And so it begins...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by OOTV, Feb 26, 2017.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So my current project has me pretty busy so I really don't have much time during the week and since I like riding on the weekends, I have been riding instead of making progress on the rebuild. This weekend Saturday was time for the wife and on Sunday I had to put some time in for work but fortunately it wasn't all day, mostly the morning and early afternoon, so after I did my work, I went to the garage to see what else I would like to do on the 01. Well, I thought about it and decided to do what I just had done with my 6 Gen and that is have the injectors cleaned.

If you didn't see the post I made in the 'What did you do with your VFR today?' thread, essentially I bought some used injectors for my 6 Gen and had them cleaned and then swapped them out for the original injectors. Well that proved to be a very big improvement and when I told fellow member OC_Landspeeder (a frequent riding partner) he decided he would like to do the same thing. So I took the original injectors from my 6 Gen and had them cleaned too, as he'll swap out his injectors for my injectors. When I got those back essentially only 1 of the 4 was in "good" condition, so I figured let's do the the 5 Gen while it's still in "limbo".

So after I did my work this morning I went to the garage and had at getting the injectors out. Wow! What a PITA, the 6 Gen was so much easier but thankfully I had the Honda Service Manual and it made what looked like a more daunting task, easier to understand. That doesn't mean it was simple, just made what had to be done more clear. I have a feeling Honda didn't really think too many people would be trying to get the air box and throttle bodies off as getting to all the hoses and connectors was a difficult at best task.

Well, perseverance and the fact that I really wanted to get this done, I was able to do the task within a couple of hours, give or take a few minutes for dilly dallying. I made sure I took pics of certain hoses and the way certain items were connected so that in a few days (maybe another weekend in the middle) I'll be able to get everything back in order.

Here's a few pics of what it looks like under the "hood".

This is the wax unit and the two hoses that connect it to the cooling system.
    [​IMG]

The fuel rails and throttle bodies after I got the injectors out.
    [​IMG]

I put a few items back so I had less to remember where everything went.
    [​IMG]

Viola! The injectors post removal of course.
    [​IMG]

Samuel likes this.
  2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Very interested to hear how they turn out. This has me thinking I just might give this a go too this winter. Hmm, not surprising but, so it's a PITA huh .. figures.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yep, just getting all of the little hoses and connectors off the airbox was enough to frustrate me. The part that you would not have to deal with is the Wax unit, as the 98-99 models do not have one but rather a choke cable. Still a bit more work than the 6 Gen. I'm hoping it'll be wor it. Not sure if you saw the report on my original 6 Gen injectors? Only one was in good condition!

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, I read that, and that got me wondering what's mine. It's running good and all, still if there's room to make it even better, I'm all about that happening.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So I dropped the injectors off on Monday morning and they were ready by about 2:30p-3:00p later that day, I couldn't break away from my project so I picked them up this morning. Similar to my 6 gen results but the 5 gen were even more out of whack! What's really interesting is that the 5 gen has been the better MPG bike between the two. I'm going to say that it's probably due to not getting enough fuel out of two of the injectors! :Heh:

[​IMG]

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Wow, 1 &4 were really bad.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I know and I don't recall having any fueling issues with it the last time I rode it. Sitting for a couple of months shouldn't really make that much of a difference, unless there's a good amount of shellac in the gasoline! :Laugh: Just glad I had it done, sucks that my work project has me so tied up that I won't be making much progress for a while. Really aching to get this bike back on the road!

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Next injector cleaning make it 2 tanks of Rec 90 and lots of 10k rpm ass hauling. Cheaper and a lot more fun. lol

OOTV likes this.
  9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So I got my work project just about complete barring a few minor adjustments that need to happen, so I took a break yesterday and part of today (Sat/Sun) and got some more work done on the 01.

First task was to get the newly cleaned injectors installed an sync the starter valves. So that's what I did on Saturday.

[​IMG]

Looks messy I know but it actually went back together pretty well and not a lot of cursing.

[​IMG]

While I was at it, I took the time to remove the PAIR valve system. I was able to get block off plates from MelloDude, Thanks MD! BTW, excellent kit, if I do say so myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I took off any vacuum hoses to do the SV sync, I made sure I identified which hose went to which SV. I used some "whiteout" to differentiate between 1 & 2, and 3&4. I didn't need to ID all 4 as the 1&2 are on the same side and 3&4 are on the opposite side.

[​IMG]

Well it was pretty much uneventful and I was done relatively quick. I of course started it up and made sure no leaks or other items were not put back in the proper place.

duccmann likes this.
  10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Here's what she looks and sounds like today.

Samuel likes this.
  11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Yabdaba dooooooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well I am experimenting with a new camera mounting position and hopefully will get it road tested this week. Although this is just a preliminary run, as I need to do some more testing and get the new camera ordered. Technically it should be the same camera lens and mount but not 100% sure at the moment. This was hastily done just so I could get it ready for a test run this Wednesday-Thursday. That'll be a report with its own thread.

Anyway, I cut a hole in the front fairing so I could access the camera mount in case I need to adjust it and to help protect it I cut a small piece of plexiglass to put over the hole. I used Velcro to secure it. Most likely I'll be using the same mounting method but may alter the hole and mounting setup. This will need to wait until I get the new camera.

I sanded the back side of the faring to give the silicon something to adhere to and I used a C-clamp to hold it in place while it dried.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the lighting and nature of what's behind the cutout, you can barely make out the camera is there.
    [​IMG]

Here's what the camera and mount look like behind the scenes.
    [​IMG]

And from the front with the plexiglass cover. I had to use a heat gun to get put a little curve to the plexiglass so it would fit better and stay put.
    [​IMG]

13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    That is so cool D, I want one
    Great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk