Zero Gravity Wind Screens

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by michael, Jan 14, 2006.

1. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I've changed out my stock windscreen on my 2000 Interceptor and would like to recommend the folks at Zero Gravity Racing, should any of your other readers be contemplating doing the same. When I ordered my first "sport touring" replacement 4-5 months ago, it took a while because they were in the "tooling up" process, but once they were up and running, I received my windscreen (smoke colored) and it fit perfectly. Took me all of 10 minutes to change it out. The sport touring version is taller and has a little "flair" at the top, identical to the Ducati ST4's windscreen. Since they're so easy to change out, I've subsequently ordered their "Double Bubble" screen and will use it primarily, since I ride my VFR every day to commute back and forth to work, and it looks cool! I'll still use the sport touring screen, but only for that purpose (I took a 3000 mile trip this summer up through Colorado, Texas, New Mexico and back to Arizona) and it worked great, although I'm just the right height that it funneled every bug in the world onto my face shield (yuk!). At any rate, Zero Gravity produces a quality product and my experience with them was decidedly positive.

2. VIFFERMAN03

VIFFERMAN03 New Member

Map
    ZG Windscreen

I have the same screen on my '03 because I installed a set of HeliBars and needed the increased height. I notice the bugs when I go to bug country, but I'm not sure how much of difference the ZG is from stock in that regard. I think the stock screen and bars is about the same for me in wind resistance as the ZG and HeliBars.
    Vifferman

3. lear 31a

lear 31a New Member

United States
    Map
    How is the double bubble with regards to reducing wind/fatigue? I was considering it over the sport touring.

4. SCraig

SCraig New Member

My experience with ZG was very similar. I ordered my Sport Touring screen directly from them, and it shipped the day I ordered it. Had it in my hands about 3 days later. Simple installation, good service, good quality. What more can you ask?

5. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

I had heard the Zero Gravity Screens were thinner than stock and say the Puig Touring, which I have. Is that true?

6. SCraig

SCraig New Member

They are thinner than stock but I haven't had any problems from them being thinner. No vibrations, no distortion at speed, nothing that I've noticed.

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yes they are thinner, so they subsequently weigh less than the stock screen, which is an advantage. The quality is equal to any screen on the market and the optical quality of the ZG screens is said to be the best available. As for the structural strength aspect due to it being thinner, I can only use an example to explain the strength of these screens. ZG SR and DB screens are used by more professional AMA Supersport, Superstock and Superbike teams than any other screen, period. Now if it's good enough for Miguel Duhamel at over 190 mph on the banks of Daytona International Speedway, then they are way stronger than any screen I'll ever need.

8. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

So the fact that they are thinner doesn't affect the way the fit in the stock slot on the bike? I really like the looks of the double bubble I was just worried the fact that I heard they were thinner and I was concerned that would affect the fit. Sounds like I shouldn't worry about that.

9. lear 31a

lear 31a New Member

United States
    Map
    I guess I should ask, are there any improvement in wind protection or are they cosmetic? I am sold on the looks and ease of installation

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I have both the ST and the DB and they both fit perfectly. You can also swap them out in about 5 minutes to suit the type of riding you do. I've got a colored DB screen coming on Friday that I've waited a month for ZG to make so I could probably do photos of both screens when I install it to see how it looks, if that would help.

11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I definately noticed an aerodynamic difference with both the ST and DB screens. The ST was the most noticeable. It has a lot to do with your height as to whether or not you'll get what you're looking for. I'm only 5'7" so they both were a marked aerodynamic improvement for me. The cosmetic improvement was an added bonus too!

12. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Sure I'd like to see them if you could.

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I would be more than happy to post up pictures for you as soon as I install the screen Friday night. I will try to remember to take a shot of how it looks before I put the inner fairing trim pieces back on too. This should give you a better idea of what they look like. I can assure you that the thickness of the material is not an issue. Hope this will help you out some.

14. Puma Cat

Puma Cat New Member

I've had ZG Double Bubble windscreens on my F4i and VFR. In both cases, I've taken them off and gone back to the stock windscreens. I have experienced considerably more wind noise and turbulence resulting from the turbulent air spilling over the leading edge of the higher ZG DB windscreen and hitting me in the helmet. At 5' 9 1/2", I find that the stock windscreens are quieter, produce notably less turbulence, and provide a considerably more enjoyable riding experience.

I'd recommend riders do appropriate research; in my experience, Honda really did their homework on designing their stock windscreens. Actually, Honda pretty much really does their homework on everything. My overall long-term and hard won experiences with modifications on the whole is that, suspension improvements notwithstanding, I vastly prefer a box stock motorcycle.

I would have to say my experiences with Zero Gravity Double Bubble Windscreens have consistently been decidedly negative. YMMV, but caveat emptor.

15. lear 31a

lear 31a New Member

United States
    Map
    I would appreciate the photos. Thanks to all for your info, this is precisely the reason this sight is so useful.

16. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Hi lear,
    Youve asked questions about the DB ZG. I give you my 2 cents. Photos?
    Check pics in my gallery. Aerodynamics? It does bump up the airflow to hit me at about chin level. (I'm 5'11") The tradeoff is a bit more turbulence as puma says. I bet if I was a tic shorter it would drive me wacko. But when I ride I use good quality ear plugs so the extra turbulence doesnt bother me.
    Since the windscreens are ez to change out, I go back and forth between stock and the DB. For a longer trip the DB is a no brainer. Over time, I like it more and more. Also I once tryed a tourer windshield and couldnt stand the extra turbulence with the taller edge.

MD

17. lear 31a

lear 31a New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the feedback Mello. Sounds like it might be buffeting my helmet around (5'9"). I use earplugs on the long road to reduce fatigue and conserve the hearing. The changeability is very appealing I must say.

18. brianereed

brianereed New Member

I have had the sport touring screen on my '02 for the past year. I initially put it on so that I could have more room for my gps. I did not realize much of a difference in noise level until I picked up a new bike in October. I kept the vfr, but I am going to put the stock screen back on since I now know that the vfr causes a lot more wind noise than the other bike.

By the way... I also put a seargent seat on last year. After trying it for a year, I am thinking of selling it and putting the stock back on. I might just be a little hard on the aftermarket.

brian

19. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Personally I found things to be the other way around. Turbulence with the stock screen was pretty rough and is much better with the ZG sport touring screen. I still get some buffeting at speed, but it is very much less than with the stock screen. Noise I didn't pay any attention to. I expect motorcycles to be noisy so I don't even notice it.

20. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

OK, here are the pictures I promised. I like the ZG screens because they work better than the stock screen for me. Enough said. Take a look and decide for yourself, what works for one person will end being the exact opposite for another. I have come to this conclusion, if I think it is something I would like to try, I try it. If it doesn't work I try something else.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008