Anyone with the 8th generation know why Honda did not put out a 1000 instead of the 800?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Bubba Utah, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Ahh, you may wish to rethink that response. You are ten years early! The CBR900RR was released in 1993.

2. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Careful, you are dating yourself!

Gator likes this.
  3. BiKenG

BiKenG New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    You know that's nonsense, right? There is never, anything "lying around". Parts are made on demand. The production process described as 'Just In Time' is totally correct. As an assembly worker's supply is close to being exhausted, a truck arrives at that point with new stock, just in time. There are no warehouses that stockpile parts for use on the production line, that's only used for the spare parts supply process.

And yes, I have been there and seen it working.

At this point in time, I cannot see Honda making a VFR1000. Yes an RVF1000 is in the pipeline, but having got their fingers burned by making the larger VFR that customers supposedly wanted, I cannot see them doing that again in the near future. If you want a big VFR, get a VFR1200. It IS a fantastic bike if you ignore the front plastics - I just took 'em off :). But then the 6th Gen V-Tec was never a 'looker' either.

fink likes this.
  4. Thomas Gessner

Thomas Gessner New Member

Germany
    Map
    I actually don‘t. This information comes from three different and reputable media sources in Germany when they reviewed the RC79 after the press launch: Motorrad Magazin MO, issue 6/14, Heise Autos (https://www.heise.de/autos) and Mojomag (www.mojomag.de).

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

5. BiKenG

BiKenG New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Well I've no idea what any magazine may believe, but I used to work for Honda and have seen the production lines in Japan and trust me, they do NOT have stockpiles of engines and chassis as you suggest. That is fundamentally NOT how they operate. Really.

As I said, if you want a big VFR, get a VFR1200, it's a great bike. If you want a big RVF, wait a few months (could be a year or so).

6. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Suspect there will be no 9th gen. VFR. Why in the world would Honda do that after stupidly offering a bike that doesn't sell, but has to be heavily discounted year after year? Honda doesn't market or sell VFR's well, obviously.

7. Zeta

Zeta New Member

United States
    You are right about marketing here in the states; however, very good following in Europe with cc license regs and all. In reality VFR's aren't marketed at all, folks that want them, know them. It is a great bike for me as I'm not a racer but a spirited rider that thinks nothing of a 400 mi day or multi-mile month long trips. I am new to the VFR world, but not to motorcycling. IMO they are steals at around $7k. Just ordered Shad bags and for less than $7k total I have a great sport touring bike that will fill-the-bill, is comfortable to me, looks good, gets ~50mpg, and should take me whereever I decide to go with little to no headaches. I thank Honda for bringing the 8th gen here even if it is a no win situation for them, but for me--winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Bubba Utah and PetePower like this.
  8. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Just because it doesn’t sell in the US of A doesn’t mean that it doesn’t sell anywhere else.

There are also a few bikes that you don’t get over there either.

Vfr12 not for sale now in US but still selling everywhere else. I think the big problem with the 800 was that it offered 2 versions with you and the “DLX” only everywhere else so in doing so shot itself in the foot.

Bubba Utah, Thumbs and Allyance like this.
  9. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I'll disagree a bit - yes, the 8th gen was a sales flop in the USA, but it did sell. I bet Honda has sold more 8th gens in the USA alone than the rest of the world combined - in fact it wouldn't surprise me if they sold more 8th gens in California alone than the rest of the world combined. As I stated earlier, don't forget that total motorcycle sales in the USA also flopped big time as a result of the recession - going from 1.1 million in 2007 down to about half a million in 2014 (just as the 8th gen came out) so I think the economy should get much of the blame along with changing taste for nakeds, etc. Honda just overestimated the demand in the USA. I predict Honda will come out with a 9th gen but unfortunately it won't be until about 2026 :D. I base my prediction on the fact it took Honda 12 years after releasing the 6th gen to give us the 8th gen - which some consider the real 7th gen. 2014 + 12 = 2026

10. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    We definitely disagree. When people get the giggles when they shop and allegedly buy VFR's for $7K new, resale is next to ridiculous, and overall motorcycle sales are declining, at least in the U. S. due to generational changes that came about at about the same time as the Great Democratic Recesssion (fuck being PC). Harley Davidson, inarguably the best motorcycle marketers in the world is suffering mightily due to generational issues. It's easy and interesting to see them trying to change their marketing demographics as fast as they can. BMW seems to be doing well but they are anything but a U. S. high volume bike. Look at the Dow Jones graph since 2008. There's money around.

So, no, I really don't think Honda views selling more VFR's at close to half list price as a good business decision. "Let's sell more of them in the U. S. so we can lose more money." How much did you pay for your VFR? How much is is worth on the used market? I've had VFR's for a long time and they, as well as motorcycles in general, have become less interesting to people that could be riding them. The awesome places I used to ride (and still do) were crowded with bikes before Nobama was elected. They aren't any longer. Just my opinion. Everyone has one. ; )

11. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I think that I will drink a beer and contemplate. Well, that is with not being said but, I think that the assumption that the U.S. market rules the production decisions for Honda is foolish to assume. The world market as a whole is much more profitable. I know that the U.S. is a major factor, but to say we can decide what & why they are doing things is nothing short of money. I really don't care about resell. My insurance still has my value greater than my payoff! I am know going back to my beer, buying a tail tidy online and making spaghetti. ;-)

12. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    So naff all chance of seeing a 1000cc version that everyone is wanting then.