Yes, A chain lube ??

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by RVFR, May 30, 2017.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    So I have been reevaluating my chain lube, being things change, I've used a many different products over the years, so pretty sure I'm doing ok, I just wanta hear from those that have what they feel a good product. So in that nothing like a chain lube thread.

In that I came across what looked to be a good kit of sorts, if ones into that sort of thing. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFZU25S/?tag=gearcaptain-chain-lubes-20
    I've used chain wax with decent results, thing is I'm one that usually starts with one type when the chain is new and sticks with it.
    Any of the Maxima products do me ok, currently using their synthetic chain lube, so yea why not.
    But.... I also like Dupont chain lube as well. I've used it before then ran out and started using something else whan i installed a new chain. Then there's this stuff which has a pretty good inter net rating if one can believe that sort of thing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...496187318&SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA

2. vdrive

vdrive New Member

United States
    Map
    started riding motorcycles in the mid sixties & have tried just about everything to lube chains.tried Maxima chain wax several years back & haven"t found a better product for the job.If there is something better,I"m all ears! there is no substitute for regular chain maint. of cleaning & proper lube.

3. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Here's what I use - no complaints:

[​IMG]

Be careful with this Pro Honda stuff however because there's a warning label on the back stating that a fire may result if you use it on a Ducati :beguiled:

[video=youtube;rUSve-sOiao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUSve-sOiao[/video]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    dupont chain saver PTFE

5. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    I have been using the Maxima chain wax for about 6,000 miles, very happy with it so far. Much cleaner than the old Bel-Ray from back in the day.
    PS: Have been using wax on the mountain bike chain for years.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I hate chain wax.... Been using the ProHonda Moly/Teflon product for a lot of years. Spray on, let dry. No sling, great stuff.

James Bond likes this.
  7. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    Lube with a dry Teflon spray. AFTER cleaning with either kerosene or wd-40.

8. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    A lot of my decision depends on how often I want and need to clean the chain which isn't very often. What Honda recommends works quite well without the dirt collecting properties a lot of chain lubes have. Wax-like lubes work well if you like cleaning chains often as you should when they collect road crap. All of them lube chains well. I either use what Honda recommends, The Dupont spray on chain lube, or Honda chain lube. They're all thin and don't "gunk up" the chain. I've had to only slightly tighten my chain once in a little over 10K miles on a bike ridden hard in twisties. To each their own. Chain lube and oil threads are very similar.

9. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Since you brought up cleaning the chain we might as well discuss that as well since it's closely related - hopefully RVFR won't mind the slight thread-jacking :glee:

Here's what I use to clean the chain before I lube it - again no complaints. The can says it's "High Performance" so it must be pretty good stuff :witless:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    The biggest problem I encounter with this product is that I can't find it in Canada. S, every so often, it is a trip across the border to buy a couple cans. One of those trips is in the very near future. YOu used to be able to get really small cans of that stuff which was nice for travelling when you are on the road for weeks at a time. Storage space is critical when travelling on the bike. But those small cans are getting hard to find.

I also use DuPont Chain De-greeser or WD40 to clean the chain too. I take the bike to the car wash and soak the chain well with either product then spray it down to remove the gung. A short ride home and then lube.

I know everyone is going to jump in about high pressure hoses blowing out the O rings (in my case X rings) but if you are careful, that does not happen. I have been doing this for almost as long as I have had the bike and have never blown out the rings. that was 205,000 km ago.

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I have tried just about everything on dirt bikes, race bikes, street bikes......... By far the best I have found is DuPont Chain-Saver with Teflon Fluoropolymer.

12. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    Hmmmm... I'm the lazy kind of user, and i've installed a DIY chain oiler with 75w80 transmission oil... It all gets nasty over time but chain keeps oiled no matter how much i neglect checking it.

13. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been using the Maxima was for years, as well. Great stuff. I would never use kerosene or WD-40 to clean a chain when the Maxima CleanUp chain cleaner works so f'ing good! Best cleaner out there, and rinses with water, so it's super easy to use.

14. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'm thinking this is very much like motor oil, the key is maintenance, cleaning and lubing should be a part of your routine. What you use can be a personal preference but ultimately choosing something that is safe and intended for O/X-ring chains should be the key. If I wash the bike first, I definitely use WD-40 to help dispel any water that may have seeped into the chain and then I use PJ-1 Blue Label as the lubricant. Like most others here, no issues and good chain life has been my experience.

I did however buy a tube of Motul chain paste to keep with me when I do long road trips. It's small enough to pack and it's pretty simple to apply. Although I'm sure if I looked I could find a small can of PJ-1 but the paste tube is a bit smaller.

[​IMG]

15. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The common mistake most people make is applying the chain lube at the wrong time and applying too much when they do. That is where the mess comes from.

16. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I use Maxima as well. Good stuff.

17. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    [​IMG]
    Nasty, but oiled...
    [​IMG]
    Rc car fuel tank regulator and relay, it only oils when riding. Once correctly adjusted i just forget about it, just check that there is oil on the tank and ride... I use it every day +-150km

18. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    My 1984 VF750F had an OEM chain oiler like that. The Honda parts fiche called it the clutch pushrod seal . . .

mwlehman likes this.
  19. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Scottoiler. Correctly set up is a great bit of kit. Any fling can be washed off with water no need for a degreaser.

20. clarkm8

clarkm8 New Member

I like using the Maxima chain wax also. Not messy and keeps the chain lubed after riding in the rain.