Anyone cross-shop: VFR 800/1200 vs. Ninja 1000?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by svtkarma, Aug 27, 2017.

1. svtkarma

svtkarma New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello. Did anyone test or consider the Ninja 1000 as alternative to the 6th-8th Gen VFR 800 or the VFR1200? Would love to hear some comments, pro or con, Ninja vs. VFR or direct comparisons. Thanks.

2. Getn off

Getn off New Member

United States
    Map
    I researched them both as many reviews compared the 2. I was intrigued. Boiled down to, I really loved my old '06 vfr, not crazy about the Kawi looks, and price. I paid $5397 with no fees. kawi wasn't even close. Now, msrp vs msrp? May have been a diff story.
    Troy

3. Viffer J

Viffer J New Member

United States
    I almost bought the Ninja 1000, I decided on the 8th gen Viffer because the insurance was 1/3 the cost, and I'm 47 with a clean driving record, I was glad I checked the insurance before buying the Ninja. Both great bikes at awesome prices right now for new leftover models, can't go wrong with either IMO, but I was quite surprised at the Ninja insurance cost.

4. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I looked at the Ninja 1000 but as soon as I saw a Pearl White 8th gen I knew I had to have it - it was love at first sight! The Ninja has more power (as it should with over 200 extra cc) and looks more aggressive with its fat 190 rear tire and dual exhaust. But after you see the LED headlights on the 8th gen it makes any bike without them seem rather primitive and outdated IMO. The seating position is more upright on the Ninja - I prefer the more leaned over feel of the VFR but you could always buy the optional Honda bar risers or the even bigger ones that moto pumps sells if you want to sit more upright.

The Ninja is a good bike but it's missing many of the nice little features that the VFR has such as a center stand, heated grips, gear indicator, self-cancelling turn signals, and optional quick-shifter. But the bag design of the Ninja looks superior to that of the VFR's.

Here's some good comparison vids of the two in case you haven't seen them:

5. svtkarma

svtkarma New Member

United States
    Map
    Everyone, thanks very much for the comments and replies. All good points for the VFR, and I love VFR's. I was just about to pull the trigger on a new VFR800, and I came across dealers with deeply discounted Ninja 1000's, . . . so I searched for answers as to how the bikes compare. Probably the two most commonly-stated negatives to the Ninja are poor rear tire grip with the 190's, and buzziness at 50+mph. The most common "plus" attributes of the Ninja, versus the VFR800, seem to be the more erect seating geometry and more power. And the VFR leads in many other categories, such as perceived quality, the LED lights, and as summed up by the post above, "The Ninja is a good bike but it's missing many of the nice little features that the VFR has such as a center stand, heated grips, gear indicator, self-cancelling turn signals, and optional quick-shifter. But the bag design of the Ninja looks superior to that of the VFR's." It's a tough call. I want to go 500 mile days, and either bike will deliver the distance superbly.

6. Audible

Audible New Member

Australia
    Map
    I compared the Ninja thou to both VFR's as well as the GSX-F1000, F800gt and the ZX-14r.

I found the VFR handled, looked & sounded better than the ninja as well as having better luggage options (can take top box and panniers at the same time), better dash and better seat for pillion and rider. Add to that the cheaper price and the colours. Either red or White where better imho than the Ninja's.

Ultimately for myself, I went for the VFR over the Ninja because of the character of the VFR. The sound the VFR when your riding it. V4/vtec just ozzes charisma. Plus, the VFR is a real beauty on the eyes for me.

TBH, in my line up, the Ninja thou was actually third place. Second went to it's bigger brother, the ZX-14R. Insurance for myself wasn't that much more, $750 v $1,100 aus.
    The 14 was in some ways, a bigger version of the VFR. Fitted with risers, it can take luggage, has a comfy pillion, looks great as well and surprisingly easy to corner & chuck around, despite it's 267kg girth.
    The VFR is lots of fun in the corners where as the 14 would be lots of fun in a straight line. I guess that is why the VFR is parked in my driveway.
    You can enjoy the power of the 14 for a few seconds at a time where as corners can be enjoyed all day long.