Your newest newb

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Dangerous Dave, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave New Member

Howdy all, my name's Dave. I just picked up a "new" '10 VFR12 today after wadding my FJR1300 four days ago. I didn't get to ride it far today as it was FREAKING COLD (dash said 39*)! I guess getting it wired for my heated gear will have to be high on the priority list, although hopefully it won't be an issue much longer this season. But I did take the "scenic route" home from the dealership. Mostly impressed so far, although the mirrors are HORRIBLE for a bike of this caliber. The bike fits me like a glove (one of the main reasons I bought it), but I can't imagine how a tall guy could ride one. Power delivery is nice, as is the handling. I only experienced the second gear snatch once on the way home, but that was on a nearly 180* turn. I didn't flog it, but I did rap on it a couple times passing lines of cars...nice. I'm a serial farkler, so my to do list for this bike already looks long and expensive. I'd love to hear other owners oppinions on what you consider the "must-have" accessories for this bike. First thing I MUST have is a mount for this bike for my gascap mount tank bag. At least that way I can haul my lunch to work. I know my "want" list includes a fender extender for the front and hugger for the rear to save some stone damage. Some Givi side cases so it can do touring duty for me and the wife. A slip-on would be nice (stock muffler is WAY too quiet), but I'm sure a Power Commander would be an absolute necesity on this bike with a slip-on. That's alotta coin for both and will probably have to wait at least a little while. Frame sliders would be good I think. Does anybody know if there's a plain old backrest available out there besides the Corbin? Man, I hate top cases, but the wife is gonna want something back there I'm sure. Anybody??

Anyway, looking forward to gleaning lots of good info here about my newest toy.

D Dave

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Welcome Dave, a picture is required please.

3. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
  4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    +1 and welcome

5. Dangerous Dave

Obviously to keep the trolls at bay...gotcha covered.

I've got no shortage of those. Hell, I collect 'em! ;-}

That WAS useful, thanks! Bazazzz and Throttlemeister are already on my list. Tankslapper sounds like a must-have. Shock will have to wait a bit...trying now to sell the Penske I just pulled off my crashed FJR. Pity that the Traxxion Dynamics forks are going to the boneyard...they were expensive. I raced WERA for years, so yes, suspension is important to me. Here's the new kid in front of the old kid. The wretched remains of the FJR are at my shop, but I'll get some pics of it tomorrow.

IMAG0618.jpg

The old kid is a Derbi GPR125R 2-stroke. Take a good look, you're unlikely to ever see another. At about 285 lbs with a full tank of fuel (all 2.5 gallons of it), it is a HOOT on the Deal's Gap Tail of the Dragon. You can also almost see my Derbi GPR50R (with 75cc "Big-bore kit") behind the 125. That little 50 is hands-down the most fun motorcycle I've ever owned, and the VFR is the 25th bike I've owned in my life. Unfortunately, the 50 just became so unreliable I'm afraid to ride it anywhere anymore, but I just can't bear to part with it. I do love ring-dings. ;-} I've done a few 650+ mile days on both Derbis and won a couple trophies with them ( lakeerieloop : Lake Erie Loop IX ). I considered selling the 125 now that I got the VFR, but the wife has informed me that would be frowned upon heavily, so I guess it's staying.

Still hoping to hear that there's a backrest option out there besides Corbin. Pleeeeeaaase???

You can see pics of some of my favorite toys at DAVE'S GARAGE Don't miss the "Little red wagons" section.

D Dave

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  6. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Welcome D Dave, your garage is very cool, lotsa toys you dont see every day in there. Ummm.....you gotta update your FJR page with before and after photos

7. Dangerous Dave

Yeah, yeah...I hear ya. But thanks for the welcome. ;-}

BTW Rainman, that's an awesome avatar!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  8. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the asylum! ...great collection in that garage of yours!!! :)

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I thought that Penske was modular so you could send it in and have it adapted to new bike. I have one myself and had considered doing that myself if I ever buy a newer bike.

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Dude - you live in my backyard. Lets hookup.

11. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Holly.....mello dude is a live :) good seeing you pop in

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map

-------:potstir:------

13. Dangerous Dave

Hmmmm, never heard that before. The shock is tentatively sold, but that deal hasn't been finalized yet. The buyer is waiting for a shipping quote from me. I'm a man of my word, so I hate to cancel the deal on him. But this might be worth a call to Traxxion Dynamics to ask if you're right and what the cost would be for the re-do. If it's do-able for cheap, maybe I'll ask the dude if he has his heart set on my shock. Yet another piece of interesting info, and I've only been here two days. You fellers are O K! ;-}

Where you be?? Southwest Ohio is kinda broad.

14. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Hi - check your PM box :cool:

15. Dangerous Dave

Got it. Yeah, you're about ten minutes away, tops. You'll have to come over for a beer or three sometime.

16. Dangerous Dave

Called Traxxion Dynamics today and they verified what you said, but it ain't exactly cheap. I already have a firm offer from someone to buy the FJR shock for $500 + shipping. I'm better off to just sell it and buy a shock for the VFR outright. But I appreciate the tip.

And ZenMoto's dyno charts are just too painful to look at anymore, so I just ordered a Z-bomb. That graph is insane!

D Dave