I'd love to see some before and after dyno tests, until then it's just a pretty picture.

7. GenLightening

GenLightening New Member

I did and here's what Monty wrote:

<Doug,

Hi. I just tried to update myself on your Honda.

In the past few years I started selling on eBay, so the inventory, jigs & fixtures take some rounding up.

Honda moved around a lot on these V's.

If you want to make sure that the system will fit, maybe, if you could remove your OEM systems and take some measurements, we could be more certain.

The rear pipes separate from the shorter pipe bolted to the rear exhaust ports; it is a slip joint with a compression clamp. The front pipes separate from the front head. If you can drop your OEM system, I'll try to help figure out which system, that I have, will fit your application.

OK?

Monty>

So if anyone wants to take some measurements and send them to them he looks willing to make some up.

8. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    One thing i noticed after taking another look at this set up is this..it would allow you to use what ever slip on you wish. So there is a possible weight savings there as well over the stock set up. I'm probably gonna be ordering one of these systems sometime this year possibly provided i don't have any other nasty surprises like the starter going on my bike and the timing chain going on my truck...

9. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Newbie $0.02

Hey Folks,

I realize I'm a newbie to this forum, but it's early in the day & I feel like throwing in an exhaust opinion. My ride is an '84 VF700F. Frankly, I love the sound of her with the stock cans removed, period. I have no dyno results for what happens to the performance :^), but she sure sounds good this way to me. Caveats being, only good for short rides (loud), not legal (loud), did I mention really really loud.

Last year or so, I took the stock mufflers off, & replaced them with what Supertrapp calls spark arrestors. These are essentially short, tuneable (12 plates) pipes w/o muffling. I never could get the sound/performance right, so I gave up on it. I just happen to like the short GP cans look right at the collector w/o big honkin cans coming way back on my bike :^). Not for everyone I admit.

Anders

10. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Do you still have these spark arrestors on your bike or are you running an open collector? I too have been trying to emulate the GP look. still in the planning stages at this time though...But i have also been looking at these X pipes along with the idea of just messing around with the baffles in the stock cans...Have also considered getting a pair of those spark arrestors that you mentioned and just welding them to the ends of the cans after gutting them.

11. elf800

elf800 Banned

Dude just contact CANIB(whiskey technologies) you can get a pipe 4 15 dollars with the looks of sanford and son and the performance of yugo I realize sometimes people try to do their own thang but this is the greatest marvel in mechanical history for mankind since the wheel and the mission to the moon:biggrin:the only greater power on earth and in our primative existance to the higher powers that exist are NOZ and his right hand man TAZ.....................

12. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Outlawz24,

I still have the arrestors, but not on the bike. I actually put the stock cans back on as I'm planning to do some distance riding this season, and frankly, quiet can be comfortable :^). When I got the arrestors, I had a local muffler shop form two adapters that I could clamp on, then found the additional clamps I needed from other bikes. Standard muffler clamps are uuuugggleee ;^). I also removed the center stand & left it such that I can put it on for maintenance or trips. The look was nice/clean, but perf. suffered. Running an open collector, the perf. also appears to suffer (strictly feel, no scientific data). I've read that 2-3 psi back pressure is a necessary thing. Another idea I considered was to get a couple of cheap cherry bomb mufflers and hacking into them. Didn't try that though. Competition Werks has some nice looking GP cans for modern sportbikes, I wonder if any would fit. Of course, now you're talking $$$.

Good luck,
    Anders

13. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    what are your plans with the old arrestors? I may have a muffler design that could make use of them. Basically i would be taking a short length of pipe that will be large enough to fit a dog bone baffle inside of with an adaptor for the collector at one end and an arrestor at the other creating basicly a hand fitted version of the supertrapp cans in a way.

14. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

I don't have specific plans for the arrestors at this time. I should mention that one is a Supertrapp unit, the other a Supertrapp 'look alike' from an off-road vehicle on-line supplier though.

I'm trying to douse the itch to 'work on' my Interceptor as I have another project involving a 1982 Kaw KZ750-H4 in the works. I'm looking at 'tossing' the Kaw engine and attempting to go electric.

15. jiggyboy63

jiggyboy63 New Member

hi i have a 1985 vf 700f interceptor and sometimes after riding it for a while when i restart it it seems that at last one or two cylinder seem to take a minute to begin to fire.could it be spark related.pssibel saprk units or alzy coils

16. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    I'll start by saying WTF do I know but it seems like an odd setup for the V4. I understand their theory with the whole X thing but it seems better suited for inline motors(for bikes) or v car motors where the exhaust is traveling back towards the X, then crossing and splitting and cleanly exiting rearward. This setup seems to have the rears firing directly at the fronts with VERY little(or no) chamber room to either redirect the rears toward the mid pipes or have them blend or cross in the "X" before cleanly exiting reward? Don't exhaust gases hate sharp redirections? I too would like to see Dyno #'s.

17. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    *ahem* Thread res

18. Iospina

Iospina New Member

so i'm considering buying these but i really want to know how they sound/feel on the bike and even how they look on it. also if putting some new cans on this old bike would be a good idea performance wise. money is no problem for me cause i have patience to save up.

19. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Have you contacted the X-Pipe guy recently? I woldn't just assume they actually have that exhaust. The last time I talked to him (a couple of years ago) he had one VF1000 set and mentioned most of the items shown on his site were what he could do but not necessarily what he has on hand.