your opinion on best helmet

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by hoblick, May 20, 2009.

1. hoblick

hoblick New Member

i have tried quite a few helmets and currently have
    KBC (dunno what it is)
    AGV(dont know the model number)
    Nolan N84
    Icon alliance SSR
    M2R stealth

those helmets.. although nice Nolan being probably the quietest and best built , KBC being the best flowing just arent suiting my needs.
    none are very stable at higher speeds (not that im doing 150 mph)
    none are super quite, and none really ventilate all that well. and to top it off most are particularly heavy.

so i was looking at the new bell star (getting a great deal on it)
    and the shoei x-eleven (also getting a steal on this)

also looked at a suomy spec 1r

i have decided to go with the Shoei x-eleven.. the helmet is top notch, the bell is a great helmet as well, but you just cant beat a shoei.

so far i think the x-11 is by far the nicest helmet on the market.. very light, comfortable, great features, ventillates very well, and wind noise is down from the other helmets i have.

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I guess you already make up your mind with Shoei :)
    There is a thread from Drewl rating which helmet is get more vote and the Shoei were on top. Search around for it (Some thing about Your lead)

4. hondajt

hondajt New Member

5. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    It all depends on the shape of your head. What is a great helmet for you is crappy for someone else. As long as it is approved by DOT or meets the European spec then it will protect your melon. I personally like Shark helmets.

Action

6. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I'd love to get the C3,I have had a C1 and currently have the C2, but WOW the price is sooooooooooooo outrageous.

7. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map

I think this is the link.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/polls/16789-your-lid.html

8. jay956

jay956 New Member

the best helmet is the one that fits you best.

9. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    You gotta try it on and wear it around the store until they tell you to take it off or buy it.

10. Spectre

Spectre New Member

My VFR is equipped with an Autocom Super Pro AVi kit, along with in-helmet headsets. I always wear 20 Db earplugs in conjunction with two full-faced helmets, those being the Shoei TZR and RF1000.

In my experience with these two Shoei helmets, the TZR is the most quiet, partly because it has only 2 air vents, one at the chin, the other at the forehead. It has no rear air vents, so air flow inside of the helmet is quite limited, and this is partly why it's more quiet. That said, the TZR's relative lack of airflow also makes it rather warm to wear during the hottest days of summer.

On the other hand, the Shoei RF1000 has 3 sets of air vents-- one at the chin, two at the forehead, and another two in the rear. When all of these vents are closed, the RF1000 is quiet, but as you would expect, the more you open its vents, the more wind noise you'll hear. I find that the RF1000 is a good choice when riding during the hottest of days, in which the increase in air flow is not much offset by any dramatic increase in wind noise.

I'v also owned the Shoei X-11 with an Autocom in-helmet headset, and it was about as quiet as the RF1000, but at least for my head shape, I found that the Large size was too small and it consistently gave me frontal headaches even after a season of use, while the XL size was too big and loose fitting. That said, if the X-11 fits your head well, its an excellent and quiet helmet.

I'll also mention that way back when, the first helmet I used that incorporated Autocom's in-helmet headset was the Nolan N-102, which is a modular, flip-face helmet. It was so noisy, even with the Autocom rig set to max volume, that I soon got rid of it in favor of the Shoei helmets mentioned above, which were rightly reputed to be most quiet.

Moreover, while I've found that all of these Shoei helmets fit a bit tightly to some extent, this is also partly why they're so quiet. On the other hand, when I recently wore my old, large-size Nolan N-102 helmet just for comparison with the Shoei's after a long hiatus, the Nolan was so noisy and loose fitting that I couldn't wait to take it off and get back to a Shoei full-face helmet.

Modular, flip-face helmets offer some conveniences, but by their very design they are more likely to leak air and to be much more noisy than well designed full-face helmets such as the Shoei's. At any rate, always wear earplugs if you value your hearing, regardless of the helmet you choose.

11. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    shoei.....................period.................. i have had at least 20 helments through my years dirt road etc .. shoei...............................................i have a suomy that cost 550 my shoei rf100 200 bucks was better .. i will sell you my suomy eagle paint job so i can get another shoei.. did i say shoei ok shoei...........:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

12. steven113

steven113 New Member

The only new helmet I have bought was a shoei rf 1000. I did this after a month of research and trying on different helmets for fit. After my purchase I couldnt be more pleased with my purchase. Quiet, well ventilated, light, almost no fluttering at speed looking in any direction, DOT/SNELL approved, and many paint styles to choose from at an affordable price ($270 and up). My budget allowed for me to spend $250 more than I did and I still chose the RF1000.

13. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    As several members have already suggested, try them on. Every manufacturer uses a different "head model", as far as I can tell. The only one that fits my noggin is KBC.

14. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    drewls plan

I am an Arai guy all the way......drug over from the dark side (shoei).....Drewls plan is a winner but I would like to throw in the winning twist.....pee in it.....they will give it to you ..........I will put money on it.:eek::thumbsup::crazy::biggrin:

15. ken98043

ken98043 New Member

I have a Shoei RF1000 which I really like and I also have the HJC FS-15 carbon fiber which is lighter but there is more wind noise. I wear the HJC more because I like the looks of the carbon fiber.

16. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

X2

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

17. joshbea6

joshbea6 New Member

United States
    Map
  18. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Very happy with my Caberg Justissimo GT Modular (flip-up). Great fit, quiet, excellent features, e.g., flip down sun shade, no D-ring to fuss with, neck shield (removable).

19. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    ARAI

.... has been doing it longer than anyone else, and their company philosophy and dedication to research and improvement can't be surpassed.

Quietness should not be a deciding factor since you should be wearing earplugs.

20. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, sounds like you all ready picked a winner, you wear what fits and what you like at the right price too.