You guys use your rear brake much?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Befbever, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Befbever

Befbever New Member

The reason I ask is the Combined Brake System which is new to me. As an owner anyway.
    I think I use the rear brake more than the average sportsbike rider but apparently, still not enough: the pads operated by the rear brake don't seem to wear much.

Photographic proof :smile: :

beforepads.jpg

I cleaned the pistons best I could without letting any air in or fluid out. I did this in June. They clean up better than Brembo pistons but aren't fully accessible. Obviously.
    I have a brake upgrade coming up in September when the pistons, seals and dust caps are coming out anyway so I didn't want to waste too much effort on it. The new EBC HH pads (same as the old) made the bike brake much better and moving the pistons has apparently pushed some trapped air out because the lever is much firmer now.

half_clean_pistons.jpg

2. BumbleBee99

BumbleBee99 New Member

Canada
    Map
    At faster speeds I use both brakes in combination. In slow stop and go traffic I tend to use the rear brakes more, especially if I'm trying to creep the bike waiting for the light to turn green.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Bases on your picture look like only two piston work causing uneven wear :confused:
    I used both front and rear occasionally rear for trail brake

4. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Just front unless trail breaking or in need of everything I got.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

This is just an hypothesis, but it could be that the linked brake system only operates the two pistons when the front brake is used and all three are engaged by the rear brake pedal, or vice a versa, hence more wear on the two piston pads and less on the single pad.......

6. Ocard

Ocard New Member

I'm always using both brakes. However, rear lasts three times as long as front. I'm actively trying to use the rear brake more, but have to stomp on it quite hard.

7. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd be careful developing habits in which you overuse the rear brake. There are all sorts of situations in which even a little too much on the rear brake can lock it (braking uphill in rain for example). Just mah dos centos.

8. Ocard

Ocard New Member

Overuse? Lock up? Won't ever happen. (And IF it was possible to happen, braking uphill would be one of the least likely situations.) On the other hand, using the rear brake too little is wasting brake distance.

9. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Actually braking uphill in wet conditions is a weird situation in which the rear wheel locks easily, don't ask me why. But it's cool, go ahead and stomp that rear break...

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    there's a rear brake?

:smile:

with LBS, there is no reason really to touch the rear brake pedal.

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I have linked brakes and ABS. I think I use both when coming to a stop most the time and just use the fronts to adjust speed when throttle use is not enough. I agree with tyaro. Don't get into bad habits. Some could be said for relying only on the front brake. In a panic situation, you will revert to what your habits are and using just your rear brakes in a panic stop is not a good thing. Nor is just the front.

As far as the rear pads wearing little, if you are using both front and back, your fronts are likely to wear more than the rear. Most of the momentum is forced on the front when you are stopping so it only stands to reason, there is more force placed on the front pads. Look at older cars with drum brakes. The front drums and shoes are about twice the size as the rear for this very reason.

12. lshark

lshark New Member

the rear pedal is the only one involved in the linked braking process on the VFR12.... the foot pedal activates the rear caliper and the top piston in the front left caliper....the front brake lever (handlebar) activates the bottom 2 pistons in the left front caliper and all 3 pistons in the right caliper only....so yes, there is a rear brake,...use it
    i was leary of the idea of linked brakes before i bought the 1200, but now i like them

13. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I use the rear for trail braking and on dirt roads. I use both for hard braking and the front most of the time exclusively. My brake pads looked pretty good at last check.

14. Ocard

Ocard New Member

@Randy
    I'd sugest not to panic. However, the bad habit is not using both brakes to maximum effort so I can't understand why you agree with tyaro.

Maybe you mean "braking with the rear pointing uphill" as in "going downhill", than it makes sense what you say. However, it's not weird but simple physics.

15. friedleyjr

friedleyjr New Member

I got this straight out of the CA dmv motorcycle manual

"Braking

Your motorcycle has two brakes: one each for the front and rear wheel.Use both brakes at the same time. The front brake is more powerful and can provide at least three-quarters of your total stopping power. The front brake is safe to use when you use it properly.

REMEMBER:

Use both brakes every time you slow or stop. Using both brakes for “normal” stops permits you to develop the proper habit and skill of using both brakes properly, which you may need in an emergency. Squeeze the front brake and press down on the rear brake. Grabbing at the front brake or jamming down on the rear brake can cause the brakes to lock and result in control problems.
    If you know the technique, using both brakes in a turn is possible, although it should be done very carefully. When you lean the motorcycle, some of the traction is used for cornering and less traction is available for stopping. A skid can occur if you apply too much brake. Also, using the front brake incorrectly on a slippery surface may be hazardous. Use caution and squeeze the brake lever, never “grab” it.
    Some motorcycles have integrated braking systems that link the front and rear brakes together when you apply the rear brake pedal. (Consult your owner’s manual.)"

I hope this helped as for the LA one it says:

Braking
    Improper braking technique remains a significant contributing factor in many motorcycle crashes. Your motorcycle has two brake controls: one for the front wheel and one for the rear wheel. Always use both brakes every time you slow or stop. The front brake is more powerful and can provide at least 70% of your total stopping power. The front brake is safe to use if you use it properly. Maximum straight-line braking is accomplished by fully applying both front and rear brakes without locking either wheel.
    To do this:
    • Squeeze the front brake smoothly, firmly and with progressively more force. Do not grab the brake lever or use abrupt pressure.
    • As the motorcycle’s weight transfers forward, more traction becomes available at the front wheel, so the front brake can be applied harder after braking begins.
    • Keep your knees against the tank and your eyes up, looking well ahead. This helps you stop the motorcycle in a straight line.
    • Apply light-to-lighter pressure to the rear brake pedal to prevent a rear wheel skid. As weight transfers forward less traction is available at the rear. Use less rear brake pressure. Using both brakes for even “normal” stops will permit you to develop the proper habit or skill of using both brakes properly in an emergency. Squeeze the front brake and press down on the rear. Grabbing at the front brake or jamming down on the rear can cause the brakes to lock, resulting in control problems. Braking in a Corner Any time a motorcycle is leaned over, the amount of traction available for braking is reduced. The greater the lean angle, the more the possibility of the tires losing traction. To stop as quickly and as safely as possible in a curve, and depending on road and traffic conditions, try to get the motorcycle as perpendicular to the road as possible, then brake. If conditions do not allow, brake smoothly and gradually, but do not apply as much braking force as you would if the motorcycle were straight up. As you slow, you can reduce your lean angle, and as more traction becomes available for braking, you can more firmly apply the brakes, so that by the time the motorcycle is stopped, the motorcycle is straight up, and the handlebars are squared.
    Linked and Integrated Braking Systems
    Some motorcycles have linked braking which connects the front and rear brakes on the motorcycle and applies braking pressure to both brakes when either the front lever or rear pedal is applied. An integrated braking system is a variation of the linked system in which partial front braking is applied whenever the rear brake is activated. Consult your owner’s manual for a detailed explanation on the operation and effective use of these systems.
    Anti-Lock Braking Systems (ABS)
    ABS is designed to prevent wheel lock-up and avoid skids when stopping in straight-line, panic situations. ABS operates when maximum pressure on both the front and rear brake controls is applied. If electronic sensors detect the possibility of a wheel lock, brake hydraulic pressure, is released then reapplied to maintain maximum braking effectiveness. The system is capable of releasing and reapplying pressure more than 15 times per second.

16. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Oh dear I should have said: VFR1200 owners only. Thanks for the others' input but I don't own a previous generation.

I know how to brake, thanks.
    My point being it's a bit of a waste of front pads if you don't use the rear very often. A set of EBC HH pads will always have the small pads as well.
    And I don't always appreciate a bit of front brake in certain conditions. I hope that's self-explanatory?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  17. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

There is stuff going on in this thread that would make Keith Code shit his pants. Might I also suggest riding around in first gear more because it doesn't get used as much as the rest and thats a waste of a good gear.

18. lshark

lshark New Member

i learned to ride in the woods as a kid back in the '70's....braking is all instinct ...i don't know, i just do it....i do use the rear brake a lot in city traffic....but in a hard stop it's always both, mainly front.....i think...i'll have to start taking notice..:wink:..but my pad wear is pretty even, just did new EBC's also

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I guess that is a very common poor choice of words. Means the same as hard braking in emergency situations. Panic braking is quicker to type. Now that I have used up two hundred sixteen key strokes to explain.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  20. jugornot

jugornot New Member

United States
    Map
    Instinct is why I loved the v12. Don't worry slam them things in an estop. I won't ever own another bike without abs. I've had others and on occasion locked them up. Locking it up has a place on the dirt. They may be a hinderence in racing, but on the street they have real value where emergency stops are under-practiced. I'm a convert. Been riding 40 years and the brakes on the 12 convinced me. YMMV

Bill