1987 VFR or 1993 Nighthawk?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by masdrobeda, Jun 16, 2017.

?

What bike to get ?

1. 1987 Honda VFR

100.0%
  2. 1993 Honda Nighthawk 750

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. masdrobeda

masdrobeda New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello folks,

I had a 07 VFR800 which I trully miss. After that I got a KTM SuperDuke and then a Yamaha FJ 09. I just sold the FJ 09 due to budgetary reasons as well as I realized I am more of a sport's rider than highway cruising type of a rider.

So now I have $1500 to spend on a bike. I am between a 1987 VFR and 1993 Nighhawk 750 and I am not sure which one to get.

They asking price is the same. They both in good condition. What do you guys think ? I will be using the bike for some relax rides but also some fast back road riding. I just need a bike for now until I save money to go buy another one (witthin a year or two).

Another question, the 1987 VFR is it 700cc or 750cc? I am from USA.

Any known issues with any of the two ?

Let me know folks.

2. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    I've highlighted some points to support the 1987 VFR. It was arguably the purest VFR for the masses - lightest, most power, best handling (until then). The Nighthawk is a cruiser - a standard at best, not the canyon carver the VFR is. You miss your VFR800. There is no measurable performance difference between the 700 and 750.

Cheers,
    Glenn

3. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Nighthawk is a cool Honda but I agree with slovcan and voted for the VFR - plus this is VFR forum and I might get excommunicated for not voting for the VFR :Lol:

As for whether it's a 700 or 750, since you are in the USA and the bike is an '87 model my understanding is that they only imported the so-called "tariff beater" 700 models that year, whereas in '86 you could get either a 700 or 750 in the USA. It's kind of confusing so hopefully one of the experts will chime in. See this thread on the other forum for more info:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/76545-question-regarding-86-87-vfrs…/

4. ddlock7416

ddlock7416 New Member

United States
    They made a vf 700f and a vfr750 that year.. I'm thinking anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Partzilla only shows the 700 for 87. In reality, not much real-world performance difference between the 700 and 750 (I owned both), unless you are drag racing or doing top-speed runs. The Nighthawk as stated is a different beastie, shaft drive, air cooled, introduced in 85 I think. Here in the rest of the world we got a chain drive version (the CBX750), which was actually manufactured by Big H as a stop-gap between the VF750 and the not yet released VFR. Actually a really good bike, pretty fast and good handling. Maintenance free self-adjusting valves, but at this distance/age probably starting to have noisy cam or alternator drive chain issues.

OK I've convinced myself, VFR all the way. Much more reliable, same performance, better handling and comfort.

6. masdrobeda

masdrobeda New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you kindly. I am leaning more towards a newer gen of the VFR now since I got some more money to spend. But now I added the CBR f4i vs VFR lol

7. masdrobeda

masdrobeda New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you it was really helpful. I am probably end up getting the VFR again. But now I have a little bit more money and I moved to 3rd/4th/5th gen. But I am also considering CBR F4i. Again I am not sure which one lol.

8. masdrobeda

masdrobeda New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for your input

9. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    F4i vs Gen 5 VFR. That's a tough one.

If you're young, lean, and flexible, take the 600. Be prepared for No leg room. I sold my '07 600 RR, and got a 599.

The VFR is an ox by comparison. BUT the VFR is so planted, and stable that it can be slung thur the curves with all but the very best of em. I wear 34" inseam Levis. I eould have to have the VFR.