Yoshimura RS3, advice please...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by ridnout, Jul 23, 2016.

1. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    I have found a listing for a new Yoshimura RS3 locally where the buyer found later that it would not work for his application. I'm concerned of what details of the dimensions I would need to inquire to insure fitment to a '99 5TH Gen. Here is a picture...

RS3.jpg

Of course diameter of the inlet. On that note, as I'm not at home to measure, what is the diameter of the inlet? Have looked at an exploded view and see that they are adaptable.

Thanks in advance.

Any other advice would also be appreciated.

Yes, ahhh, how do they sound compared to a gutted and shortened stock muffler? Mine sounds sinister, even for the fraction of a moment when starting, you know it's mean.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

My recollection of the 5 Gen (2001) header exit pipe is that it is 2", I don't think they would actually differ between years (98-01). However, I have a set of 98-99 cat-less headers that I can measure just to be sure. As far as the Yoshimura can you have, I cannot say if the mid pipe there has the right bend to it. Off hand it looks like it does but that's going by visual memory.

3. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    All is appreciated. Please do. If you would have a picture of your install that would help also. Thanks.

4. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    RS3.jpg PIPE1.JPG

Mine measures 13" from the can to the end of the pipe and about 4-1/2" from the can to mid bend of the pipe.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Here are some pics I took a while back when I first got my 2Bros High Mount Exhaust. I hope these are helpful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the I.D. of the exhaust mid-pipe.

[​IMG]

6. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Contacted the seller. He is only 14 minutes away. The original application is for a Yamaha R-6, 2003. I am trying to get part numbers, particularly for the mid-pipe. I can't seem to find a part number for the 5TH Gen VFR, arghhhh. I'm still looking for a mid-pipe part number for the R-6 to compare. Thanks. Keep up the helpful discussion, and please let me know if any more info becomes available.

7. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Y2KViffer, how does she sound? My shortened, gutted, and powdercoated exhaust sounds positively throaty and mean!

8. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    It's not much louder than stock, but def sounds better.

9. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Oh my, I've gone and looked at complete systems offered by Delkevic as well as their slip-ons. I had already consigned myself to purchase, later but not too much later, some headers from them to replace those mild steel ones found on the '98 and '99 examples. Mine are obviously rusty. In the mean-time I could just wrap them but for not only looks but for the benefit of keeping the exhaust heat mostly confined inside the tubes for better evacuation of the spent gases... Yeah, yeah, they are gonna rust them completely out eventually, yup I ride in the rain. And, yes, I would not wrap the stainless ones and am not so concerned with getting the Jet-Hot coated-->Nice but I could spend a bit on something else.

A complete system is not that expensive at the end of the day and would shield me from having to refinish them, just bolt up and go. I like the benefit of having a a removable baffle so that I could make it loud on certain outings and remain discrete on others.

************* Dang, I wish they sold individual mid-pipes!!!! I'd get a high-mount and the standard for those pillion days. *****************

What do you guys think?

Stainless Steel / Slip-On 456204 1361257
    Titanium / Slip-On 456205 1361257
    Carbon Fiber / Slip-On 456203 1361252

Here are Revzilla & Yoshimura part numbers for the years corresponding to the 2003 and other Yammie R6. Would anyone have the part number for any one or more of those corresponding to the VFR? They are listed Rev, Yoshi respectively.

Thanks again.