another VF750 cam question

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by ontheway, Jul 5, 2017.

1. ontheway

ontheway New Member

Canada
    Hello all, I have an '84 VF750 that I bought as a non- runner. I've got the engine running but when I was checking valve clearance I found damage to the end of the exhaust cam on the #2 cylinder. ( Valve clearances were all pretty close ) The lobes of cams seem fine, some scratch marks but no pitting. I did a search but could not find anything like what I 'm seeing here. Also note in picture discolouration in area around damaged cam. Any ideas as to what would cause this appreciated. Can the end of the cam and/or the holder be repaired ? Thanks in advance for help. I am off to work shortly so may not reply to questions immediately. cam end VF750 2.jpg front valve train VF750 2.jpg

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    According to my book on the history of V4s, most of the cam problems were due to the way the engines were machined in production. Cam journals were not line bored, as evidenced by the lack of half moons at the end of the cams. Instead Honda relied on a new process that machined the journals to spec (and not matched) rather than individually in each engine. The results were hit and miss, some engines never had problems others had all kinds. Yours could be from poor tolerances or also be from drastic lack of oil to that one journal. I believe the discoloration is from the crankcase breather, if you check the air box you will find they line up.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  3. ontheway

ontheway New Member

Canada
    Thanks Allyance, I have a 2nd parts bike that i am going to look at to see what I have, also a non-runner, an '83. Maybe get parts from there or see if it runs. All together there are 3 interceptors sitting here and I'm hoping to end up with at least one finely tuned machine, maybe two. Sometimes these things work out, sometimes not. Never thought of the crankcase breather, if the discolouring is from the breather I shouldn't be concerned. Is that correct ? Appreciate your input.

4. ontheway

ontheway New Member

Canada
    Also, a couple of questions about the site. I I were to start a build thread would this be it ? Or where ? And suggestions for downloading pictures. I used a sight called shrinkpictures.com, pretty straight forward but process a little slow, especially for more then one picture.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    looks like oil staRVATION, too many revvvvs just after starting.

6. ontheway

ontheway New Member

Canada
    Thanks squirrelman, I did have engine running and there seemed to be lots of oil in and around top end but I can see high revs without giving oil a chance to circulate would not be good. This will be a slow project but will look for replacement cam.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    You bought into one of honda's biggest mistakes, so forget it and move on. :Cry:

the cam holder is alot more damaged than the cam itself, being much softer. on that year VF, you can't simply replace the cam holder and cam !! that head is ruined, too much clearance and won't hold oil pressure and can't be used.
    find a decent '86/'87 VFR 700 and get rid of those junk VFs. :Ban:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  8. ontheway

ontheway New Member

Canada
    Hi squirrelman, can't walk away from this project yet. I know your thoughts and feelings on the VF's but I'm going to pursue this further. Appreciate your input.