ZG double bubble question

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by chesthing, Oct 24, 2007.

1. chesthing

chesthing New Member

I know shields have been beat to death, but after doing searches I'm still not sure what to order - the DB or the SR. I'd like to have a little less wind on me, but at the same time I don't want the air lifting me up from the bars to be significantly reduced either. I use Helibars, it seems like the bike is alot more comfortable on the highway vs in town, I attribute that to the increased air pressure. Any experience with both shields in this regard?

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    The SR is like stock and you know what the DB is like - I actually flip back and forth, off and on. There is a bit more turbulence with the DB, but I make sure I have a good set of earplugs with me and its a non issue. Speed has a lot to do with it too. If I'm gonna hit triple digits I would rather have the DB.
    Then sometimes if I am going to be at a more leasurely pace the stock is the better choise, especially if its hot.

MD

3. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

I agree, depends on what your doing. I spend 95% of my riding on the freeway, and usually cruise at 80+. I have the DB on my bike now, and seems to be a more comfortable ride. Though it is a little warmer in the summer, due to the lack of air hitting me. I do notice that the DB directs the air into my helmet more than the chest, which can be rough at times in wind areas. But the DB has excellent coverage for riding in the rain. I've done anywhere from 20 minutes-3 hours in the rain, and I stay very dry. Good luck on your decision.

4. chesthing

chesthing New Member

Do you notice your wrists or arms working any harder with the DB vs the stock screen? do you notice any difference in neck strain w/ either shield? When you say turbulence, if you aren't wearing earplugs is the air significantly louder w/ the DB?

5. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

I don't notice any extra strain on my arms/wrists. The air noise around my helmet seems to be the same with either screen. But it all varies depending on rider size. I'm 5'7" and 150lbs. So not too tall and small frame, so the bike covers me quite well. But MD will have his own say...

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I had the DB but what I didn't like about it was the fit. It was a little thinner than stock and there seemed to be a little gap on both sides between the plastic and the shield.

7. nitronorth

nitronorth New Member

I found the db screwed it up for my lift with the "stock" bars,definitely put more weight on the arms.. Oto me the DB raised the wind 2-3 inchs, I found when I raised myself a couple inchs on my arms to replicate the helis it put me back into the same amount of wind as the stock setup,.so i would expect with the helis it should keep you about where you were with the lift when everything was stock. good luck....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  8. vfr2k2

vfr2k2 New Member

I looked at a lot of shields before deciding on one over which I had some control. This one has been great. I'm 63 and sometimes want to get out of the breeze altogether. But sometimes I forget just how old I am....... It's called the Vario.

Attached Files:

9. vfr2k2

vfr2k2 New Member

I should have mentioned that the upper part of the shield is adjustable from flat to various positions.

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I guess I can say that there is no difference between windshields as far as pressure on the wrists - but I'm one of those weirdos that put lower bars on the bike anyway, I ride with my legs and abs, wrist pressure is secondary.

As far as earplugs - thats another thing of mine, I allways ride with ear plugs, no matter what. I find I can consentrate more and over time I am less fatiqued from the ride.

For you I really couldnt say what would be best. BTW Reg is right the DB doesnt fit as well as stock. Yeah that bugs me, but I'll take the functionality of it for the ride when needed.

MD