Young Georgian Luger - R.I.P. !!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by kingsley, Feb 12, 2010.

1. kingsley

kingsley New Member

Canada
    Map
    A 21 year old Luge racer died after a wicked crash this morning at Whisler. The Opening Ceremonies are only a couple of hours away. Kinda puts a black cloud over a city that's busting at the seems right now, in anticipation of the games.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Luge News - 2010 Winter Olympics - CTV Olympics

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Tis really a shame. My condolences to the family. That's the real downside of any racing.

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    They showed the actual video on the news and the accident was quite horrific. They said he was going more than 80mph when he bounced off the wall and then his entire body flew out of the track smashing into a steel column. Quite a tragedy.

Rollin

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    There is a lot of excitement going on here in the Vancouver area right now, but I can assure you, there are a lot of heavy hearts to. There was some consideration by the Georgian team whether they were going to continue. I believe they have decided to still give it their best.

Athletes will push themselves for achievement. Olympians will push the limits for excellence. The Luge has inherent dangers with the sport. Every Luger knows this yet persists to try to meet the challenge. This is what Lugers seek. The excitement form the adrenalin rush they get. This is their life. This I assume was 21 year old Nodar Kumaritashvili's dream. Any one of us who has gone hot into a corner with our bikes understands this.

My thoughts go out to his team mates, the Georgian Olympians and people, but most of all, Nodar's family. No one can say he went out by just fading away. He died living his dream.
    [​IMG]

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I second that Randy. Yes wasn't that video something else. Was sure they wouldn't show it. What a way to kick off such a remarkable event. Major sadness.