91 clutch noise

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by speedy, Feb 16, 2004.

1. speedy

speedy New Member

I just got myself a 91 750 (not the rc) to use for work but the problem is there is a loud tapping noise from the clutch when the bike is cold.It goes away if you pull the clutch in;just hoping some of you mite know the answer for the honda dealers over here wont tell you anything

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I suggest you get a book from clymer or if you have msn i can send you the vfr 750 strip down for your bike for free. jsut add me to you msn list my email is rusholle@hotmail.com

Drain the oil form the engine first.

....then if you got the tools ..... around the clutch cover are many bolts. remove these bolts and remember there are two bolts that are longer than the rest and they go into dowels....

don't loose these dowels or screws and pull the cover off...Buy a new gasket also...the gasket is is called a clutch cover gasket at your local honda motorcycle store....see if anyhting is broken...... then if you want to while your clutch is already exposed buy a set of new friction plates and steel plates....and springs and bolts also. barett is pretty good and they hold pretty firm which means a rough ride and a very jerky one too....i went with EBC...pretty cheap and reasonable....

throw those new clutches in and remember when you put the clutches in there is one clutch friction plate that is smaller than the rest and that goes in first then a steel plate then another friction plate and a steel plate and so on and so forth.

if you need any help i will be online on msn most of the time

rusholle@hotmail.com

3. Guest

Guest Guest

good job.opened it up and found wear on the dowels so i think the springs where well in need of replacing.but got the parts ordered and it will soon be back together.thanks