yucky

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by tinkerinWstuff, Oct 28, 2009.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    a couple of yuckies actually :eek:

Nasty winter weather here today (1st yucky) so it was a good day to fire up the torpedo heater in the garage and mess with the bike.

I pulled the clutch reservoir cover off and found the nastiest crap ever (second yucky).

Picked up some fresh Dot3, cleaned the gray sediment out of the reservoir, drained the lines, and completely flushed and bled the system.

Tonight I'll flush the front and rear brake systems.

Sucks to be bored. My new tires should come in tomorrow so I also need to pull both wheels and pull the old rubber off. I'm hoping the honda dealer will give me a deal on throwing the new rubber on and balancing. I could throw them on myself but I'd assume they have a more high-tech way of balancing than I do and I don't like vibration!!

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    You can work on my bike if you are bore during the winter months :)
    Wait..........we don't have the crazy winter here in San Diego, We ride year round.
    You can still work on my bike if you want.

3. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Well, I'm from Minnesota and you don't ride year-round up there. But down here on the front range of Colorado you can still ride 11 months out of the year of you dress for it. Sometimes you just have to wait a couple days for the snow to melt and the temp to get back up in the 40's or 50's.

I have a full face helmet on my Christmas list. The open face helmet and goggles I've been using is going to make me deaf or frostbit pretty quick here.

4. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

cus-cus?

So you found "grey sediment" in the fluid of your clutch master? You say you had to 'clean it out'. Why didn't you flush it through the system? Too nasty to send it down to the S/C and through it? How did you get the sediment out? Did you leave some residual sediment in the reservoir and flush that along with the old fluid, through the slave? I don't know if you are aware of it but there are at least 2 other threads that have dealt with sediment in their M/C's. One of them (jazclrint) coined a term for it "cus-cus". Why use DOT 3? Why not DOT 4?

5. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    Yikes. make it a priority man!

6. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I'm pretty sure that thread talked about white cottage cheese looking stuff. This was more like a dark gray paste. I didn't want to pump the stuff thru the master so I used paper shop towels to soak up the fluid and wipe out the paste. Also used a little carb cleaner spray and soaked that up with towels as well. I used DOT 3 because the reservoir cover said I could and the NAPA brand DOT 3 was cheaper than the the Valvoline DOT3&4.

I'd like to but I just bought tires.

7. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    You could probably get away with DOT3 on your clutch but you probably wouldn't want to use it on your brakes- temps get too high on the brakes.

8. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I'm not worried about it. The manual and the reservoir say DOT3 or 4. No DOT5 allowed. I'm not racing and even when I'm riding in the mountains, I'm smart about how I use my brakes.

No matter what, clean DOT3 is a hell of a lot better and safer than the crap that was in there!

9. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

When I found cus-cus in my M/C and S/C

it had all turned to powder or the multicolored granular 'poopoo' that turned to dust when touched. I cleaned it out of the clutch system but found that the M/C had deep pits in the business end of the M/C. I have to assume that the aluminum cylinder had gone through some sort of chemical reaction and ended it ended up in the 'cus-cus' as a solid once the liquid was reduced to dust. This has to do with the fact that common brake fluid has a tendency to suck in moisture where and when ever it can. Getting water into the DOT 3/4fluid must promote the etching of the aluminum cylinder wall. I am trying to get someone to explain whats going on when water contaminated Brake fluid is left for too long a time in an aluminum reservoir/tank?

10. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Well the worst was the front fork fluid change this weekend. Man, I wish I would have had a video of the crap that drained out of there. If I didn't know better, I would have guessed that the bike lived below the floods in New Orleans. I bet I had 4-6oz of straight water come out of the left fork and then another 4oz or so of gray sludge.

The right fork had nasty gray sludge and smelled like rotten tires.

I flushed the forks with kerosene and actually had to use sandpaper to clean the surface rust off the recovery spring that came out of the left.

From a maintenance standpoint, everything on this bike has been cleaned, flushed, and replaced except for the bearings in the stearing and the swingarm - I'm just not that bored yet....

New drive chain comes in Tuesday.

11. TimRav

TimRav New Member

Nice job getting 'er cleaned up during downtime.

As for helmets, check out NewEnough.com. They usually have some terrific deals on leftover HJC full-face lids, including some for under $100. Here's a link to some closeouts there: Closeouts > All Types > HJC :: New Enough, LTD

12. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    post a picture of you wearing the open face and goggles

That would be a hoot to see