2010 VFR800 and short rider options

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Kegsy, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Kegsy

Kegsy New Member

Good morning everyone.

New to the VFR forum and looking to purchase a VFR800, but after trying it for size in a local dealers i have concerns about the seat height!

Being 5ft 6, and short in the leg i was able to touch the floor both sides, just!, but the dealer suggested either getting the seat sculpted to reduce the width and thereby allow me an extra inch or so, or maybe getting the bike lowered, however he did have some concerns with the lowering option as he feels this will really affect the handling.

So my question to you all is, would you recommend just sculpting the seat, or is the handling really going to be affected that much with the lowering kit?

As this is my first real bike after passing my test, and i will be planning on a bit of touring round Europe with the missus as pillion, i need to ensure i am completely comfortable on the bike.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    I would not lower the bike if at all possible. Find someone who does custom seats and have them narrow and lower it for you. I went riding with someone who was around 5'5" if I recall and he had the seat cut way down. I almost 5'8" and I had a slight bend in my knees when sitting on his bike.

3. Greycat

Greycat New Member

I am about the same size as you are, at 5' 7" and short legs (28-9" inseam). Not being able to touch the ground is very uncomfotable even for a seasoned rider and can be down right scarry for a beginner. I had my seat shaved down 3/4" in height and as narrow as the stock seat pan allowed and was able to lean and flat foot one side or the other. But that is not ideal if you ride pillion. I installed the Sigma Cycle lowering kit which lowered the bike 1.3" and now I can put both feet flat on the ground(with riding boots on). It's been around 2k miles since I lowered it and I really don't notice any difference in handling and ride whatsoever. One thing I should mention is that I an not a knee dragger. I like to ride fast but I don't push the bike to the edge of its limits. With that said, I have never touched any hard parts on pavement or grounding over speed bumps even two up.
    If you do decide to lower the bike do not buy the turnbuckle adjustable type universal link, I have seem examples of these in catastrophic failure, VFR is heavy especially you ride two up. Good idea to have a shortened side stand. Don't forget to lower the triple tree on the forks same amount as the rear. When you lower the tripple tree you can put in handlebar risers. this will help relieve pressure on your wrists.

4. Kegsy

Kegsy New Member

Thank you both very much for your replies, i have been in touch with a local upholster who deals with motorcycle seats, who ensures me he can shave about an inch of the seat by sculpting the width of it. Thanks again guys

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

If you do have to resort to lowering the bike physically, then as Greycat said, don't get the turnbuckle type. 'Recalcitrance', a forum member, had her turnbuckle break on her while riding home! She came out OK, but it could have turned out a lot worse. Also, as Greycat said, as long as you lower the front to keep the rake/trail the same, it shouldn't affect your handling.

My dad had to lower his Magna due to his 5'2" height and after we lowered both ends of the bike the handling was fine. Although it isn't a sport bike like the VFR, you could lean it over pretty far before it started to scrape the pipes, even in its lowered condition. The VFR shouldn't have a problem unless your really leaning it over.