You have to remove WHAT ? to take out the coolant reservoir

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Hailwood, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Hailwood

Hailwood New Member

Map
    Want to change out the Honda coolant on my 2010 to replace with Evans and perusal of the shop manual says to remove the swingarm to remove the coolant reservoir........seriously?
    I'm thinking Mighty Vac but would be thrilled to hear input from anyone who has changed out the coolant of the big Viffer.

2. lshark

lshark New Member

yeah, i used my brake bleeder

3. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    A larger 300cc+ syringe with hose works good too. Or turkey baster with 1/4" hose.

4. Hailwood

Hailwood New Member

Map
    I'm sure shop mechanics just suck out the coolant but damn, removing the entire ass- end of the machine to remove the coolant tank ?
    Hopefully I'll be able to clear all the coolant and then the Evans prep fluid from the overflow lines and tank before filling the system with Evans coolant as residual water is a no-no.
    Otherwise, love the bike and can't wait to ride the thing whenever possible. Puts a huge grin on my face each and every time.

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Nooo... The dealerships charge ya for pulling the swingarm off the bike according to the book and suck the coolant out with a bleeder at the same time they are sucking on your bank account.

We will now hear from all the dealership employed dudes here that will swear this never happens.

6. Hailwood

Hailwood New Member

Map
    ***cricket, cricket, cricket*****. I think you struck a nerve there Badbiily. My problem is that I just dont trust the kids they hire to work in these dealerships. I like things done with care and respect and I don't see that in the majority of dealers here in San Antonio.
    I think I'm just old fashioned and doomed to disappointment. I do all my own work on all my bikes but the VFR is a little intimidating due to the electronic controls. I mean, brakes, suspension, tires, cables, drivetrain I'm OK with but the computerized engine controls make me a little sweaty.
    Doesn't matter, this is a phenomenal, immensely competent bike that I love. In fact, I could shed the other bikes in my stable and keep only the VFR. This bike can do it all.
    I was just bitching about the idea of the shop manual actually stating that the swing arm has to be removed (and all that this entails) to remove the freaking coolant tank with a straight face.