Battery and charging system question, plus cooling question

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Wheatchex, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Wheatchex

Wheatchex New Member

United States
    2007 VFR. Ok, here's the story. Coming home from work a week ago, my dash went completely dead. I was in traffic earlier and the bike had gone up to 230ish F. Once on the road temp dropped and the dash went dead. It came back on, then went out again. it did this a couple of more times and then it flickered when I went over a bump then out. I was abut 15 miles from home and figured that if the bike was going to keep running I was going to go for it. About a mile from my exit I couldn't give it gas with out it bogging. Got off the freeway the bike still running and had to stop at a light. Got moving, giving gas more than a crack would cause the bike to stumble. Got to within a block of home and the bike died completely. No lights, nothing. Completely dead. Took battery out and it was about 10% charged according to the battery charger. Charged it and took it to motorcycle shop to check last saturday. They tested it as good. Put back on the charger. Today I did the drill.
    12.4 V disconnected from charger but not in bike
    battery voltage:
    14.3ishVDC at idle.
    14.2 ish VDC at 5000k
    Stator Resistance:
    AB: .4 ohms
    AC: .4 ohms
    BC: .4 ohms
    Terminals on stator side appeared to be a bit corroded but connector was not burned or discolored.

Continuity to ground:
    All: infintiy ohms. meaning no connections/shorts

AC stator volts:
    At idle 1500 rpms
    21-22ACV on all three combinations.

Couldn't do 5k rpms as I was by myself.

So where do i go next?

Also the bike seems to overheat easily in traffic. it's gotten up to 240F but once I got moving it got better. Checked coolant level in reservoir and in radiator, both are normal. Fan seems to work ok, but once temp gets above 225 it keeps going up. Normally on highway I'm around 200F. I need some suggestions.

Thank you all for any suggestions in advance.
    Brian

2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    My guess would be your RR, but you need to check stator voltage at 5000 to be sure.
    Strongly recommend that you get rid of the stator to RR connector as this is the biggest culprit of all electrical faults on our bikes.
    Cooling system needs to be in great condition to function correctly, as VFRs run hot as is, and it doesn't take much to bring it all undone.
    Might be time for a new thermostat.

3. Wheatchex

Wheatchex New Member

United States
    Just ran the stator output AC voltage at 5000 rpm. 64-65 VAC on all three combinations. I'm at a loss other than to say the battery is bad? Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Brian

4. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    The voltage looks fine.
    Battery seems low, my battery after a week not being used is at 13.1v which is normal.
    Get rid of the stator connector and solder.
    Also check the RR to battery connector, the main earth block, and the main fuse connector.

The overheating bit might just need a good clean and service.
    Worn thermostat can make bike run hot fast, and long to cool.
    They do run hot in traffic.
    Make sure your fan is coming on at around 220F.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    +1 on this OZ VFR - have a read of this link http://www.whitedogbatteries.com/wdblg/battery-faqs/#more-35 (See this FAQ - How can I check if my battery is fully charged?). Batteries do not last forever and as you will see basically your battery is now on its way out so definitely replace it before it can potentially trigger damage to RR and stator as they will already be working harder than usual just to keep the bike running.

Fit a new battery and maybe fit a cheapo eBay LED voltmeter (one with a numerical display). Whilst these are not too accurate and won't stop problems, they will allow you to keep an eye on the charging system - what you are looking for is stable volts once the bike is fired up. If you see the volts shoot through the roof or drop alarmingly it will give you a chance to head some place safe before whatever charge is left in the battery is gone and you find yourself stranded by the roadside.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

SkiMad