1991 VFR750FL

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Strangwooduk, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Strangwooduk

Strangwooduk New Member

Hello folks
    I'm new to the Honda vfr scene
    Just bought myself a 750 for a whopping price of £125
    It's been sat for 4 years outside
    The exhaust studs have turned to exhaust spikes so nothing left there and I'm guessing they are probably stuck
    Any advice on an easy way out for them ?
    Also anything I should be doing before I try to run it ?
    Obviously going to drain the fuel from the tank but is there anything else ?
    Also I've seen the restrictor kits about but not anymore.
    Can these bikes be used on an A2 license or not ?

Thanks again !

Attached Files:

michael likes this.
  2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Definitely drain the tank and check for rust, if there is rust present, search the forum here for rust removal or check YouTube. There are plenty of videos on how to remove rust as well as how to recondition the gas tank. I'd also remove the carbs, these will most likely be clogged and need a thorough cleaning. While you're at it, inspect the rubber boots there, those could be all dried up and cracking. I believe the carbs should come out as a whole assembly, if so, leave them that way, do not separate them. If you have any carb questions or perhaps want to send them out for cleaning, fellow member Squirrelman is a carb guru.

A few other things I would do, flush/fill all of the fluids. This goes for oil, coolant, clutch and brake fluids as well. Most likely, the latter two will have congealed, this will make cleaning a little bit more work but it will be necessary for proper operation. Ditch the chain, sprocket and tires in favor of new ones, after 4 years, the tires are surely gone and the chain is probably a bit rusted as well. Of course the air filter will need to be cleaned (if it's a reusable one) or replaced. You might even find a few critter nest in the air box, as mice and other small animals tend to make these a nesting spot.

As for the exhaust studs, there are more than a few ways to get those lose and removed. Usually requires soaking the stud/nuts with PB blaster (or equivalent) and may even need some direct heat on them to loosen them up. Again, YouTube is a good resource for stuff like this. Check out Delboy's Garage (moonfleet41) YouTube channel, he is a great resource of information and quite often has great tricks for the "shade tree" mechanic.

Here's the rub with your year bike, body panels are very hard to come by, at least OEM, so be careful when removing any body work. My guess is that the plastic might be a bit brittle if is was sitting under the sky uncovered. Before venturing into a tear down, check what parts and pieces you might need with an OEM parts supplier and see if they are still available. If not check for aftermarket parts. This is more towards the carb rebuild kits and other rubber bits but could apply to other areas of the bike as well.

Although you got the bike for a great price, getting it back up to spec might cost a bit more than you think, parts start to add up quickly! The sum of the parts will usually end up being more than the value of the bike, particularly when you got it so cheap! So if you don't have the funds, think about whether you want to go down the restore road before you begin. If all else fails, that 8 spoke rear wheel could net you some decent cash if you decide to part out the bike. The body panels too, especially if they're in decent shape.

As you progress, if you decide to go down that road, post up questions in the 3rd Gen forum (1990-1993) with whatever question you have. You might want to start a rebuild thread and just post question in there when you have them.

Regarding the "restrictor kits" and A2 license, not sure about either of those questions maybe someone who lives on your side of the pond can chime in. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and congrats, the 3rd gen white bikes are some of the best looking VFRs around!