4th Gen Charging Issues after R/R replacement - help!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Viffer66, May 7, 2011.

1. Viffer66

Viffer66 New Member

I upgraded to VFRness last year with stock R/R. All was fine until ride last month. Bike kept stalling at lights and on ride home speedo needle was jumping all over the place - R/R was VERY hot so, I ordered the new Honda oem w/ fins and all seemed fine.
    I keep on trickle charger but bike would not start yesterday. Thought charger might not be working so I bump started it and rode to work. NEutral light still flickering at idle after 20 mi ride so I knew I still had an issue. On ride home, speedo was bouncing a little, too.
    Can someone please direct me to the trouble shooting step by step that I thought I found on here or please offer suggestions as what to check - stator, etc. I have a multimeter but am not very experienced with it - specific instructions appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    There are at least 2 ground connections you need to check/clean: where large black negative wire from battery attaches to chassis and where wiring harness grounds to frame.

Remove attaching bolt, use rough sandpaper to clean contact areas.

also, consider tapping into a green wire on the R/R and connecting that directly to negative battery post.

3. Viffer66

Viffer66 New Member

They looked good but I scuffed them up and reinstalled. No change.

While connected to the charger, it clicks rapidly while trying to start. Off the charger, does nothing - lights are dim. With a jump from the car, cranks right over and starts easily. Battery voltage is ^13.5 with motor off or on with little difference at 5k rpms.

Any other thoughts appreciated.