Anyone with the 8th generation know why Honda did not put out a 1000 instead of the 800?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Bubba Utah, Jul 5, 2016.

1. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    I recently switched to a LiFe battery, and even the 5 pounds that saved is noticeable in the corners. If I had more money to burn, I'd drop some cash on expensive weight savers in a heartbeat (i.e. magnesium wheels). If you could shave 30 or 40 pounds off a 6th gen (and keep in mind after battery and slip ons you've already dropped 15), while keeping it comfortable, you'd have a magical bike.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ Yep I've been thinking of tinkering with a ti sub frame, I know one in Boeings recycle metals division :) Yes I'm definitively using one of those batteries when this one goes the way side.

3. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I'm at 460 pounds with a gallon in the tank. It's not too hard. I haven't even gotten in to the hard stuff yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I know that the Euro versions have a VFR badge and not Interceptor like on the U.S. versions

5. fatbastard

fatbastard New Member

United States
    Map
    Getting 30 lbs off my VFR is a simple matter of diet :(

6. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Having spent the past 10 days covering a chunk of Europe with guys on 1000cc+ bikes, it turns out that basically this torque grunt things turns out to be lazyiness IMO.
    For a start these were all wiggly roads, and they were just popping it in a convenient gear & using the engine torque to ride the corners, throttle on way out & throttle off on the way in, very little requirement to brake. they made good speed, but have to carry the bulk of their larger machines everywhere.

Honda listened to all the "Tourers" that said they wanted a bigger engine & made the 1200, the fact that its one of the ugliest bikes ever made IMO, seems to be a common complaint, even though those who have ridden it say its a great machine. We had one on the tour, but stripped to a street fighter look. So Honda sold a few & all those people who demanded a larger touring oriented bike bought BMW's instead !

So Honda reinvented the 5th gen as the (mis-named) 8th gen & already the same noise is coming about a bigger engine, yadda yadda yadda. The 800 will out perform the VF1000, so why the noise, lazy left hand & foot syndrome apparently. The VFR800 is "THE" sport tourer, so needs to be able to fulfill both options, hence you need to use the gearbox for sport, but mine will happilly pull top from 3k/rpm to the red line, if I'm feeling lazy.

So please just go buy a 1000cc+ bike if you need a 1000cc+ bike & stop trying to convert a middle weight into a heavy weight. Honda could reduce the weight of the current bike, but they decided not to, although its lighter than the 6th gen, its the same weight as a stock 5th gen. mines now 32Kg lighter & + 25HP, so a far more sporty ride :)

7. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Great stuff Mohawk! I know people may fall on one side or other of the argument, but we can all realize that "more power" has no end game. No matter how fast and powerful, people always want more. So that is one advantage point for the manufacturer who receives a perpetual, perhaps unfair criticism about power.

Some of the VFR naked bikes are spectacular looking! Takes a lot of effort though, whew!

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    That's why God or some old Chinese guy invented transmissions IMO.

9. Badbilly

United States
    Got a pic of that 1200 naked? Lots of pix of 500s, 750s and 800s on Google but zip on the 1200.

An example of your example without going bonkers with the weight/HP thing would both types of mildly tuned boxers.

I suppose ol Knight will have to tell us that BMWs are shit too.. ;)

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep I can totally agree, nothing better than being in the zone, listening and feeling the machine work it's magic, then shifting through the gears,, pure heaven in it's own way, only a few will understand. Makes me wonder why Honda has a DCT? not really. i smh.

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Bore and stroke the 800 to 1000, get rid of the linked brakes and vtec,bring back gear driven, add lighter wheels and a decent suspension with the front mounted radiator and now you have something really cool. I hear what your saying about changing gears MoHawk but more grunt is always a good thing.

Glenngt750 likes this.
  12. Badbilly

United States
    Honda made some 750 inline fours with auto trannys in the mid 70s. Typical Honda fitment. The trannys were as I recall two speed. Rode one once a long time ago. Hard on brakes. When ya backed off the bike freewheeled.

Maybe the dudes who are all in for auto trannys on bikes maybe never learned to drive a car with a stickshift..

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Too funny, I too tried one of those Honda automatics out, had the biggest laugh back then. Totally transformed the bike into something meaning less. yea the back off the throttle was a unique feeling. I'll try any thing once, maybe twice just for the fun of it. Now a days with the super cars having dct tech, paddle shifters and the like with super computers doing the guess work it's just a matter of time before this tech is here all the time. it's all ready knocking on the door.

14. Badbilly

United States
    The irony is that those Hondamatics are probably collectable and worth more now than they cost in the first place.. Being an old iron buff, check oot the shift mechanism on a 1937 Cord. Auto trannys are great on cars of any type IMO.. Bikes.. Nope? Call me shiftless..;)

15. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    The truthful answer is that nobody knows but a few Honda employees. By far, most VFR owners can't use all of the HP of the current 800cc engine. As someone else said, it would involve engineering an entire new bike which, any way you look at it, is very costly. With the same V4 type engine configuration, it would be an even heavier bike, so what good would have been accomplished? Anyone that learns to use ALL the HP on an 8th gen. VFR in twisties (the only reason to own a VFR!) is a damned fast rider. How fast do you want to go in a straight line??

There are, in reality, very few of those type owners among us. Sorry, that wasn't a very dramatic answer.....; )

16. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Totally agree, did 211 miles on Wednesday and I was never in a higher gear than 4th for the majority of it. Point to point I'm as fast on the VFR as I was on my ZX10R.

17. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    tyarosevich if this directed to me I may have made a mistake about adding the 2015 in that statement. I was talking about the weird looking 2016. Thanks for letting me clarify.

18. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Link to this new 2016 Vfr please.

19. jethro911

jethro911 Member

Canada
    Map
  20. Badbilly

United States
    Does this mean that the fast guys here aren't really fast guys?

Kinda reminds me of the dudes that claim to know everything aboot computers.