Baja 1000 Disappointment

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Miketegra, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Miketegra

Miketegra New Member

Well, my good friend Gary Medlin entered this year's Baja 1000 as the anchorman for a 4 man crew running on an XR650. After months of planning, bike building, practicing, and more planning, they headed out from sleepy North Carolina, and made their way across the county and down to the Baja Peninsula.
    The poor guy waited for hours and hours out in the desert (at a well-equiped pit at least) only to find out that the first rider wore himself out, crashed a few times, and put them so far behind that they were not allowed to continue. Aggravating to say the least. To add injury to insult, Gary severely sprained his ankle in a "cervesa accident" at the beach. To add further insult, the day after he got back, someone broke into his shop and stole his XR650R set up as a Super-Moto. He had an extremely rare custom exhaust on it, and only by the grace of the almighty was he able to (almost illegally :) ) get it registered as a street legal vehicle.

Anyway, just thought i would share some personal motorcycle racing news with the group here. There are a bunch of cool DVD's and google or youtube video's about the race I suggest you check out for some good entertainment.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    jeeze man, he should buy a lottery ticket cause he had to have all his bad luck used up in the last week or so.

3. Miketegra

Miketegra New Member

Yeah, and luckily, North Carolina just recently decided to join all of the other idiotic states that have a lottery. There are 24 different scratch and lose games they offer. They even have a Carolina Hurricanes (hockey) scratch and lose. The 'Canes lose one cool point for that. What really sucks is that every time I go to a convenience store, I'm invariably waiting behind some poor schmuck trying to figure out how to throw away their last dollars. I'm thinking to myself....give the freaking money to ME, the outcome is almost assured to be the same....hah. SUPPOSEDLY, the money goes towards education, although how much gets sucked up into the beauracracy, who knows? Taking from the dumb and giving it to those who want education does seem to make sense in some backwards kinda way.
    Anyway, you're right, the guy is due for some good luck....let's hope he gets some !

Mike

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I had to check and make sure we were in anything goes before I replied. I have a tendency to wander off topic. Yeah, I am one of the few people who is ahead on the lottery. I won like $12 and have only bought tix a few times. If I buy any more I am sure to lose. :) So any chance on your buddy getting his bike back? I had a dirtbike stolen and my cousin spotted it over in the next county. We went Sctoland Yard on their ass and tracked them down. I waited in the new "owners" yard until the Sheriff arrived.