1st gen crank woes and solutions...?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Spriggan, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Spriggan

Spriggan New Member

United States
    hello everyone,

recently acquired a 83 vf750f with a bent rod and slammed piston, the crank bit into the piston.
    I'm looking to rebuild it and have no mechanical difficulties with this bike in terms of disassemble or reassembly.

I am wondering what were the specific problems with this engine's crank, I know about the cams, and if opening up the oil passages in the rods, bearings, and crank would be a solution. Sticking to the looser side of tolerances on installation as well.

I know of and can perform the 1000cc engine swap but am also wondering about a direct swap from a newer 750cc+ motor.

any help would be appreciated

2. Spriggan

Spriggan New Member

United States
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Engine will fit in frame but needs to lowered a bit to clear rear valve covers, but 750 exhaust system will not mate up and the airbox from the 750 must be used to fit under tank. Better to part out the 83 and find your self a real 1000.

In all my years of owning my 83, I have not heard anything about the cranks, cam problems were due to so call "advance machining" of cam journals since they were not line bored like other bikes. Problems arose from not precisely matching parts, not from lack of oil. True HRC engines had better oiling systems, but they were race engines.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017