Zero Gravity Double Bubble or Sport Tour

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by NorcalBoy, Dec 8, 2007.

1. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

OK, all you Zero Gravity windscreen users - Which model do you prefer, the Double Bubble or the Sport Touring screen? I like the look of the DB but the increased height of the Sport touring screen looks attractive too. I like the idea of the additonal height on the ST model, but I was kinda leaning towards a colored screen and was wondering about visiblity, I'm a short f#$%^&r so that was a concern I had. Let me know your opinions!

2. SCraig

SCraig New Member

I have the smoked Sport Touring screen and like it very well. Takes every bit of 5 minutes to install. A good bit less wind blast at speed but it certainly doesn't eliminate it. I've never tried to look through it though, only over. Too old to be laying on the tank.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Did you re-use the stock hardware? Is it Well nuts or Nylon nuts and bolts????? I have Heli's so I was thinking higher is better, not only that but my best gal would probably appreciate it also...... Thanks for replying!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. bladrnr

bladrnr New Member

United States
    Map
    I like the sport tourer. I don't care for the double bubble.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Thanks BLADRNR, that makes 2 for the Sport Touring and 0 for the DB, this could end up being a runaway..........................Hey BLADRNR, I'm in Santa Rosa, too! Thanks for the comment.

6. benjammer

benjammer New Member

I'm getting the Sport Touring Screen as a Christmas present to myself! Got to be better than the stock windscreen.
    Like SCraig, I'm to old to be laying on the tank.

7. gwooly

gwooly New Member

I have the light smoke DB. Very easy install and looks great. I have leaned on tank at very high speed and DB is great aerodynamically. Visibility is good. I used to have a little problem with my helmet feeling like it wanted to fly right off my head at high speed - the DB took care of that problem.

8. SCraig

SCraig New Member

No well nuts, no hardware, no nothing to speak of. Look at the bottom of the screen on the inside. You will see a single screw on each side that attaches a small piece of plastic (now that I think back on it those may be well nuts, can't remember for sure). Remove them and the piece of molding. Pull the screen rearwards and it releases and comes off. There are four L-shaped tabs that secure it to the fairing, and the bolts just keep it from sliding backwards. To put the new one on just drop the tabs in the slots, push forward, replace the two bolts and pieces of molding. Absolute piece of cake to install.

9. brdbluz

brdbluz New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the Sport Touring screen as well. It works well for me.

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I had the DB and before that I had the GIVI sport touring. the givi was a better fit and better wind pro but looked like balls to me. the DB looked better but was thinner than stock or the givi and didn't quite fit as nice. I went back to stock now and don't mind the wind so much. I usually ride barely above the speed limit anyway so it's not a real big issue.

11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Thanks everybody for your input, it looks like the Sport Touring screen wins in a split decision. I'm going to go with the Sport Touring screen, in the Light Smoke color. I had been thinking that I might get a red screen..........but I'd have to see one in person before I went that route. I looked on the ZG website and the red looks just a bit too loud. Thanks SCraig for the explanation of the installation process, it sounds about as uncomplicated as it could be. I'll inspect after breakfast.

12. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Any time. You are certainly welcome to come look at mine, but I think it would be cheaper to just buy one!

I do have the "Light Smoke" and it is pretty dark. I think the "Dark Smoke" would be nearly black. I can take some pics of it if you want.

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yeah, seein' as your in Nashville I probably won't be coming to check out your screen anytime soon, LOL! I was actually wanting to see a red screen up close to determine if it really looked as loud as it does on the ZG website! I have a hunch the red might be a bit much, but I was wondering how it might look on my Pearl White machine......... Any opinion?

14. keet

keet New Member

Map
    ...............i too have been considering the ZG double bubble or the sport touring windshield...so thanks to you folks that commented on them....im leaning towards the ST at this point.....but im wondering just what the actual differences really are...can anyone define the differences a tad more?how much less wind protection with the DB?..im 5 ft 10........is there much issue with handling?...thanks again!!!

15. grinder

grinder New Member

I have that combination of Helibars and ST Screen. It works very well for me. I am 5'11". You get enough wind to take the load of the arms on the highway but it gives better protection that the standard screen. Changing the screen was so easy I don't really remember anything about it other than I remember thinking that it can't be this easy, what have I done wrong.

16. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I'm 5'7" short and I think the ST screen will work perfect even with my new Heli's!

17. vfr=>

vfr=> New Member

United States
    Map
    My bike currently has the Zero Gravity ST in light smoke. It looks great and offers a little more wind protection from stock. Installation was very easy and everything fits great. The windshield itself is much thinner than stock, but that did not create any porblems with installation. It does seem to be noticeably quieter than the stock screen. As for looking through, optical quality is good enough to see through clearly, but is something that I don't usually do. All in all, I think you made a good choice. I don't care for the colored screens.

18. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted, it really helped me make what, I think, is a good decision on my new screen. I ended up ordering a Zero Gravity, Light Smoke, Sport Touring Screen from Pipe City today. I don't know when I'll receive it, but I'll post the results of the install and first ride as soon as I get the screen attached. All of your suggestions, observations and opinions are much appreciated. :peace:

19. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

I have the DB and I had a ST it looked too much like a scooter windscreen for my taste. the DB is dfinitely better than stock but I think he ST is too much. I do like to tuck behind the screen at speed

20. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I just figured that if I ended up not liking the ST for everyday play riding, at $90.00 I could also get a DB and switch them out for what type of riding I was doing. I went with the ST first because I'm planning a little trip and wanted to have the max wind protection for that. I'll just have to wait and see if I'm going to buy a DB for everyday around town/short burns. :rolleyes: